HoS Application - Ava / Amy Ward
Usual character name: Ava Ward / Amy Ward
BYOND username: Glamurio
Discord username (if you are on our discord): Ryou#1337
Recommended by (if applicable): Sonnzer
Goon servers you play: Goon 3, rarely Goon 1

Reason for application:
For the cape! Just kidding. Rounds are plain and simple more fun with a HoS around. It provides a real sense of security (pun intended) to know that when all hell breaks loose, there's someone you know you can rely on. From my personal experience, having a HoS around not only boosts morale, but also increases coordination and teamwork, ultimately leading to far more entertaining rounds, both for antags and non-antags. With that in mind, I'd love to participate in being a force of good, because creating an enjoyable experience for everyone is really a goal worth striving for. And I think I can pull that off.

Security experience (300 word minimum):

Hiya! When I first started playing the game, I was fascinated by Security as a department. I remember my first interaction when I was very new to the game was treating Security as a sort of 'kouban police station', where I could go and ask for directions, similar to those found in Japan. It wasn't long after that I started off joining some rounds as Security Assistant, and I received an exceptionally valuable training session during a quiet shift with only a few other officers, by an officer whose name I've unfortunately forgotten, but wish I remembered! That, for me, was a magical moment that really showcased the camaraderie of the department and made me fall in love with playing as part of the department. When I came up with the idea for Amy, her character was defined by her cheerful and delightfully ditzy nature that would always try her best to cheer up everyone around her. I felt like really taking those early experiences I've made and somehow giving back to the game by being as helpful as possible. One of my absolutely favorite reasons for playing Security is very simple, it provides high-tension, action-packed gameplay during a climax, and a relaxed, super engaging way to communicate with your fellow colleagues during downtime. That's not to say that other departments don't also have this, but by far there's no department where communication and teamwork are more highly valued and actively practiced than in Security, for obvious reasons! Playing as a sort of clumsy, selfless character really showcased the strengths of my fellow officers, be it providing back up, saving me from untimely death at the cost of their own, and inspiring me to do the same!

After some time, I also began playing a character called Ava. Amy was never really the best fit for HoS material, while it's important for the HoS to be a bit goofy, Amy was almost always a goof. Unlike Amy however, Ava is a lot more responsible, not a clutz and fits the whole image of a dependable Security Officer a lot more. Playing as Ava was a nice change of pace, and gave me a better perspective of what being a HoS would probably feel like. Because of her demeanor, I've had a couple people mistake me for the HoS at first glance, which was always a welcome sight, because it meant that I was doing a good job. Ultimately, it goes to show you that playing in Security, especially on RP, the way you talk and interact with people plays a huge role in how they perceive you. People are more likely to listen, and follow orders when you're concise and authorative, but they're far more likely to let their guard down when you're playful and goofy. Playing both characters gave me a really solid understanding of what situation calls for which, and ultimately just allows a lot of flexibility in the way you deal with people. Some people want you to be "Good Cop", others want you to be the "Bad Cop".

A significant aspect of the job is dealing with antagonists! Being able to engage with another player's villain fantasy is about the most fun you can have in this game, I adore antags that are creative in their idea, and love playing fully into it, whether through prolonged interrogations, or chasing them around the station. Adding to the drama of an antagonist, either by becoming a victim of theirs or finally taking them in is such a cool experience that makes me keep wanting to play. I've also come to realize that, many times, words speak far louder than actions! Having a frank discussion with someone, antag or not, can often result in a resolved situation much faster than blindly tasering them. Even if it results in them running away, I feel like chasing after them while using your whistle is much more engaging than simply taking out your gun and blasting. There are exceptions, of course! Sometimes there are too many antagonists to handle, and it becomes challenging to offer the same level of courtesy to everyone, so at times it's necessary to be more direct with your actions, but it's crucial to communicate the reasons behind them. You should never arrest someone without talking to them! When you have a breather, it's super important that players feel that they are being treated justly. After all, sometimes you might even have the wrong person, and as a player it can be quite frustrating to be taken in when you're not even being told why, just because you happened to be a suspect.

