Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Face Concealing masks vs Eye Protection
TLDR: face concealing masks shouldnt cover eye protection eyewear

at the moment, there are two antags that specifically require your victims to not have eye protection (namely, Revs, and Vampires). If your intended victim is wearing  a mask which can conceal identity (clown mask, horse mask, many space helmets, paper mask, gas mask... the list goes on) the only way to find out if your target has eye protection is to get adjacent to them and show inventory. Naturally, the nerds who rush sunnies and gas masks every round avoid having people they dont know standing next to them at all costs.

Its one thing knowing not to try and revflash / vamp glare someone who is wearing eye protection. this is a classic new player trap. its another entirely to not be able to recognise threats or targets at a distance due to something that can be worn without consequence (bar some overeager secoff doing a mask check because they have nothing better to do)

My proposal would be that either eyewear cannot be worn over anything that completely obscures your face. trying to do so would just give you a "this does not fit over your eyewear" message, Alternatively, make sunglasses / sechuds etc appear over any masks worn (which seems more realistic anyway, how are you gonna put a gas mask on over a pair of sunglasses and not ruin them / the bridge of your nose.)

This would encourage use of eye implants which could be worn under glasses, if people want to turbonerd the self surgery and pony up the materials / credits to purchase them.

(As a side note, as I am unsure if they currently do or do not with headsets being hidden, but any total ear protection items (ear muffs, yeti muffs) should also appear over headwear / masks in a similar fashion)
space goose space goose space goose space goose
Frankly, I don’t think that sunglasses should completely cancel out vampire’s/head revolutionary’s main method of attack in the first place, at least not regular sunglasses that is.
The change for masks concealing eyewear was made with this interaction in mind (at least the time when it was proposed and implemented).

It was, if i recall corretly, the specific reason it was implemented. To make people be surprised by antags wearing sunglasses under face concealing masks.

And given the rarity of 100% eye protection sunglasses, i don't think this needs a change, at all. Powergamers rushing the sunglasses is in my eyes not really an issue that
is big enough require a change to strip antags of the possibility to stay as unknown and don't leave them open to flashes.

Beyond that, vampire flash is strong enough as-is. It does not need a buff,

What i can see, though, is the rev flash. I wouldn't mind it being able to get through shades. Then again, revs don't got a problem getting a big enough horde because, again, 100% protective shades are rare.
Basicly put.. I think these antags should have a way to deal with breaking glasses like these, but by doing so are "GIVING UP STEALTH" to do so.

You want to destroy shades? Then let them but you are giving a LOUD BOOMING sound... saying: "Antag here"
The element of uncertainties is an important part of the ss13 experience.

The staffie carrying you to medbay might pause tighten the grip and slide into a bush as they eat you..

They guy in commando armor whips out his space 12 and shoots then wizard.

The janitor standing there quietly im a biosuit is the the hos undercover.

The juicy corpse to drink is the chaplain trying to tempt you

Thats part of thw thrill