Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[MERGED PR] Swaps Out Capsaicin Grenades In the Sec Vendor For Flashbangs
Thumbs Up 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

[BALANCE] [INPUT WANTED] [GAME OBJECTS]

About the PR
This pr swaps out the capsaicin grenades in the sec weapons vendor for flashbangs.

Why's this needed?
Since I reworked the protection for capsaicin, capsaicin grenades have become incredibly strong for how abundant they can be. This keeps the strength of the grenades, but limits them to the armory to keep them from being so abundant. I replaced them with flashbangs due to them not being nearly as strong, but still having some utility.

Changelog

Code:
changelog
(u)Wisemonster
(*)Replaced the capsaicin grenades in the security weapon vendor with flashbangs.

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
I think a better solution is just making capsaicin less horrible. Slowdowns instead of hard stuns? Less stuns when not directly exposed? Progressive blindness instead of instant? Depleted with water not just milk? (with less depletion)
I think that flashbangs are a good idea over CC grandees since CC's are so debilitating and often involve a lot of friendly fire against other sec peeps. Grenades that have that sorta effect should probably be the harder version to get since currently the only way to get flashbangs are either in the armory and the one-two that spawn outside on the tables.

They always seemed like less force to me, odd that they've currently the one that takes more steps to get to. My view is mostly from RP so I dunno what this does to the sec balance of classic.
Ive personally allways wanted to use flashbangs more, and the CC's personally feel more at home in the armory, since its quite debilitating. Feels more "emergency arms" than the more humble flashbang. Plus at RP the CC is rarely even used outside centcom shenanigans as far ive seen.

Sadly the flashbang can be quite... not great. I can imagine however it could be quite decent with a riot launcher. But the question there is the lack of the flashbangs available.

(horrible idea time)
A possible gimmic/loadout that would be fun could be a grenadier security officer. They got no taser but a few nades and their own launcher. All of it nonlethal.

All in all, i say yes to flashbangs. At least on RP.
I hate capascin grenades as both security and antag.
If you use it wrong as security.. it's a bad time for everyone.
If you use it right... the antag isn't having fun for a while.
If you use it right but the antagonist is protected against it...It just locks off other players.

It's just SUPER ANNOYING and not used for that reason as it does more UNFUN and BAD then good.

Flashbangs more instant, less counterable but still able to delt with... and if it hits the wrong target.. they are just down/deafened for a few seconds insted of constantly dropping items, seeing bad and more.

APPROVED! And yes... I love the riot launcher flashbang combo!
Cap nades have their uses, whether it be revs, gangs, or an antag teamup. I think nerfing them in some way would be better, flashbangs are nice but unless used in a launcher they seem pretty weak.

One change that might be nice is having cap stuns proc as an overdose effect, so if someone accidentally runs into the cloud for a second they wont get stunned inside of it. Also make cap deplete faster when not in the smoke
Capsaicin stun as overdose doesn't make aense. They should be debilitsting.

I think cc grenades reign in the same area in dangerousness as frag grenades, which is a good place, if they are in the armory. Wouldn't mind a small cooldown on their stun effect, but that is secondary.
Flashbangs are too weak to be a replacement for cc nades unless you get like 10
(04-27-2023, 08:14 AM)Lord_earthfire Wrote: Capsaicin stun as overdose doesn't make aense. They should be debilitsting.

I think cc grenades reign in the same area in dangerousness as frag grenades, which is a good place, if they are in the armory. Wouldn't mind a small cooldown on their stun effect, but that is secondary.
Im saying having the stuns be an overdose effect with a low threshold would give crewmates that accidentally walk into it a chance to get out without being stunned and trapped inside, but also be super debilitating for anyone that gets caught in the middle when they have one thrown at them.
(04-27-2023, 11:04 PM)NanoDano Wrote: Im saying having the stuns be an overdose effect with a low threshold would give crewmates that accidentally walk into it a chance to get out without being stunned and trapped inside, but also be super debilitating for anyone that gets caught in the middle when they have one thrown at them.

Ah ok, i see what you mean. I thought of an overdose of 20, not like 8, which would be more on what you are suggesting.

I would rather prefer a cooldown between stuns instead of an overdose, since an OD would prevent other interesting uses for capsaicin (towel-grabs or spray-bottle). But i could see that working to make cc grenades sonewhat more tame.
The issue with moving it to overdose is that any kind of protection that prevents inhaling chems would prevent capsaicin from doing anything, including gas masks, any internals, the oxy gene, and being a changeling.
I would much prefer this, personally, the gas thing is far more directly powerful and feels like it should be a limited thing.
Crowd control nades are a rampager's best friend and inexperienced secoffs love to spam them.
I still think people need to consider the fact the Capsu grenade litterly controls a whole area for a while for those who do not have protection.
This means antags who avoid the Capsu.. cannot go thorugh it again or else they start getting stunned, walking funny and more.

It is essentially a more annoying beaker bomb for sec to use and it can easily backfire if they don't bring gas masks wich is in science OR in armory.

So I will still say.. go with flash bangs. Security is pre-set on being mostly immune to flashbangs due to their sec-huds, but the bang will still effect them if they get to close.
Once the flash bang is deployed.. it doesnt leave an air of annoyance for anyone who doesnt bring gas masks...

It is just better gameplay wise as it doesn't cause "Dead air" for innoncent players who get caught in the nades path. A flash bang does as well, but it lasts shorter when it effects you too.
yeah flashbangs are kinda sucky now so they'd probably make more sense - but i also think capsaicin needs a look at, it's still really insane how long it lasts / how much it disrupts you / how much it stuns you