Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Sterile Masks should block miasma.
Sterile Masks should block miasma.

That's about it. As they are now their only real function is style. By giving them the tool of blocking miasma, it would allow for an easier time dealing with corpses. This is especially useful for Robotics and the Chaplain, both of which are often around rotting corpses.
https://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=20483

we went over this one already, im so so on the idea due to it allowing people to ignore corpses instead of being forced to deal with em
(05-18-2023, 11:38 AM)Cal Wrote: https://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid=20483

we went over this one already, im so so on the idea due to it allowing people to ignore corpses instead of being forced to deal with em

Ah, sorry I hadn't seen that.

Maybe if we were to make it so that they blocked a portion of the Miasma? As to not make it so that corpses are ignorable but are easier to be around if you're dealing with them?

I don't know, I'm not a game designer.

But dont we literally have gas masks that do this already? they arent even hard to get so its not even like sterile masks are easier to get then gas masks. It seems odd to have this function compressed into the other functionality of the gas mask compared to the uni functionality that the sterile mask would have.

yeah overall I dont really see why we cant give sterile mask this functionality. maybe I would get it more if there was no item with this function but considering internals do this anyway and gas masks do it without even needing internals on, yeah idk.
I mean, you can block miasma with a gas mask and those are arguably easier to get.
I’ve said this before on the other thread but I don’t think that doctors need miasma protection. They just need better access to embalming fluid.

It would be nice if roboticists had some form of miasma protection tho, since they often need to carry and cut apart miasma-spewing corpses.
(05-18-2023, 12:24 PM)Ikea Wrote: I mean, you can block miasma with a gas mask and those are arguably easier to get.

You're right, we should make those harder to get

Joking aside, a sterile mask shouldn't be as good as a gas mask. My personal opinion is I think sterile masks acting as crappier gas mask, one that doesn't block nearly as many contaminants and offers no eye protection, would be fine. Offer just enough protection to have safe shorter term exposure, so you can move a body someplace else. Breathing in other gases, marginal advantage over someone not wearing a mask, would do nothing for you with mucus membrane irritants like tear gas 

people already ignore them though, no matter how many spite mechanics are tacked onto it i think it will continue to be this way
True, we need more punishing mechanics added on to the..

Maybe buff miasma to a disease chem on high overdose?
(05-18-2023, 11:57 PM)Lord_earthfire Wrote: True, we need more punishing mechanics added on to the..

Maybe buff miasma to a disease chem on high overdose?

I have no problem with that.
People already ignore washing themselves and in the old days this may get you a disease, but now that's gone.

Miasma is only bad in high doses anyway. Most people will just brave the single stack of toxin damage and take a single vormit.

By making it a disease that can be easily avoided by: "REMOVING THE CORPSE" It will make janitors and such do their job more.
At the same time... this will give antags a reason to put rotting corpses in lockers to cause dismay.
I swear that antags are 10 times more tidy then crewmen.
Now that I’m thinking about it, miasma kinda discourages people from doing something with corpses rather than the opposite, at least once they start decaying.

Whenever someone picks up a rotting corpse and bring it to medbay or the nearest disposal chute, they have to deal with miasma for a somewhat long period of time. It’s not that much miasma entering you, but it is enough to make dealing with corpses a less enjoyable task.

If miasma is gonna get buffed, then maybe make it so that it won’t spawn near the corpse?
We want to buff and change how miasma works.
The problem right now is.. it's annoying and if you are the one to clean it or want to clean it you are punished for it.. Not the people who ignore it.

By making it a disease spread it means going through the cloud won't punish you right away, but staying in it and letting it spread does.