Elias Martin's Head of Security Application
Usual character name: Elias Martin bee
BYOND username: EtherealSalt
Discord username (if you are on our discord): EtherealSalt #6422
Recommended by (if applicable): Charles Fallare ( OOC: Piesuu ); Alex Wilo ( OOC: Chatauscours )
Goon servers you play: 3 & 4

[b]Reason for application: [/b]During my rounds as a Security Officer, I've noticed how the presence of a HoS can be essential for the proper functioning of the Security Department, allowing for a more enjoyable shift for everyone involved, including the Antags, especially when the rest of Security is being a bit too harsh on them. After being reccomended this role multiple times, I now believe I have the experience to try and take up the title of HoS, doing my best ensure that everyone is having fun, while coordinating the Security Department to guarantee the safety of the Station and its crew.

Security experience (300 word minimum): I started playing Space Station 13 about a year ago, and Security quickly became my favourite job. I've spent quite a lot of time playing as a member of Security, learning everything I could from the senior officers I worked with, and I would be sure to learn the rest through field experience.

One of the first things that is and should be taught to every new Security Officer and Assistant is to always communicate with the rest of the team, as it's a good way to keep track of everything that happends during the shift, and it's also a nice way to familiarize oneself with the Department and our Duty to keep the Station safe. I've always enjoyed making use of the radio to chat with the rest of Security, making sure that everyone is safe and having fun, and coordinating our efforts to complete a common objective.

I've also learned to make use of the time I have in a productive way, as I like working on the department's equipment, such as tinkering with the Security Pods and improving them however I can or preparing the Interrogation room, making sure that we're always ready to face the next case the best shape possible.

When it comes to dealing with Criminals or Antags, I've learnt how to remain calm during stressful events, and I like to approach the problems we might encounter with a positive attitude; when it comes to confronting a perp, I'll always make sure calmly approach them, using the whistle to grab their attention if necessary, and warn them of their actions, ticketing them or peacefully bringing them in without cuffs, if those aren't necessary; if they keep running, I'll make use of the whistle for a few more seconds, after which I'll attempt to subdue them, and swiftly bring them in the Security department to confront them about their actions.

As a last note, I always do my best to help everyone who's in need, and I never once lost my temper in OOC chat, as I like treat everyone with respect, and if I do something that might have hurt someone, I'll personally apologize for it.

Answer two or more of the following:
  • What advice would you give to other sec players?
    It's always good to remember that communication is the key to achieving success. Keeping in touch with the rest of Security is essential to having a well coordinated team, which allows us to be more efficient on the line of duty; Something that's also good to keep in mind is that Antags are not our enemy, and killing them on the spot will most likely result a dull experience with little fun to be had for both parties; talking with them and giving them a second chance should not only prove a more enjoyable experience, but it will also keep the flow of the round moving for everyone else as well. One last piece of advice that I would like to mention is to always remember to make use of tickets and fines when necessary, as not only it is a good way to deal with minor crimes without having to brig the perp, but it's also a good way to record and keep track of the crimes commited by them.
  • What was one of your favorite security moments? (Either playing as a sec officer or interacting with one)
    During one of my first rounds as a thief, I was arrested by a NTSC after having killed a Janitor with Fibre Wire. During the interrogation, the NTSC released me from the Port-a-brig and, after being searched for Contraband, we started talking. In the middle of a discussion involving my motivations, the Consultant asked me to stop for a few seconds, and proceeded to clean both their and my shoes using the NT Handkerchief, and started a monologue during which they explained that half of the job of a Security Officer is to keep their gear and themselves clean, as to let everyone know that they had everything under control, and that they could cleanly and swiftly deal with any and all Security threats on board of the Station, after which the asked me if I was one such threat. I immediately confessed every crime I had commited during the shift, and I've since then said that Elias' favourite Security Item is the NT Handkerchief.

Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun)
  • What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run?
    I was once part of a full Security team where everyone was dressed as a Clown, and we would go around the station making use of some of the Clown's gear instead of our own; for example, we would make use of the Clown Horn instead of our whistles, which led to some hilarious RP moments, with half of the station going mad because they would hear the honking of our horns even when there was none.
Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will): [b]EtherealSalt banned by leeanei[/b]
I was banned for messing with the AI Laws as a Captain, causing a Cyborg to become rogue due to a series of events that were ultimately my fault. I've since then grown from this experience, using the wiki to inform myself of what's tolerated and what's not. I'll do my best to ensure that this never happends again.
Personally, I think the application is a bit short, while you technically filled out everything, considering how talkative you usually are ingame, I'd have expected you to be a bit more wordy here too! But, I shan't be the one to judge you for it.

