Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggestion: Cloner Packets Implementationn
So, recently, I've had an idea concerning a rough sketch of an implementation of packets into cloning. I have in mind something easy to use, yet balanced. I feel like it'd be more fun to make this process more involved somehow. Anyway, while thinking of this, some things came into mind:

THE GOOD
1. This creates an opportunity to give netpass_medical an actual use, making it so that the cloner only accepts packets with the netpass_medical included in them, which sounds fair enough. (Removing it from the captain's authentication disk and instead giving it a specific source would work best imo.)

2. May open possibilities for space/adventure zone exploration, possibly in the form of a special cloning module that enables packetry with a sensible drawback. (maybe like power consumption, network latency and/or a failure chance, both scaling according to distance to make it less reliable)

3. Furthers collaboration between Engineering and Medical beyond backup cloners.

THE BAD
3. Could put certain space lore-pieces in a rough spot.
Possible Solution: Packet Implementation will have lore and mechanical adjustments according to need.

4. Could be prone to abuse from annoying packet nerds. (looping a signal that deletes all cloning records, budget immortality, ejecting the prepared bodies, stuff like that)
Possible Solution: Require netpass_heads for commands that need higher clearance. (Latency and failure chances would also work in preventing this. To solve the immortality problem, no scan command support! You'll have to find another way to get that to work.)

THE I DUNNO

5. Could have some consequences on mindhack cloning setups, maybe?

Overall, this is just a rough suggestion of what would I believe would be pretty nifty to have in the near future. Thanks!
We don't want automated cloning. Getting back into the game should be action of other players. If there are ways to get into the game automatically it makes the job of antagonists way harder and sort of more nonsensical.
Cloners outputting packets or mechcomp signals could be cool though.
Let packets/mechcomp link the cloner and genetics so you can have clones come out with genes (good or bad) pre implemented
That's already a feature actually, there's a module which lets genetics put mutations on clones iirc.
The more you know~~~
This is canonically an exclusive, experimental package of the cloning system.
I agree that being able to automate clonening sounds like trouble. Cloning is already very powerfull and people should decide if you return on the station as a clone or a borg. Having the cloner send signals when e.g. ejecting new clones would be nice, though.

Make the cloner send people into a disposal system sounds like an awesone recipe fir some chaos. Or have them get gravitroned into dedicated "supply chamber" where fresh clothes await them.
Actually the cloner already sends PDA messages to medical PDAs on finishing a clone, you might be able to hijack that with some packet magic.
Thinking about it, a pressure sensor under the cloning pod would also reach equal functionality