On that note, punishment and execution. It can be challenging to handle this aspect correctly, but it's a really important aspect of the job! When you have a confirmed evildoer in custody, it's paramount to understand if they are willingly staying, or if you're keeping them cooped up against their will. Some antags will happily spend 20 minutes telling you about their master plan, but others want to get back to business. If the round is still early, let them go! Especially if their crime is minor or whomever they murdered was successfully cloned, keeping someone locked up isn't engaging, and neither is killing someone 20 minutes into the shift. It's a completely different story when you have a mass-murdering changeling who's been chomping folks for 60 minutes, in such cases an execution is totally appropriate. Always make sure the punishment fits the crime!

Though, naturally it's not always so serious! In fact, most of the time it isn't! A significant portion of the time is spent sitting at reception, engaging in casual conversations with co-workers about coffee and donuts while waiting for any activity. Even in these low-stakes situations, you can find really good opportunities for a little fun. I've found one of my favorite part-time activities to be ticketing extremely mild wrongdoings. It's a silly way to engage and "punish" someone, and provides a good opportunity for others to react. Amy, as an underage officer, has also led to some humorous moments. At the end of the day, it's always important to realize that you're not just playing a game, you're playing a game with others, so having fun should always be on your bucket list!

Lastly, I'd like to discuss the importance of helping other officers! Not just assistants, who are obviously in need of a teacher, but also officers who just recently got access to the role. Playing Security is really difficult, so taking the time to teach someone the ropes, even if it takes 10 minutes or longer, can prove highly beneficial and truly worthwhile! It's never a bad idea to check in on someone who's clearly inexperienced and asking them "Need help?", most of the time they'll be very thankful and glad you asked because they may have been too awkward for it themselves. In a way I'm biased, one of my first shifts as an officer was very enriching, and I cannot help but feel I want to give back to others. So if I notice someone struggling or ask a question, I always address any inquiries they may have; provided the station isn't on fire!

Answer two or more of the following:
1. What advice would you give to other sec players?
Be your best self! Always remember that any of your actions also reflect on your fellow officers, and that leaving a bad impression gives everyone a bad name. Sometimes I see discussions of people complaining about Security being too harsh, and I think some of those complaints would go away if we all just acted a bit more respectful with our fellow crew mates! This goes out especially to newer recruits, not assistants mind you, those are usually cute and harmless, but officers that are new to the job. I've seen many, many times that they get really worked up over extremely minor transgressions, and not in a quirky "I'm going to ticket you for that!", but rather in a "slams the security alert and warns of criminal" kind of way. People doing harmless gimmicks, such as smashing tables or cutting down shrubs, are not worthy of actual brig time!

Beyond that, communication!! I know that if there's an emergency call, we all have it in our DNA to immediately start sprinting toward it, but sometimes it's worth it to take 10 seconds to type a quick message informing your team about where you're headed or what you're doing, before doing it! Even something as simple as "I'm on my way!" can make a lot of difference. I realize that this could come at the expense of the perpetrator getting away, or a crewmate ending up dead, but this delicate balance is important to foster a healthy and communicative playstyle for everyone.

2. What was one of your favorite security moments? (Either playing as a sec officer or interacting with one)
Oh! That one's easy! Half a year ago we had this Reverse Syndicate scenario, where the station had officially been taken over, but all of us Security Officers were the "antags". It was so unique and engaging, a lot of diplomacy happened, because we had to inherently play at a disadvantage because we had very little gear available. It was a really fun twist to have to play "sneaky" as an Officer with a coordinated team, and ironically felt almost like a round of Nuke Ops without the nuke!

3. Describe any differences in your playstyle when part of a full security team and when being the only security officer.
When I'm the only SecOff, my playstyle turns a lot more sedentary! I think it's very important to always have someone present in Security, a lot of people like to stop by and report findings or get help, and if they cannot find you, many won't go and try to radio you! The same is true for being in a full team, though a lot more time is spent patrolling and investigating, because you have the ability to divide your responsibilities.

Additionally, whenever we're very few people and without a HoS, I've had this gimmick of grabbing a beret and bedsheet and getting myself renamed to "Head of Safety", hehe.

Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):
1. Write a poem to convey your thoughts on security/NanoTrasen/space/bees/anything related to SS13.

This one goes out to Amy Ward.

