Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Fibre wire needs a change!
While theres alot of traitor items right now that get pushed to the side, in favour of a large offensive weapon such as the C saber or wrestle belt. The Fibre wire kinda stands out to me as a offensive item thats main premise is to be stealthy. This would automatically make it less viable for getting many kills and due to its vastly cheaper price it would clearly not be as good as them at killing.
gon get shot watch out
My point within this post is that the Fibre wire is honestly one of the weakest 3 TC items, especially considering the alternatives. like Bladed gloves, syringe gun, vuvzela gun, Supressed pistol, signal jammer. Right now the fibre wire works by standing behind a person and clicking on them while the fibre wire is being used in both hands. So far the mechanics on how it activates and how it gets people is fine. But the issue arises when that person is being choked. The person being choked most of the time has about a 2-4 second window to react to this, considering the 1 second time to wrap the fibre wire around someones neck and the noise it makes it is annoying when after doing this someone can instantly use disarm and spam block to get out of your grab. Boogiebot

Thats not even the main issue, thats just the start issue. The Real main issue is how long it takes to pull of. The Fibre wire requires you to do all these steps and the reward is a a 2 minute kill that although semi recently fixed with chokes reducing the loudness of gasping still makes a semi large amount of noise. This kill isnt fast and if its interrupted it doesnt even allow you to leave midway, since its o2 damage which means if you stop at 1 minute in its very possible for that person to just use a epi pen and be completely fine. Someone who is being killed by a Fibre wire can live until -600 overall health. Its a joke of a weapon and I hate to say it have literally never seen it used to kill more than 1 person, outside of my own experience. Jones the cat

In practice it requires the person to go through about 3 steps which arent really explained every well to the player. First Ive seen players attempt to kill me with it without using it in hand which presents the sprite and makes it very obvious, 2 if you do this and get someone in a choke it doesnt even end there. you need to tighten your grasp which isnt explained at all, this means that the person chokes slowly and doesnt do any of the brute or bleed damage. This makes it even easier to escape as you arent being quickly stam crit. Furthermore even if you do all these things instantly as you grab them, They still are able to get up after falling over and attempt to escape with relatively high success for the effort you have to go through. As well as this you better hope that the person your fibre wiring is already in a safe location because you aint moving when your killing them since using the Fibre wire makes you more slow than just carrying a dying person.

Compare this to another stealth mechanic like Vampire which can instant down a person and can kill a person in a minute, or even better. Changeling which despite having somewhat of a set up time takes 25 seconds to absorb someone. (obviously these are not the same as changeling is its own thing and a traitor can obviously buy other items to supplement the use of fibre wire) space bear

Speaking of supplements of the Fibre wire. Theres pretty much no good option except stuns which at that point why use a fibre wire. Cloaker uncloaks you as you attempt to get someone which to some degree makes it far more obvious that if you had just done it without a cloaker. 

Yeah Overall, Fibre wires crap and useless and has no real applicability, Even when I get it in a surplus I genuinely just get rid of it since I know that It will never help me kill anyone. surprised fat and sassy space-bee

Possible buffs, Make it so the person dies quicker, Reduce speed debuff, make it so it does more Brute damage and less O2 Damage(its literally slicing someone's neck) umm yeahhh and make it so it starts with the highest damage mode when you grab someone, why do I need to press a button to tighten my grip why would I ever want to start on the lesser damage dealing mode? it's okay, he'll be up again before you know it

Any other thoughts about why you think the FIbre wire sucks? umm any other possible changes to it could be posted below, ANd once again stuns arent a good combo with it. Why would I go 2 minutes killing someone if I have stuns in the first place. I would much rather use Bladed gloves or a signal jammer. 
a greater domestic space-bee that's gunna cause some trouble a greater domestic space-bee that's gunna cause some trouble a greater domestic space-bee that's gunna cause some trouble
Oof this is a word dump. ewww ill shove some emojis to spruce it up  fat and sassy space-bee
I do think the weird two grab-levels thing could go, it doesn't do much other than confuse people.
I'd like to see fiberwire let you move someone quickly while in an unupgraded grab, so you could have scenes where you quickly choke someone from behind and pull them into maintenence, it would make it a lot more interesting. Hell, I'd advocate for it giving the person a quick burst of speed when getting the wire on.
We've got all kinds of space age tech. Upgrade it from a wire to a 'monomoleculor edge' or such for higher damage. Keep applying the hold after death to decapitate; Alloying borg/head spike shenanigans.
Could we reduce it's TC cost to 2 dubious doubloons instead of 3 criminal credits
Personally, I love the idea of a fibre wire and generally items that require grabs, such as wires or even the cloth fabric. But I agree that in terms of viability, they rank in the bottom bin. As established, stunning someone and tossing them into space can quite literally be a faster and more effective method.

Quite simply, it either needs to kill faster, or it needs to be far more debilitating. After around 5-10 seconds, the person should be knocked out and not wake up again for a while, akin to when you fall asleep, perhaps this can be achieved by rapidly draining stamina. On top, if it dealt more oxygen damage alongside some brute damage, it would still not be as good as many other tools, but it could at least be usable in a fair few situations.

The weapon should heavily reward stealthy play, players that maintain privacy for about as long as any other "drain" kill should be able to do it easily, and at the same time, if caught, allow the victim easy recovery.
The problem is just that gasping and especially the deathgasp is just loud as fuck. You can very good get them silently into crit, but once in crit and they start moaning while dying any sikent killing you were doing just gets instantly blown.
(05-30-2023, 04:32 AM)Lord_earthfire Wrote: The problem is just that gasping and especially the deathgasp is just loud as fuck. You can very good get them silently into crit, but once in crit and they start moaning while dying any sikent killing you were doing just gets instantly blown.

Nothing that can't be fixed by simply adding a debuff while strangling that reduces the noise. Same debuff could then be used by any strangulation methods. Makes sense they'd be quietly dying if you are literally choking them to death.