Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Adding amputated leg items
Hey, so, I found out to my surprise that you currently cannot replace legs with anything other than legs, unlike arms, where you can replace them with most items and they work as said item. Now, I'd like to stress that I don't want to have people be able to use items on their legs in a usual manner, aka the equivalent of having 4 arms, that leads to meta-gaming and balance issues.

Instead, I'm proposing it as a general thing to just be doable in the game for the hell of it, especially with the caveat that most non-leg items are just worse than regular legs. That way it'd be a silly goofy thing to do, and also just allow more crazy customization.

The idea originally spawned from me wanting to replace my Janitor's legs for mops, pretending I can clean floors by walking over them slowly, and realizing the doc could not even slap them on, figured that's a neat feature to suggest.

Again, just to stress it, I don't mean for this to mean that clowns get to attach chainsaws to their legs to basically have two chainsaws AND two free hands. Rather, something like chainsaws could work similar to treads, just for the hell of it. Or it could just mean they have two chainsaws, but have to crawl around anyway.

Either way, food for thought.
yeah i wanted to hack my leg off once and replace it with a crowbar like eli vance but i was only met with Benjamin Sisko hits Benjamin Sisko in the left leg with the Benjamin Sisko's left leg!
Time to put a chainsaw on my leg and slide around the station
Having arms as legs should act as not having legs at all, except that you can move at walking speed when crawling. In other words, you’re forced to walk on all fours.

Also, I think I was one of the doctors that tried to do the mop leg thing. I was pretty disappointed when I realized that it wouldn’t work.
I'd be down for item legs, with whether or not you can walk normally with them being if you
1. have a normal/cyber/synth leg
2. the item is at least medium sized (like mops and crowbars)

Sort of like a peg leg! We'd also be able to see a clown with bike horns instead of limbs, and one in their chest. A horrid cacophony of honking as they're wheeled around in a wheelchair by a mime friend.

As for whether a mop leg would be able to clean wherever it went, I feel like it should only be able to suck up liquids rather than outright clean stains. Let the janitor with a mop-leg destroy the entire oshan flood instead of spreading water wherever they go
how about this: you are walking on your item, so you cannot really use it. Instead, you use it every step you make on a cooldown.

Let's see how long you can walk with a russian revolver on your leg.
Catagorized items. Since I believe some want peglegs and such to be "PIRATES ARRR"

I recommend Four Item Types for this.

1: Works perfectly. Replaces a leg just fine.

2: It works, but.... It slows down your walking due to instabilities and having to adjust your balance.

3: You stoopid. You will not walk straight, you will trip a lot and you are slow. WHY WOULD YOU TAPE A CHAINSAW FOR A LEG?!

4: INCOMPITABLE. Let's be real... some items you hold is just not possible.
(05-07-2023, 12:32 PM)Kotlol Wrote: Catagorized items. Since I believe some want peglegs and such to be "PIRATES ARRR"

I recommend Four Item Types for this.

1: Works perfectly. Replaces a leg just fine.

2: It works, but.... It slows down your walking due to instabilities and having to adjust your balance.

3: You stoopid. You will not walk straight, you will trip a lot and you are slow. WHY WOULD YOU TAPE A CHAINSAW FOR A LEG?!

4: INCOMPITABLE. Let's be real... some items you hold is just not possible.
I kind of enjoy the idea of chainsaw legs just zooming you forward and crashing you into a wall with no way of stopping, like an unreliable, worse version of treads.

This seems like a solid categorization, I'd honestly just merge 3 and 4, because technically *anything* can be taped to a leg, but that just means it's essentially like not having a leg, such as smaller objects.

Addendum: Shoes. People should be able to replace their legs with shoes, and be of equivalent height as if having the dwarf mutation. But the shoes should probably lose their functionality unless we also remove the equipment slot, lest people wear double-shoes.
(05-07-2023, 12:41 PM)Glamurio Wrote: This seems like a solid categorization, I'd honestly just merge 3 and 4, because technically *anything* can be taped to a leg, but that just means it's essentially like not having a leg, such as smaller objects.

No 4 is litterly items that don't work. Similiarly you cannot put certain items on arms either.
Mostly stackable items like paper.
Toggle waddle walk
(05-08-2023, 02:19 AM)Kotlol Wrote:
(05-07-2023, 12:41 PM)Glamurio Wrote: This seems like a solid categorization, I'd honestly just merge 3 and 4, because technically *anything* can be taped to a leg, but that just means it's essentially like not having a leg, such as smaller objects.

No 4 is litterly items that don't work. Similiarly you cannot put certain items on arms either.

Right, I get it. Like a blacklist of stuff you cannot put on legs, particularly for technical reasons. That makes sense.
yarr
(05-08-2023, 02:19 AM)Kotlol Wrote:

why not make a paper mache leg?
(05-10-2023, 07:39 AM)Goat_Real Wrote: why not make a paper mache leg?

Then we need a paper mache item making. And it would fall under 2
can i have a machine gun leg

and a scottish accent
Went ahead and made a PR about this, feel free to leave feedback there as well.
https://github.com/goonstation/goonstation/pull/14179