Mentor Application: RubberRats (Sergeio Favero)
Usual character name: Sergeio Favero, rarely a handful of others
BYOND username: RubberRats
Discord username (if you are on our discord): RubberRats#8419
Recommended by (if applicable): N/A
Goon servers you play: 4 and sometimes 3

Reason for application + game experience (300 word minimum):

I have thought about this for a long time. Over the more than two years that I have been playing this game, it always makes me happy when I get to show a clearly new player a few pointers on their job. Nowadays, opportunities for me to do that are relatively sparse (Usually I go detective so 4 can have at least some security), though I still try to give some advice when I see someone struggling with their job.

One of my formative experiences with this game was being taught advanced engine setups back on Classic. A CE had latejoined on me working the TEG, did a few things to massively improve output, and offered to teach me how he did it. The next round he took me and a few other engineers and showed us all how to create a pipeburn. That was the experience that got me hooked on the game, and many months were had of engineer crews speedrunning in the quest for ever-higher power outputs. For the first time, I felt like I had a place in this game. I am applying for mentor because I want more opportunities to pass forward an experience like that.
I have made a few applications in the past, which have gotten sparse, mixed feedback. In the ~year since, I have undergone a lot of growth, and while I am far from perfect, I feel that I am more apt for this role than I have ever been.

The majority of my experience is in Engineering, Mining, Security, Janitorial, and Command, though I have at least an intermediate understanding of most jobs.
  • As an engineer, I understand the mechanics of all current engine types. This runs fairly deep, and I have devised high-output setups for both the singularity and the fission reactor. As previously mentioned, I have done pipeburns in the past, but that knowledge is a bit out of date at this point. I know how to use mechcomp, and have even built a few practical devices for it, such as an automated turbine control. I know how to do a bunch of miscellaneous repair work, though on RP there are not very many opportunities for that.
  • As a miner, I know how to avoid getting blown up and/or die to radiation exposure. I have experience in all forms of mining, including the magnet, trench/asteroid mining, pod mining, and the harmonic siphon, if you want to count that. I understand matsci, and how it applies to the tools I use. Mining is a role I usually take to relax, though having another person to bounce off of makes it much more entertaining. Showing people a few tricks I picked up to make things easier never gets old.
  • Most of my security experience is as a detective, though I will go officer sometimes. I have been playing this department a lot recently, because I feel that rounds with no security are a bit painful. I know how to use almost all of the equipment, including writing tickets, setting people to arrest, setting brig timers, and performing forensics. I have a particular aptitude with using forensics, in conjunction with the other scan functions on the detective PDA, to gather information and fill out a case. There have been a few times where I have taken a random crew under my wing as Junior Detective, and spent the entire round with them showing them the basics of security alongside a few more advanced uses of forensics.
  • I spent almost a year virtually no-lifing the janitor role. While I am less than proud of my conduct during that period, it still represents a significant chunk of my time here, and I have a lot of experience with the role. I at one point held a high rank on the leaderboard and am very familiar with all the quirks of the janitor equipment.
  • As command, I try to do a check in with every department I am responsible for early in the shift. If I see someone struggling with their job, I set aside some time to teach them. On occasion, someone approaches me directly for help. I am always happy to help, assuming I am not urgently needed elsewhere.

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will): None, to my knowledge.
Note that I (for whatever reason) already thought Rats was a mentor and never took issue with it, so I'm coming into this more biased.

+1
I don't think anyone is arguing with the fact that Rats is more than knowledgeable on goon's game mechanics, so I'm skipping over that. Not only does he know a lot about the game, but he also has demonstrated to me personally a good grasp on RP etiquette, such as how to make something fun for other people to engage with that doesn't overshadow the antags. (As an example, maybe some people can remember a couple Sergeio boxing matches) He was the first person to make an effort to LOOC to help me when I was clumsy and hadn't mellowed out yet, and that was one of the few interactions I had in my first few weeks the game that really felt like the other person actually wanted to be talking to me. (This would have been late fall of 2021, for reference) He's proven to be helpful with both game mechanics and RP, so I'd give it a yes.

I should probably clarify, I'm not saying I haven't seen Rats in game since 2021. We do run into each other less often lately, but the positive notes I mentioned are still relevant from the bits and pieces I've seen.
Surprised at the lack of responses. Pretty knowledgeable and generally polite, nice to talk to in Discord.

Your tone on RP can be abrasive and I think it would serve you well to use looc to communicate that you're roleplaying, but I personally can tell you are.
very active and nice in discord. I think i've interacted a couple times in rp but not often. still, just based on discord chats, would be good mentor material. To the point where i sometimes double take when i see him and his name isn't purple. silly brain mix it up sometime. +1
Always a joy to see Sergeio in the round! Wonderful RPer and always a helpful presence. Have seen them a lot in command and security. They've always demonstrated a strong knowledge of the workings of various departments and always willing to offer a helping a hand. +1 from me for sure.
After review of community feedback and internal deliberation, we have accepted your application to become a mentor. Congrats! Please familiarize yourself with our Mentor Guidelines and reach out anytime if you have any concerns or questions.