Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Changes that the Chaplain could use.
As the Chaplain is now, it is a very Christianity themed role. The Chapel often has crosses in it and the Chaplain is stuck with a bible.

Now, while many may not care, this does pose a problem for Chaplains who are not playing a Christian character--especially when they're forced or expected to use the bible. So, I propose a few changes to the Chaplain that would be of great benefit.

1. Replace the default bible with a generic "Holy Book."

2. Add Job Rewards at lvl 0 for the Chaplain that allow them to pick out their specific book if they so wish.

3. Remove crosses from the Chapel.

The first point would make a blank slate, as to allow the user of it to claim it is whatever they wish--for instance, a Grimoire. The second point would allow for those who want to use a specific religious text to be able too--for example a Qur'an. The last point would simply help the previous two, by allowing the players to do whatever they wish with their chapel.

Now, I understand these changes are not vital. People have and will manage to do whatever religion they wish to do regardless of appearances. But, this will simply encourage more creativity in the Chaplain (or at least, I think so).
Something similiar been suggested before. If anything it would be nice we had a system where you can flip a button as a chaplain to have the chapel look differently.
It's only once but it would make each round the chapel something else.

Though as someone who frequently plays chaplain (chap main), I like doing specific goofy gimmicks on repeat. Flock cult being one. And rebuilding the chapel for it using whatever I can.

I just think we need a spriter to make different "Grimoires" and rename em. They all do the same thing but it's just flavoring.
Some folks have tried spriting other holy books, real and fictional. CloverofCrystal and Danger Noodle on discord are two I found.

The main issue I'm aware of is that adding any real books other than the bible is practically an open goal for xenophobic chuds. The bible works cause the game is (primarily) developed in western places where Christianity is the dominant religion, and the setting reflects that broad cultural base albeit with a hefty weeb thing mixed in. The hiding-shit-in-a-bible trope also originates in that milieu. If anyone would be pissed at us for making those jokes, it'd be us.
Rolling around the idea of chaplain making their own religion with vague symbols on the books. Dunno. I'm not a dev, but I don't hate the idea.
(05-31-2023, 09:33 AM)Cal Wrote: Rolling around the idea of chaplain making their own religion with vague symbols on the books. Dunno. I'm not a dev, but I don't hate the idea.

Yo, that's a sick idea. Kind of à la Civilization religion mechanics, where you can make "Sillyism" and just pick one of the pre-made icons, aided by a color picker like when you select your AI face. And then the entire church scenery gets plastered with said icons. Might not get rid of any Christian connotations, considering most chapels will still look very Christian, but at least it's a flavor addendum.
The religion creation thing sounds fun. Like in Rimworld where you just get a bunch of random icons.

I'd like if chaplains had some way to track rotting bodies somehow, would make working as a corpse cleaner easier. Ideally it would just be rotting bodies and not people who have just died.
I'd like if the chaplains special bible was 'the book of x' and they could click on it to change its name the first time. I'd also like it if there was a specializef wall and floor designer that onl works in the chapel theys tarted with in their inventory as well as a box of specialized furniature/
(05-31-2023, 12:06 PM)Silent Majority Wrote: I'd like if the chaplains special  bible was 'the book of x' and they could click on it to change its name the first time. I'd also like it if there was a specializef wall and floor designer that onl works in the chapel theys tarted with in their inventory as well as a box of specialized furniature/

This is the stuff I would like!
Being able to have some automatic control of the decor for the chapel is honestly a great idea. Especially for the Evil Chaplain that might prefer a more menacing look then a pious one.
(05-30-2023, 04:16 PM)Smil Wrote: As the Chaplain is now, it is a very Christianity themed role. The Chapel often has crosses in it and the Chaplain is stuck with a bible.

Now, while many may not care, this does pose a problem for Chaplains who are not playing a Christian character--especially when they're forced or expected to use the bible. So, I propose a few changes to the Chaplain that would be of great benefit.

1. Replace the default bible with a generic "Holy Book."

2. Add Job Rewards at lvl 0 for the Chaplain that allow them to pick out their specific book if they so wish.

3. Remove crosses from the Chapel.

The first point would make a blank slate, as to allow the user of it to claim it is whatever they wish--for instance, a Grimoire. The second point would allow for those who want to use a specific religious text to be able too--for example a Qur'an. The last point would simply help the previous two, by allowing the players to do whatever they wish with their chapel.

Now, I understand these changes are not vital. People have and will manage to do whatever religion they wish to do regardless of appearances. But, this will simply encourage more creativity in the Chaplain (or at least, I think so).

My dude, you know the only religion is space Christianity, the gods would be very insulted by this