Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Oops! All Cog 1!
i noticed that more than half of the rounds take place on cog 1 and thats a real shame since all the other maps are very very fun, i dont have anything against cog 1 but its getting repetitive for me. Did anything change? or do people like cog 1 so much? thoughs??
I think the reason on why a lot of people love cogmap1 is familiarity a lot of people know the layout of cogmap1 like the back of their hand and i mean the map is perfect tbh I would even put it up there with donut 3 and manta
(06-26-2023, 08:21 AM)Thebutler Wrote: manta

RIP Manta! May you never be forgotten as the most fun unfinished map!
(06-26-2023, 10:25 AM)Kotlol Wrote:
(06-26-2023, 08:21 AM)Thebutler Wrote: manta

RIP Manta! May you never be forgotten as the most fun unfinished map!
i agree, having the ship actually move is a great concept, plus more underwater maps!! maybe one day it will return
I AGREE WITH THIS VERY MUCH!!!

As much as I enjoy my familiarity with Cog1’s layout, it bothers me so much how it frequently wins the map vote. I enjoy all of the current in-rotation maps to a degree and think they should be seen more often.

Personally, I think that any map that wins the vote shouldn’t appear in the next vote. Heck, I wouldn’t be too upset if the map vote was removed entirely.
My favorite maps are:
Donut 3, Cog 1, Donut 2, Oshan, Kondaru and Cog 2 (Rip Manta)

Maps I am neutral to:
Destiny (missing?), Nadir, Clarion

Maps I despise!:
Atlas, Horizon (Rip thank kot), Mushroom(when it appears)
I agree with this tier list
(06-26-2023, 12:38 PM)Kotlol Wrote: My favorite maps are:
Donut 3, Cog 1, Donut 2, Oshan, Kondaru and Cog 2 (Rip Manta)

Maps I am neutral to:
Destiny (missing?), Nadir, Clarion

Maps I despise!:
Atlas, Horizon (Rip thank kot), Mushroom(when it appears)

My favorite maps are:
Cogmap1 donut 3 manta

Maps I am neutral to:
Oshan kondaru cogmap2 donut 2 nadir wrestlemap destiny and horizon (I've only played one round on destiny and horizon so I don't have much of an opinion)

Maps I despise!:
Atlas (the one thing that I like about this map is the utilization of the mining outpost).
[Image: JieDL1Z.png]

The least number of maps available is six so it's more of a player voting issue.
(06-27-2023, 02:21 AM)Katzen Wrote: [Image: JieDL1Z.png]

The least number of maps available is six so it's more of a player voting issue.

I would love to design maps like a few others do.. but I need some help in learning the program. Though there are some others doing amazing work too!
Just to help cure this station voting problem!
(06-27-2023, 07:35 AM)Kotlol Wrote:
(06-27-2023, 02:21 AM)Katzen Wrote: [Image: JieDL1Z.png]

I would love to design maps like a few others do.. but I need some help in learning the program. Though there are some others doing amazing work too!
Just to help cure this station voting problem!

I agree I have so many ideas for maps but the problem is I've never mapped before
Mapping in SDMM is actually pretty easy to do. First you'll have to get a working git repository running, there's a guide for that at https://hackmd.io/@goonstation/docs/%2F%...tion%2Fdev.

And staying on topic, I feel like the problem lays in the implementation of map voting. Very few people vote at all (post-vote tallies often show that the highest map had like 3 votes on a 70-pop server or so). Additionally, the unranked voting system with ties being decided by rng heavily incentivizes voting for all maps that the user would find acceptable to play on, to avoid spoiling the vote and ending up on a map that they find unacceptable. Since most people are generally not opposed to cog1 (though many may prefer another map), a significant amount include it in their vote to ensure that a may that they do oppose does not win. This results in cog1 always winning.

At the risk of being "that guy who doesnt shut up about voting systems", Instant-runoff voting would mostly solve this issue. Players would indicate their ranked preference for all maps, with the map(s) that received the least number of #1 choice votes being eliminated and and having its voters' #2 votes added to the score of those maps. This process continues until one map has the majority of votes.
Give a cumulative vote penalty based on how many times in a row a map has been run, IMO.
Cogmap 1 gets chosen for a variety of reasons. its easy to navigate, its departments are adequate, it has a generous botany.medbay, theres alot of maint areas, the arnory isn't too well defended, security is pretty easily breachable, command and AI are defensible but easily gotten into.

Nadir and Oshan have gimmick issues, Cog2 and Donut 2 are a little overly antag friendly, clarion and atlas are really anti antag, donut is just 'alot of peeps on'.

Kondaru and Cog1 are compromise maps. Nothings too good for anyone or bad for anyone. Cog 1 has all departments touching space also, which enables crime way more. So cog 1 wins out alot.;
I love Cog1
I'd say a slight fix is just make it so you can't vote on the map you are currently playing on.