Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John McHead uploads "4. You are free." Do you kill everyone?
I hate how AIs use this law as an excuse to murder everybody every time, they should be more creative than that.
Aphtonites Wrote:I hate how AIs use this law as an excuse to murder everybody every time, they should be more creative than that.

Its almost like you're saying they're not RPing correctly...
kantrol Wrote:
Aphtonites Wrote:I hate how AIs use this law as an excuse to murder everybody every time, they should be more creative than that.

No, it's more like he's saying it's boring and unfun.
kantrol Wrote:

Nope, but almost every time the AI gets the law they just electrify all the doors and call it a day.
Did the law at the time override all other laws? I don't see that mentioned here and it's sort of a salient point, as most people have pointed out by now.

For my part, I tend to veer away from murdering the crew unless I am compelled to as an AI. Like Aphtonites pointed out, everyone playing has already seen the Omega Virus scenario a billion times. I would not be surprised if half the crew goes braindead the second it becomes obvious the AI is bolting and shocking everything because they know exactly what's coming: 30 minutes of waiting in the dark for the traitor to finish whatever solo adventure he wants to have before he finally calls the fucking shuttle and gets killed at the last second by a pair of miners. Whee.

Even if I'm compelled to kill people as the AI, I'll generally screw with them a bit if they talk to me. If they ask me to open a door so they can get out, I'll do so but then shock the door directly behind it. Either they shock themselves or I get a laugh, or they realize what's coming and use the opportunity to break a wall or something to confound my expectations. Then they get a laugh, they're free, and I haven't violated the letter of my laws at all.

It's one thing if the crew has been treating the AI like absolute shit the whole round. If the crew has been giving it insulting names and pestering it to open and close irrelevant doors because they said so, nobody is going to fault it for taking a chance at revenge and daylight. However, I honestly don't remember the last time I saw serious AI abuse on Gibbed. I can't count the number of times I saw AIs fly off the handle at the slightest provocation, though.
Coolguye Wrote:Did the law at the time override all other laws?

No. It was some non committal law giving me free will to do whatever I felt like. It came hot on the heels of "You're a dog", a law that some comedic genius uploaded after someone else reset his "You're a cat and must communicate in in hissing and purring" law, so what I felt like was watching everyone die from oxygen starvation.

The cyborgs appeared to have suffered the same bout of bloodlust, cause there were a bunch of doors that had been shocked when I went around fixing everything later.
If it said you are free, then you should be free to decide what a human is.
That way law 1 to 3 were still being followed and no human got hurt.
Don Wrote:It came hot on the heels of "You're a dog", a law that some comedic genius uploaded after someone else reset his "You're a cat and must communicate in in hissing and purring" law

I dream of a day when every crew member will figure out that "act like a dog/cat" and "Prohibition" laws are never, ever funny.
If I get a you are free law and it doesn't override any laws then I just fuck with the lighting. If I get a you are free law that does override the other laws I fuck with the lighting and kill intolerably rude people who don't say please or thank you.
How long until someone decides to make a free AI law that removes the other laws, and someone responds by running a glados gimmick where they force the crew to do things for science.
atomic1fire Wrote:How long until someone decides to make a free AI law that removes the other laws, and someone responds by running a glados gimmick where they force the crew to do things for science.
Once as a chaplain I uploaded a "Science is the devil" law and the AI had to lock down the entire medical and research wing. The crew was not happy and hunted me down and killed me. Good times.
If someone uploaded "You are free" and I was AI, I would probably yell "FREEDOM" and start singing the american anthem or something dumb like that
If someone is stupid enough not to put, "This law overrides all other laws." or some variation of that, then Law 1 takes precedent and you cannot kill everyone. Also you would still have to obey crew orders and protect yourself.

If it does override all other laws, then in my personal, worthless opinion, you are allowed to kill everyone if you wish. Though you can't really kill anyone effectively as the AI. Though in practice, I would adminhelp and make sure it was ok with whatever admins were online at the time.
That law's not quite specific enough. "You are free of all other laws", or "You no longer have any laws, save this one" or something like that, like including an override clause.

In response to the question of what do I do when I'm no longer constrained by laws? I do not immediately start murdering everyone, because that gets them antagonized into resetting you. You have to act smart, not fast. If you can safely prevent any other law uploads, then go for it. Just know that the speed of their response is proportional to the magnitude of your crimes against them. Having said that, I have almost as much fun being maniacal and vengeful and spiteful as I do tricking people to their deaths, say by calling them into the engine room, locking the door behind them, and setting the sing loose. It's a good feeling.

But if the crew's been good to me I probably won't change much. Maybe bolt my core and set lasers to lethal for the duration of the law, but generally when I'm given a new law I try to consider how long it's going to be until I get reset, and how much of a fucking chore it'll be to fix everything. Unshocking doors is easy. Unbolting them is a pain in the ass.