Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cloner radstorm protection
Just a brief and niche issue, but when the cloner is cloning during a radstorm, could it not finish, as when inside the cloner you are protected from the storm, but I was cloned and a storm happened, so I was spit out and died from the rads. I understand that this issue is rare, but it sucks to have your round end like this, especially as you just returned to the round.
Don't quote me on this, but I recently learned that lockers can protect you from the radstorm. You may be able to be protected from the storm by hiding inside the clone scanner.

If you CANT then yeah there's something that needs to be done. Doctors make mistakes and the genetics thing can really slow down cloning. I'm not sure if locking you in the pod is the best idea, since that could result in people trolling and destroying that cloning pod the same way the porta-brig can be broken.
(06-22-2023, 08:21 PM)Dhaidburt Wrote: Don't quote me on this, but I recently learned that lockers can protect you from the radstorm. You may be able to be protected from the storm by hiding inside the clone scanner.

If you CANT then yeah there's something that needs to be done. Doctors make mistakes and the genetics thing can really slow down cloning. I'm not sure if locking you in the pod is the best idea, since that could result in people trolling and destroying that cloning pod the same way the porta-brig can be broken.

Yeah being inside any object protects you from rads. any object where pretty much your sprite cant be seen because its inside that object has this effect. 

(you can survive nuclear explosions in a fridge)

Also yeah, Im guessing what they mean is that the lock would be a auto response to that event rather than giving the ability to do so to doctors/genetics etc. so when the radstorm is in progress the pod locks.

Idk, Ive never seen this happen so I dont really have a opinion on it, I guess its better then no protection since right now you get cloned right into death.
Why not just have a "locker" next to the pod that is closed.

Like...the pod is there to make the genetics but the clone gets put in the locker next to it and can be opened by doctors or the clone.
Though it can also be used to lock a cloned antag in by security?
The whole point of a radstorm is that its an ermergency that take everyone by surprise. If the medical staff is paying attention, they have a few ways to handle a clone about to finish during a radstorm.

-They can eject the unfinished clone and attempt to stabilize it in a safe area.
-They can have a borg/roach/someone with rad resistance at the ready with the portable sleeper.
-There is usualy lockers next to cloning to collect the items of bodies. You can jump in there, unless you are really unlucky and they where left locked.
-Even if you die out of cloning, you will likely be the first to be recloned.
-There is also the unlikely niche possibility of adding the rad resistance gene to cloning with the gene power module.

If nobody is paying attention... yeah it sucks. But thats not a game balance issue. Its just medical not doing its job.
Firstly, cloning is OP as fuck. It does not need any QOL or buffs in any shape or form.

Secondly, when you are dead, you are at the whims of your collegues if and when they decide to clone you. If they decide to clone you during a radstom, thats their decision and something you got to live (your very short new life) with
(06-23-2023, 05:26 AM)Lord_earthfire Wrote: Firstly, cloning is OP as fuck. It does not need any QOL or buffs in any shape or form.

Secondly, when you are dead, you are at the whims of your collegues if and when they decide to clone you. If they decide to clone you during a radstom, thats their decision and something you got to live (your very short new life) with

Hard disagree...

Despite being "OP", there are a lot of "OP" ways of dealing with it or killing someone.
Blowing up Cloning is the most common approach.

And if we go with OP stuff.. RAD storms are OP like hell. Even roaches who used to be immune to it aren't anymore (just ultra resistant and can walk around freely for a lil while)
For some time...only maintance is available to walk in "unless" you got a perfect rad suit, or rad immunity from genetics.

So no one can do anything. The game has essentially STOPPED to just maintance shafts and the brig. It's very easy for antags to blow up a maintance shaft and screw over dozens of people... And on the right timing you might even get some corpses to decompose.

So what if cloning goes slow and a rad storm hits medbay? Welp whoever is in there is dead already... - 1 crewmember.. and now maintance is full of easy pick offs.. so one well timed bomb that's a cloning line of 10 to be cloned.. 

>_> If anything... RAD storms are much more OP while being random. And I didn't even add all the possible artifacts from it.
Also Rad storms basicly ruin Ranchers... So RAD Storm > Cloning.
(06-23-2023, 05:26 AM)Lord_earthfire Wrote: Firstly, cloning is OP as fuck. It does not need any QOL or buffs in any shape or form.

Secondly, when you are dead, you are at the whims of your collegues if and when they decide to clone you. If they decide to clone you during a radstom, thats their decision and something you got to live (your very short new life) w
Tbh it's not a big change or buff to cloning if anything it's a niche change so why not
(06-23-2023, 06:06 AM)Kotlol Wrote: >_> If anything... RAD storms are much more OP while being random. And I didn't even add all the possible artifacts from it.
Also Rad storms basicly ruin Ranchers... So RAD Storm > Cloning.

Sorry, but you should probably play more rancher then. If a radstorm ruins your rancher round, you seriously did something wrong.

(06-23-2023, 06:06 AM)Kotlol Wrote: Hard disagree...

Despite being "OP", there are a lot of "OP" ways of dealing with it or killing someone.
Blowing up Cloning is the most common approach.

And if we go with OP stuff.. RAD storms are OP like hell. Even roaches who used to be immune to it aren't anymore (just ultra resistant and can walk around freely for a lil while)
For some time...only maintance is available to walk in "unless" you got a perfect rad suit, or rad immunity from genetics.

So no one can do anything. The game has essentially STOPPED to just maintance shafts and the brig. It's very easy for antags to blow up a maintance shaft and screw over dozens of people... And on the right timing you might even get some corpses to decompose.

So what if cloning goes slow and a rad storm hits medbay? Welp whoever is in there is dead already... - 1 crewmember.. and now maintance is full of easy pick offs.. so one well timed bomb that's a cloning line of 10 to be cloned.. 

Cloning cannot be considered overpowered in comparison to stuff that does entirely different functions. So "cloning > Radstorms" is an quite empty argument. It can be only compared to stuff that fullfills the same function.

So to make it more obvious, cloning is overpowered in comparison to any other treatment that is more severe than application of sulfazide/charcoal/styptic. It requires a neglectable amount of recources (mostly provided by the dead person's corpse) and is avaible without any work right from the start with extremly minor repercussion except when spammed. And that will maybe change once 1 time cloning guarantees major cloning defects or the process requiring far more biomatter than a single corpse to function.