I see Elias around a lot, think we have fairly compatible time slots or they are playing a lot of Security. And that's a good thing, because Elias is a great member of Security, they're always friendly and approachable and do very well with the RP aspect of the game. They've shown they're very communicative, respond to calls, and are overall someone that'd make a good fit on the HoS roster.
Elias is fair. I'd like to see Elias take a more active hand in teaching or leading. Elias rushes to every call, but one thing i always like to see more would be Elias taking less experienced officers around to the calls and teaching.
Elias is a good officer, that I've both seen teach new secasses and lead the team when no HoS is present.
They are also focused on improvement and take feedback seriousely.
I stand by my recommendation and am positive they will make a good HoS.
Elias is a friendly and reliable officer, and I think would be a good fit for HoS. 

+1
I see Elias often and it's always a pleasure to have them on the team. I see them take the lead and guide the team regularly, and they are fair with antags without being too harsh or too lenient. I enjoy working with and against Elias, depending on my role. +1
Elias is a good officer that has consistently gone out above and beyond to make sure the shift keeps on going and security remains a constant presence, they have been fair in their judgments and processing of antags giving everyone a fair chance to enjoy the round.

I have served both alongside and above them as a security officer and captain. they have been robust and fair doing their best to make sure everyone has a good time on the station,
Salt is a good officer and pleasant to play with, but I feel like you still have some room for improvement. Try to communicate and interact more with security member you are not familiar with. Ask them for help or check up on them, remember that security will always have some new people or unfamiliar old player who just came back. I have seen you teaching a new player but you didn't went straight to teach them or asked other sec member nearby for help who were not busy because you told me you were waiting for a security member who is more familiar to you even though they were outside doing something else.

Though, I would say you are a good learner and it would be nice if you took some times and improve more.
(06-28-2023, 04:57 PM)Emimiyu Wrote: Although I always appriciate costructive criticism,  I believe I know which episode you're mentioning, and I would like to say that it all might have been a big misunderstanding. The reason why you saw me struggling when teaching to the Assistant in question is because they had made a very specific request to be trained  by the Detectieve of the round; after waiting for the Detectieve's response and not receving it, I started training them. During said training, we had three officers giving them conflicting information and explaining different aspects of our job at the same time, so I requested some privacy during our training to avoid confusion; after having explained the basics of our equipment and noticed they were starting to get bored, I than brought them out of our office on patrol with me for the rest of the shift, where I tought them how to use tickets, fines and secmate. 

In case I was wrong and this was not the case you mentioned on your post, I'm sorry for the confusion, and I will do my best to avoid repeating such mistakes, as communication with new players is essential, and teaching them the basics is always a priority. Thank you for your post and the feedback in it.
(06-28-2023, 11:13 PM)EtherealSalt Wrote:
(06-28-2023, 04:57 PM)Emimiyu Wrote: Although I always appriciate costructive criticism,  I believe I know which episode you're mentioning, and I would like to say that it all might have been a big misunderstanding. The reason why you saw me struggling when teaching to the Assistant in question is because they had made a very specific request to be trained  by the Detectieve of the round; after waiting for the Detectieve's response and not receving it, I started training them. During said training, we had three officers giving them conflicting information and explaining different aspects of our job at the same time, so I requested some privacy during our training to avoid confusion; after having explained the basics of our equipment and noticed they were starting to get bored, I than brought them out of our office on patrol with me for the rest of the shift, where I tought them how to use tickets, fines and secmate. 

In case I was wrong and this was not the case you mentioned on your post, I'm sorry for the confusion, and I will do my best to avoid repeating such mistakes, as communication with new players is essential, and teaching them the basics is always a priority. Thank you for your post and the feedback in it.
Clarification to the round I refer to, I was a detective and you told me to wait for this one officer instead. Which brings up a confusion why do you need to wait that one specific officer when we have another officer and a detective nearby.
(06-28-2023, 04:57 PM)Emimiyu Wrote: Clarification to the round I refer to, I was a detective and you told me to wait for this one officer instead. Which brings up a confusion why do you need to wait that one specific officer when we have another officer and a detective nearby.

It seems that I have confused a few roles of the round, then. I'm sorry for this mistake, but my point still stands: they had requested the help of another officer first, and I didn't want to deny their request, especially after having asked them if they were sure about it. I'm sorry for the confusion caused by my argument, but I didn't want to force myself upon a new player, especially if they felt more confortable being taught by another. Thank you for your clarification.
competent and fun to play with, i see elias often and its nice to see them in game!
I really like Ellias. He is a professional in his field. I'm all for him.
Elias is a good and dependable officer who I always enjoy seeing around. They treat both the crew and the antagonists fairly, and communicate very well with their own team. I believe they would handle the role of a HoS well.
Elias is a capable, dependable, and communicative officer - the last both with the sec team, and with other services; giving everyone a chance to do their jobs and have some fun.