In this very forum, a tale I shall spin,
Of a clumsy Security Officer, with a childish grin.
A protector of order, or so she'd aspire,
But her knack for mishaps would often backfire!

Batons and cuffs, her tools of the trade,
But oh, how often her hands betrayed!
She fumbled and dropped, losing her grip,
As her crewmates laughed with each clumsy slip.

Yet amidst the chaos and her awkward display,
There was something endearing in her own special way.
For despite her clumsy and ditzy demeanor,
She'd a heart which was kind, spirit that couldn't be keener.

She'd apologize profusely for her many mistakes,
But her colleagues forgave her, for goodness sakes.
For deep down, they knew, she did her best,
To protect and serve, even when distressed.

So here's to the Security Officer so unrefined,
Who stumbled through hallways, a jumble in mind.
Though her steps may be clumsy, her heart's in the right place,
A lovable character in the vastness of space!

2. What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run?
A security-run confectionary shop called "Security Sweets"! Basically, install all necessary appliances in the department to make and bake some sweets and pastries to serve for people!
"Securing the station, bite by bite!"

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will):
None! That I know of.  Sleeping bee
Ava is a reliable and skilled security officer, they know what they're doing and I stand by my recommendation.

+1
Lela likes. Decent person to RP with and had nothing but nice interactions. Would be a deceent Hos to serve as a new player to the game. a friendly face goes a long way!

+1
Smart, friendly, and competent. Cool under pressure and fun to RP with. Have had nothing but good interactions with all of their characters.

+1
I'd like to see a little more teaching done. Security infiltration as antag with your Security character can leave a foul taste. Pleasant and knowledgeable i like to have her around. Dependable.
I dont often play secoff but i do play a lot of AI and brobocop, fun to have amy and ava about in sec, and i think they do good!
I always enjoy seeing both Amy and Ava when playing security. You communicate well and make sure everyone involved is having fun. I've also seen you teach a few people recently which is definitely a good skill for a HoS to have. I'd like to see you lead and coordinate security teams more often though.
I've played with Ava a couple times, and I've since observed them for a few rounds. 

Foremost, I think they have the right attitude about playing sec. They have a good understanding of how to handle an antagonist to make for a more fun and interesting round. They know when to show a bit of leeway, rather than shutting down an antagonist's options entirely. I feel like what they wrote in their application speaks for itself.

They're a very communicative security player. From what I've seen they're pretty frequently keeping in touch on the radio and working with other officers to catch baddies!

More generally, I think they're a fun player! I've had a lot of laughs watching Amy Ward bumble around as a sillier security officer. I also had a round where Ava and I were the only security officers. It was just downright fun catching baddies with them and roleplaying together. There was a player portraying a sillier, incompetent antagonist that was harassing us but failing to pose a real threat. Ava encouraged for a bit more leeway towards this player than I would have otherwise given them. 

I'm glad I heeded Ava, because it ended up in a really hilarious situation on the escape shuttle. This incompetent traitor popped out of a locker in the security room on the shuttle. They finally succeeded in being a threat and shot my character with a radbow. This was a round where my character was significantly injured after every interaction with an antagonist. It made for a funny moment when the round ended and my character finally snapped and beat down on this traitor. I probably wouldn't have had such a satisfying close to the round, if I had listened to my instincts and just brought the guy in earlier in the round.

With that in mind, I think that Ava's attitude will rub off on newer players just like it did on me in that instance.

I'm pretty confident that giving Ava the beret will make for more fun rounds, and contribute to a good security culture. +1
I've found Glamurio to be a great officer, that is active on comms and fair to antags.
The only concern I have is the occasionnal lack of deciseveness, but I am certain it will come with time.

Overall, I am mostly confident they will make a good HoS.
Amy is a fun player, pleasant to be around, and she always has a joyful presence that can make a shift much more palatable when dealing with complex or chaotic situations. She would make a great Head of Security.
Happy to toss in a +1. Level-headed, communicative, and pitches in. No concerns on any fronts from me.

Also a god-tier poem. *chef's kiss*
After review of community feedback and internal deliberation, we have accepted your application to become a HoS. Congrats! Please familiarize yourself with our HoS Guidelines and reach out anytime if you have any concerns or questions.