Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Giving Ranchers more purpose
Hey! So, I've done a quick search and found a bunch of old threads about Rancher stuff, but there's also some newer ideas I wanted to introduce, so rather than necro them, I'm just going to make a new thread.

Currently, I think Ranchers offer a lot of cool gameplay, but very little crew interactivity. Yeah, sure, there's some chems you need for some chickens, but for the most part you remain cooped up (pun intended) in your ranch until the shift ends or you let loose your raptor horde.

This doesn't have to be that way!! There's other jobs that coop up a lot (genetics springs to mind) that still have a mechanic that lets them contribute to the round, namely the gene booth. Now, am I suggesting Rancher should be able to turn people into chickens? Yes. No, of course not, but here's what I am suggesting:

- Giving them some kind of vendor/supply request booth that they can use to sell chickens/eggs to the station and/or QM.
Having chickens be a QM feature akin to artlab could also be neat to have rounds where Ranchers are incentivized to make specific chickens for profits.

- Better carriages / luring would also help to transport chickens around, it's kind of cumbersome at the moment, and if you want to mass-produce chickens to sell them, maybe streamlining this could be an option. This would also go a long way to help herding chickens to safety for radiation.

- Fishing!! This has been mentioned in the past, but providing a fishing portal and rod on all maps would really help diversify some of the produce that ranchers could produce. Fishe!!

- Keeping with the theme, Dolly! Dolly's cute but has no practical use, but could totally have one! There's the obvious interaction with shearing, using scissors to produce wool (either new wool, or just use cotton), but sheep also have milk, and it could be a cool new way to get milk in the game.

Very willing to help implement some of these if the interest exists. Particularly fishing should be easy to add and standardize on maps.
fishing's wip at the moment, for all players to be able to do

dolly does have practical use. you literally can shear her and make wool to provide armor to your clothing, rancher starts with a shearing/knitting kit.
I already made suggestions like these before. And fishing is being worked on.
(05-23-2023, 06:33 AM)Cal Wrote: fishing's wip at the moment, for all players to be able to do

dolly does have practical use. you literally can shear her and make wool to provide armor to your clothing, rancher starts with a shearing/knitting kit.

Been a while since I played Rancher, and I never really see anyone interact with shearing, but that's awesome to know. Both the fishing aspect as well as the knitting. Looking forward to the changes.
Heh. Coop.
The Fishing WIP looks great!! annd while I think having Dolly be able to produce milk would be fine, but admittedly I don't think its super necessary since we can sheer her for wool that you can slap on gear and milk is pretty easy to get already.

I would however love if we could herd the chickens or more easily move them around. I remember losing so many of ones I spent forever working on to a rouge radstorm. And especially selling chickens in bulk, I know we can use a produce bag for it but... that requires a lot of pecking and such. A way to streamline it would be a dream.
Yeah, rancher needs more to do. Also I feel like rancher should be able to raise other creatures besides chickens.