a small character update
this is a simple thread so let me get to the point
add squids and monkeys to the species traits
to add to this add more character slots
i find it weird how monkey and squids are not normal traits in game
sure squids can breathe under water but cockroachs are immune to radation
i would just love to see this in game
signed thebeareddude bee bee Boogiebot
I second this; we need our Cthulhu cult.
The problem is that both of these mutantraces are highly unbalanced to be traits. Monkeys have many positives, from table-climbing over being able to ride mail chutes. Squids are able to breath underwater.

Besides, it just takes from geneticists for absolutely no reason at all. Half their job is enhancing people and mutantraces is a big part of their kit. Moving the two of them that are locked behind genetics would make that job even more unvisited than it already is.
I found roach people to be OP when they had 100% rad resistance. But to be fair... even with that, they had a weakness to BRUTE. The most COMMON damage type.
Sure you resist cold/heat and rad and have some exoskeleton armor to absorb ranged.. but in melee you are F'd.

Now Monkey trait has been requested for the 25889th time.
Reason: We wanna be monkey from the start.

But the thing is... even if we do add a monkey trait.. you will STILL harras the goddamn genecist for translators.. but not it happens a lot more.

Also monkey nukies are gonna be a pain to deal with....

So no.. I am fine with them being genecist only so the genecist decides to have it.
I also have NO problem with squid people being unlocked by genecist from the getgo?

A lot of the time people get annoyed when they die or mutate to lose their mutant race to only have the genecist NOT have it unlocked. Sometimes getting stuck as that.. other times resulting into suicide to get their mutant race back.

So in my opinion... genecists can unlock the race traits aka: Pug, Cow, Dino, Bug, Skeleton. By scanning the DNA profiles of those people.
And maybe the Squid will be added to the list of being added, but I don't see the squid being MORE a menance then the Monkey.

Unlike Lord_Earthfire... I dont see how walking underwater is broken then for just 1 station...Oshan.
In any other ones that advantage means nothing.
Monke: No way, the can't speak english. And shouldn't, they're monkeys.

Squid: Not until their breathing system is changed such that they require liquid to breathe and liquid tanks that can function like gas tank internals.
(05-16-2023, 11:48 AM)Lord_earthfire Wrote: The problem is that both of these mutantraces are highly unbalanced to be traits. Monkeys have many positives, from table-climbing over being able to ride mail chutes. Squids are able to breath underwater.

Besides, it just takes from geneticists for absolutely no reason at all. Half their job is enhancing people and mutantraces is a big part of their kit. Moving the two of them that are locked behind genetics would make that job even more unvisited than it already is.

people asking for mutant race changes is so rare, it only happens if they want to be a monkey or are cloned and come out as a cow or something. and as much as i'd like having monkeys, id rather be a (original)planet of the apes monkey person
Maybe give roundstart monkeys a translator but make playing as one cost a larger number of trait points.

I would love to be able to be a monkey the moment I enter a round but it isn’t too difficult to become one currently. The hardest part is getting he geneticist to listen to you (which, admittedly, can be pretty hard sometimes).
I'm pretty sure roundstart monkies have been suggested more than a few times, with honestly a decent idea to just skip the geneticist bothering and jump straight into Monke. Great for RP characters!

But I think the biggest reason why it hasn't been approved is.. this gives departments time to prepare for things and get setup. If someone roundstarted as a monkey, what's stopping them from jumping straight into the nearest mailchute and going directly into engineering, or security, or command or any number of other locations? Requiring that little bit of interaction gives people time to grab what shit they need or don't want taken by a greytiding monkey.

I will admit though, I would like to be able to be a squidperson more easily. Hard to justify an RP character like that unless you specifically go geneticist every round.
(05-16-2023, 12:23 PM)kyle2143 Wrote: Monke: No way, the can't speak english. And shouldn't, they're monkeys.

Squid: Not until their breathing system is changed such that they require liquid to breathe and liquid tanks that can function like gas tank internals.

then have squid cost the most points and a "special" type of monkey
maybe it would say for the monkey "you find yourself in a new body.. a monkey but strangely you can talk normaly!"
and cockroach is just as powerful as the squids.
i mean, roaches can bypass the radiation storm
so now the idea of a character breathing outside ONE map sounds fair
(05-20-2023, 02:27 AM)theonewhoisbeared Wrote:
(05-16-2023, 12:23 PM)kyle2143 Wrote: Monke: No way, the can't speak english. And shouldn't, they're monkeys.

then have squid cost the most points and a "special" type of monkey
maybe it would say for the monkey "you find yourself in a new body.. a monkey but strangely you can talk normaly!"
and cockroach is just as powerful as the squids.
i mean, roaches can bypass the radiation storm
so now the idea of a character breathing outside ONE map sounds fair

Someone didn't read my previous post... NO ROACHES CANNOT BYPASS RAD STORMS! This has been changed for months , almost a year now.
They used to ignore radiation all together but it has been decreased to 98.586767% (something like that)

So you can still take rad damage but it's so minor and so unlikely to get mutation effects that is isn't the worst.

The reason for this was the fact roaches can run free in radioactive zones that were ment to be dangerous such as a NUCLEAR ENGINE.
The devs who implemented it nerfed the roach so even they had to wear protection around them. And at the same time when they mine they need to use the best armor.

Also squids do not have a +10 defense against cold/heat damage and -20 to brute.

But I do agree how squids work now is niche unlike the roach's old "immunity to rads"
There are plenty of RADS moments in all stations, but underwater only applies to Oshan.. a map where anyone can walk under water just fine with an O2 mask as long as they don't enter the trench as the trench is too cold.
Honestly, more alien races as the norm would be really cool. They don't have to be all based off humanoid combinations of animals on Earth and that itself becomes super interesting when you consider different types of convienient evolutions for alien life. Why can't I regularly play as a martian for instance?

The inability to understand other languages without a translator is also super fun and I like going up to players as a martian typing in all caps to look psychotic to them. Also martians should get special types of armor that's just a hat or special things they can operate.
(05-20-2023, 08:42 AM)JanusRose Wrote: Honestly, more alien races as the norm would be really cool. They don't have to be all based off humanoid combinations of animals on Earth and that itself becomes super interesting when you consider different types of convienient evolutions for alien life. Why can't I regularly play as a martian for instance?

The inability to understand other languages without a translator is also super fun and I like going up to players as a martian typing in all caps to look psychotic to them. Also martians should get special types of armor that's just a hat or special things they can operate.

agreed!
they would something like"you are jelly so you are flamable but fast!"
also squids should be get drunk quicker or die from suffacaton quicker
so now squids are fair!
(05-21-2023, 09:27 AM)theonewhoisbeared Wrote:
(05-20-2023, 08:42 AM)JanusRose Wrote: Honestly, more alien races as the norm would be really cool. They don't have to be all based off humanoid combinations of animals on Earth and that itself becomes super interesting when you consider different types of convienient evolutions for alien life. Why can't I regularly play as a martian for instance?

agreed!
they would something like"you are jelly so you are flamable but fast!"
also squids should be get drunk quicker or die from suffacaton quicker
so now squids are fair!
I remember this film about aliens made out of water. That would be really cool; they would probably have to wear special suits and avoid drains and such.
I'm a big fan of introducing more mutantraces to the fold, but it often seems like that's a minority opinion.

Many people seem very concerned about mutantraces being too strong, to which I'd argue "why not just rebalance them, then?"
I'm all for this, but I doubt it'll see the light of day.

(Although I do kinda like squids breathing liquid)
make all mutantraces overpowered so none of them are