brojob's Head of Security Application
Usual character name: Barry Burbuckle
BYOND username: brojob
Discord username (if you are on our discord):  stanley
Recommended by (if applicable): N/A
Goon servers you play: Goon 1

Reason for application: I am an avid player of security, and have tried my hand a few times at HoS as mentors can play on Fridays. I feel ready now to apply for the position as I've been playing on Goon for a couple years and am confident in my abilities to lead and cooperate with security to ensure a mostly functional and efficient team when dealing with antagonists or other troublemakers found on the station.

Security experience (300 word minimum): I've been playing on Goon since 2016, and have played sec heavily from 2017-19. I still play security frequently, however those years were when I was playing as sec probably every other if not every day. Nowadays, an average security shift for me is a constant patrol around the station, investigating and communicating with crewmembers to establish rapport and encourage crew members to report bad behavior as they know security is less likely to lock them up in the brig and throw away the key while I'm on shift. I think communication in general is what drives a successful round from security's perspective, whether that is making sure your team is staying active on comms and individual members reporting on what situation they're pursuing/investigating, or the crewmembers having a direct line to sec and believing in the reliability when dealing with a threat. Security is definitely a larger role than just dealing with antagonists, security is to deal with anyone breaking the law and there are multiple ways of dealing with someone rather than tasing and cuffing them. Knowing your arsenal as a security officer is pivotal for you to be an effective officer, so when there are minute offenses committed (stealing a toolbox or trespassing) it's a much better alternative to ticket/fine the offender. A problem I usually see with security is the dedication of their resources is sometimes too focused on a trivial matter when a larger threat is looming on the station. It is very easy to get tunnel vision as a security officer because you end up so focused on wanting to deal with a certain antag/criminal that you don't perceive other threats and only have that one priority for the shift. I've been guilty of this myself, and as Head would promote a culture that encourages us to prioritize what is the most important situation to neutralize to ensure the safety of the station.

As I touched on before, security is not only permitted to deal with antagonists, you're an officer which is supposed to uphold space law. Unfortunately, it's a very common occurrence recently to see crewmembers break into areas they do not have access to, change AI laws because they're "meme laws" or promote an environment which actively and intentionally makes security's job harder or makes it much easier for an antagonist to conduct belligerent acts of violence against the crew. As someone who plays as a staffer often, I am all for gimmicks and jokes as long as they're not obscenely harmful and do not impose a barrier of function for staff. I know that we are not going to catch every Head of Personnel that gives out all access willy nilly, or stop every greytider from raiding mechanics lab for insuls and multitools, however my focus is rather to promote a more thoughtful environment for other staff to conduct their typical duties and to be aware of when you're acting out of pocket.

Answer two or more of the following:
  • What advice would you give to other sec players?
    Be confident in your decisions as a security officer. There will always be someone throwing "shitsec" around as you're performing your duties and ensuring the safety of your fellow crewmates. Don't let people's attitudes and displeasure of their arrest dissuade you from conducting your standard procedures while they are in custody. More times than not, the loudest detractors are usually the ones you want to put the most pressure on as they're typically antagonists, and since they're antags it's much more likely for them to throw criticism your way in order for you to give them an easy pass. However, with understanding the importance of confidence you should also be open to criticism from your teammates and other heads of staff, and recognize you're not going to make the right decision every time. Accounting for other points of view is pivotal for your success as a security officer, and as the server grows and changes so does the culture of it. Being able to adapt with that is what discerns an effective officer vs an ineffective one.

• Describe any differences in your playstyle when part of a full security team and when being the only security officer.
    The main difference in my playstyle is delegating my focus to which situation is affecting the station in a detrimental way. If I'm aware there's a blob and a traitor on the station, with the blob actively expanding and I've only received reports of the traitor possessing contraband, I am going after the blob due to it posing a larger threat to the crew. Recognizing where your energy needed is as a lone sec off is likely to increase the crew's cooperation and increase your productivity as an officer. Deal with the situation you're equipped to deal with at the time. When there are other teammates, I always encourage my team to stay active on comms. As I highlighted earlier, communication is without a doubt the most important tool you have as an officer. When your team is able to report on events and discern as a group which to deal with, not only is it efficient, it's also a little fulfilling as you're working together as a team to deal with the adversaries targeting the station.

Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):
  • Write a poem to convey your thoughts on security/NanoTrasen/space/bees/anything related to SS13.

The ruby suit is a simple display of authority
Yet the blue band carriers are commonly found ignoring me.
Don't blame them, it's a simple trait found in their nature
We'll have the throwers ready when we find them in the wizard's glacier
Before the engine melts, and the AI enables lethals
We'll be at your side shooting tasers at the people
The scallywags, nincompoops, and all unruly citizens
May we steal syndicate telecrystals to promote QM's dividends.
Have our blood stolen, equipment salvaged, and a sip of neurotoxin
With madness on this scale it must be rare, yet it happens so often
Canbombs, TTVs, and other lovely mixtures to have your limbs dancin'
What's there to complain about? It's just another shift with NanoTransen.

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will):
When I first started playing, I was a bit of a naughty bee and got banned a few times for doing unpleasant things to crewmates, I think the longest I was banned was for a week because I forcefed someone as a security officer. I also have received a fair share of warnings for my conduct, language, and other inappropriate actions I have done. I recognize that I am not perfect and will make mistakes, I am committed to helping this place be an entertaining and thoughtful experience and am always open to criticism. If I am correct, I don't believe I've received a ban since 2020, and my most recent warnings were for language use. 
We appreciate the time and effort you put into this application, but have decided to deny it due to a lack of community response. You're welcome to reapply in 60 days, which would be 23rd January 2024