Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[PR] Change Chemlab to store items in lab tables
Hello!

For those of you that don't know, each lab table in Chemistry (The black-topped ones with the white drawers) have a 13-slot inventory for Tiny and Small items that can be accessed by clicking on them with an empty hand. I say this because I've been told that many players... do not know about this! And it's a shame. Cog1 is famous for how easily the monkey that spawns there wrecks the place but if you look at how it starts...

[Image: image.png]

...Ough! Barely any space at all for beakers, because every single piece of important lab equipment is left on the tables. For comparison, here's how it'd look with everything in the drawers:

Note that 33 out of the 49 used inventory slots here were from the 3 boxes of patches and 1 box of syringes; because the boxes are Normal-sized items, they don't fit in the tables. They were emptied out and shoved in the crate of glass bottles, alongside an additional 3 beaker boxes that were emptied into the glassware fabricator. This... Is WAY nicer. It lets chemists use tables instead of the floor (which means that containers that would normally break when thrown can be placed anywhere on a tile instead of on the center) and greatly reduces the severity of future cluttering.

There IS a problem with this implementation: Players who don't know about the tables won't be able to find the equipment they know and love. These pitiable, clueless descendants of gophers will be faced with a "Stern Lab Safety Warning" on the otherwise pristine counters:

I'm willing to learn mapping to implement this. With the way coding is, it's probably going to be impossible, or kinda easy.
relocate chemlab monkey on cog1 to test chamber.
(06-01-2023, 10:06 AM)NOOT Wrote: relocate chemlab monkey on cog1 to test chamber.

Should been there from the start. Lab monkeys need to be in the test chamber from the start.
if we relocate the chemlab monkey, who will beat up the`se stinky scientists that don't move away from their dispenser when they misclick?
For the love of Buddha do this please
(06-01-2023, 10:08 AM)Kotlol Wrote:
(06-01-2023, 10:06 AM)NOOT Wrote: relocate chemlab monkey on cog1 to test chamber.

Should been there from the start. Lab monkeys need to be in the test chamber from the start.

Cog1 does this on purpose, see also the genebooth vending machine and the brig chute glass table. if you wanna try to change it... I have doubts.
please get that monkey out of chemistry im begging
Looking at the code, the easiest way to implement this (that doesn't fundamentally change the way the game sees lab tables) is to make preset lists of supplies, pack them into unique types of tables, and change the maps to use those tables. Most maps in rotation have between 5 and 10 tables (with Atlas and Kondaru and 1 and 4 respectively)... BUT, after stock of what all is on the counters on those maps, only two drawers are really needed to cover most of the needed equipment you'd find on a typical lab counter. Here's 6 different prospective inventory sets I came up with...

Basic Chem Supply Drawers
1x small beaker box
1x large beaker box
1x Pharmacopia
1x mechdropper
2x dropper
2x syringe
2x large beaker
1x reagent scanner

Auxiliary Chem Supply Drawers
1x patch box
1x syringe box
1x spectroscopic goggles
2x reagent scanner
1x 50u biodegradable welding fuel bottle
2x large beaker
2x small beaker

Clerical Supply Drawers
2x paper bin
1x pen
1x hand labeler
2x clipboard
1x rubber stamp
1x audio log
2x compact tape

Emergency Medical Drawers
This drawer seems pretty poorly-stocked compared to the rest.
1x toxin first aid kit
1x calomel auto-injector

Chem Recreation Drawers
(if not RD) The RD's only positive contribution to the station.
(If RD) Stocking this drawer was your greatest mistake.
1x floorpill bottle
2x weed leaf
1x igniter
2x trinket syringes
2x loose floorpills

Atlas Chem Supply Drawers
They really packed it in there, huh?
1x large beaker box
1x syringe box
1x patch box
1x hand labeler
1x clipboard
1x paper bin
1x toxin first aid kit
1x mechdropper
1x dropper
1x reagent scanner
1x spectroscopic goggles

I desire so strongly to put the Chem Recreation Drawers in the center of the lab table on Oshan, would fit there perfectly. Would like some feedback on the loadouts of these.

Also, please stop asking to move the monkey here, it's beyond the scope of the suggestion and frankly something I'm not willing to do. Moving all the clutter off the counters will already dramatically reduce how severely the monkey trashes the place.
(06-01-2023, 01:48 PM)mintyphresh Wrote:
(06-01-2023, 10:08 AM)Kotlol Wrote:

Cog1 does this on purpose, see also the genebooth vending machine and the brig chute glass table. if you wanna try to change it... I have doubts.

I really don't get why, I just space it at roundstart every single time I roll scientist because it's so annoying to have everything tossed around. That monkey's just a nuissance
Committing necromancy to mention that a PR for this is now up-- It doesn't have the map changes, but contains all the tools I'd be using to do the changes.

https://github.com/goonstation/goonstation/pull/14808
the main reason that this wasn't done when the tables were around was how the table UI is really unintuitive for players, which is why nobody did this in the first place. I don't dislike the pre-stocked drawers, but they aren't obvious to new players.
(07-10-2023, 04:06 AM)TDHooligan Wrote: the main reason that this wasn't done when the tables were around was how the table UI is really unintuitive for players, which is why nobody did this in the first place. I don't dislike the pre-stocked drawers, but they aren't obvious to new players.

Do you mean accessing it, or how it pops up on the screen? Desk drawers & lab tables were recently changed to pop up in the center of the screen when opened, so it's pretty obvious when you've opened it. I could possibly add a double-alt-click tip about how to open drawers, but the paper's the best way IMO. I should probably make it fireproof / unable to be used for paper reagent, at least, or maybe a poster needs to be made.
As in most people won't know to click on the tables to find items. While it is a good idea for organizing, it's a very poor idea for newbies.
I dont think its a good idea. On roundstart, i see people in departments running left and right that are lying on tables.

I see, even for experienced players, people going around wach desk opening them to find stuff like beaker boxes.

Or people who got no idea of the chemistry department finding nothing at all.

Tools on roundstart should be very visible. If people want to hide them later, thats what the lab counters are for.
Remember this issue stems from a monkey spawning in the chem lab...

Also some departments put all their stuffs in lockers. So in my opinion... add chemical locker for this.

This idea ain't bad.. but it's just confusing for players since most don't know of the drawer system and their interaction ain't obvious then "unlock and open locker"

But the easier fix is just kicking the Cog 1 monkey out of chem lab.