Poll: Get rid of the old mechanics stuff?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
60.71%
17 60.71%
No
39.29%
11 39.29%
Total 28 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Switch mechanics entirely over to manufacturers?
So, the new manufacturer-based system in the Mechanic's Workshop seems to be working out pretty well. I was outright intending to replace the old fiddly system (batteries, boards, screens, buzzers, etc) with it - so i'm wondering if now is the time to do away with the old stuff. y/n
I say we should not completely do away with the old system. Maybe have parts for part despensers around the station for getto mechanics?
as far as i know the old stuff is useless to anyone who doesn't have access to a ruckingeur and the scanner (so everyone but the mechanics/CE) and none of them do anything besides make you count them out

i might be wrong since i dunno if the parts do stuff outside of building frames so if they do then ???
you can sell them I think
that's pretty much it though
I'm not keen on Mechanics getting entirely tied to the materials system like everything else.
Dabir Wrote:I'm not keen on Mechanics getting entirely tied to the materials system like everything else.

I love the idea of mechanics getting entirely tied to a common materials system. Now if only the ruck kits were tied to the mainframe...
If telesci has to be tethered to the mainframe for completely unknowable reasons, so should the mechanics. Maybe then they'll give a damn when the computer core loses power. crossarms

As it is, all mechanics really have to do is mug the captain for his egun so you can make twenty copies, go make graviton shard cannons, and just generally be better equipped staff assistants with worse attitudes. Giving them something else to do that is reasonably complicated(and maybe something extra complicated. Because the people who play mechanics are generally the more experienced and terrible players) to do would go some way to help alleviate that problem.
Yes please, the old system is shit. While with some work it could be made better, idk fuck it.
welp this is 60% in favor so i'm going to convert it over entirely!
If anything, the old ElecTek Vendomats should be kept around for that repair and upgrade system that cogwerks was talking about some time ago.

Keeping the mechanics on the materials grid is a great idea and that should stay that way.
APARTHEID Wrote:If anything, the old ElecTek Vendomats should be kept around for that repair and upgrade system that cogwerks was talking about some time ago.

Keeping the mechanics on the materials grid is a great idea and that should stay that way.
Hell, have the old parts kept in for some kind of research/tech tree for mechanics so they can build some cloner upgrades, etc.
Alternatively, just move the ElecTek vendomats into tech storage should the repair/upgrade system get integrated as per Apartheid's post.