Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.8 Average
pin rebalance?
At the moment, pins can be maintained absurdly long, in part because resisting a pin consumes far more stamina that a pin being resisted.  From observing the person holding the pin, at default stamina regen, will hover around 180-190 stamina while the person being pinned will continue to hemorrhage as they resist.

(I had originally thought that pinning someone flat out disabled stamina regen, but either I'm misremembering, it was changed, or it's bugged.)

My understanding was that pins were intended to be a temporary way to lock someone down and I'm regularly seeing pins maintained for a minute or more.  Uncuffing yourself takes less time!  I just feel like the numbers could be looked at, I dunno.
Idea: maybe make it so that you could kick upward this would take a good chunk of stamina and there would be a one in a three chance it would actually work
I dunno, pins are a great way to subdue someone for at least more than 30 seconds such as a vampire or (sometimes) a changeling who can break out of cuffs easily and run away once their stun runs out. Pins also are basically the crew's civilian arrest, if they need to immobilize someone for some reason. Besides, it takes a hot second to actually get someone into a pin, which if they do, they sort of deserve it.
Make pinning take two hands
(06-14-2023, 12:51 PM)Mouse Wrote: At the moment, pins can be maintained absurdly long, in part because resisting a pin consumes far more stamina that a pin being resisted.  From observing the person holding the pin, at default stamina regen, will hover around 180-190 stamina while the person being pinned will continue to hemorrhage as they resist.

(I had originally thought that pinning someone flat out disabled stamina regen, but either I'm misremembering, it was changed, or it's bugged.)

My understanding was that pins were intended to be a temporary way to lock someone down and I'm regularly seeing pins maintained for a minute or more.  Uncuffing yourself takes less time!  I just feel like the numbers could be looked at, I dunno.

Considering that being pinned requires alot of steps, I feel like it's suitably strong right now (Grab twice, then a duration to pin and THEN you're pinned)
Usually this happens because you're daydreaming or you were already stunned for a bit and wouldn't have been able to fight back anyways. I'm not on either end of this enough to say how much it needs nerfing, or if it even needs nerfing. 

I agree that you should be able to get away in some fashion though. I don't see this affecting sec all that much since they usually have cuffs at the ready, but antag to crew interactions just makes this all the more interesting.
(06-14-2023, 04:59 PM)Ikea Wrote: Make pinning take two hands

I feel like this'd cause more issues than it solves, considering that you wouldn't be able to cuff anyone after pinning them. Less of a nerf to security (STUN BATONS AHOYHOY) and more to antags who have some cuffs or duct tape or anything else they'd want to be doing with that 2nd hand while you're pinned.
To be honest, i think harshly reducing stamina regen on the one pinning you could be a good idea. Im thinking like -8 stam regen. That way, you will be very well capable of breaking out of the pin at some point.

Pins are a very good tool, but i think they csn need a slap on their wrist.
The thing about pins is...you and your pinner aren't moving and your attempts to knock em off are UNFOILABLE!
Unlike cuffs where if someone even bumps into you it's canceled... pins you can keep going forever technically.

Though a small nerf is fine I guess.
If you have a wrestling belt you should be able to kick out of a pin if you're in it less than 3 seconds like in wrestling. otherwise yeah, the pinning person should have their stamina Regen cut as they're holding down someone who is presumably struggling.
I think pinning is good the way it currently is. If pinning gets nerfed too much, people might switch to less fun chokeholds.

(06-14-2023, 04:59 PM)sIkea Wrote: Make pinning take two hands

in addition to the previous points, this would also prevent you from taking the pinned person's radio/shoes, which is something i think you should be able to do
a pin nerf would be great because it's pretty much the final nail in the coffin if you're stunned
(06-19-2023, 07:54 PM)babayetu83 Wrote: a pin nerf would be great because it's pretty much the final nail in the coffin if you're stunned

If you get stunned for long enough that you can be pinned, 90% of the time you would have lost even if pins didn't exist
(06-20-2023, 01:33 PM)valtsu0 Wrote:
(06-19-2023, 07:54 PM)babayetu83 Wrote: a pin nerf would be great because it's pretty much the final nail in the coffin if you're stunned

If you get stunned for long enough that you can be pinned, 90% of the time you would have lost even if pins didn't exist

i didn't say remove them, i just think if they were toned down some then you might have more fun scenarios where you might make it if you struggle hard enough vs being done like dinner
Bumping this because I was once again reminded of eternal pins.
(07-31-2023, 05:00 AM)Mouse Wrote: Bumping this because I was once again reminded of eternal pins.

Do you not try to struggle during the pin to knock someone off?
(07-31-2023, 06:02 AM)Kotlol Wrote:
(07-31-2023, 05:00 AM)Mouse Wrote: Bumping this because I was once again reminded of eternal pins.

Do you not try to struggle during the pin to knock someone off?

Struggling drains significantly more stamina from the person struggling than the person struggling against, each time you struggle you are less likely to break out.