Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Allow Ghostdrones to use Pipe Dispensers
Based on the following bug report on Github: https://github.com/goonstation/goonstation/issues/13792 ; It's not clear to me if ghostdrones had access to pipe dispensers prior to their switch to a TGUI interface, but I can confirm that they do not presently have access.

In short, allow for ghostdrones to use the station's pipe dispensers so that they can repair broken disposal systems. This fits in alongside the ghostdrone's guiding principle of repairing and improving the station without making them too powerful; generally, ghostdrones will make much more of an impact on the round (and player freedom, in terms of antagonists destroying things) by fixing holes in the station, repairing APC's, or making copies of valuable pieces of equipment than they will by fixing disposal pipes. 

Bored ghostdrones would also be able to amuse themselves by making elaborate yet functional disposal loops out in space that the crew will never use, let alone fully understand. Ghostdrones are, regrettably, unable to use most flushing systems, so their ability to use these themselves would be limited.
Ghost drones used to be able to do amazing things cause they had RCD, but it got removed since grievers found out and well... you know how fast a RCD can cause issues.

I see no problem with them making pipe stuff "AS LONG AS" they cannot make em work functional. We don't need disposal pipes flinging people into space.
ghost drones already cause enough of a headache, we don't need them making 'elaborate disposal loops' (redirecting the pipes to the singularity)
Humans already cause enough headaches, lets remove their ability to do anything (they might use it to grief even tho they arent a antagonist)
(04-23-2023, 10:15 AM)Cal Wrote: ghost drones already cause enough of a headache, we don't need them making 'elaborate disposal loops' (redirecting the pipes to the singularity)

This is why I recommend the compremise of "don't let them make the pipes active"
Nor can they reroute current pipes unless they are broken.

Then again I am still on a rather "NOT"

Also Cal raises a good point on this stuff. UNLIKE A GRIEVING HUMAN, ghostdrones are "essentially" infinite.
Wich is why if a human grieves? An admin kills em , sometimes bans em, sometimes they get executed. "delt with"
But a ghost drone can always be a new acount, jumping in , going into observer then ghost drone cue and there it is.. another griever drone with tools to make everyone's life miserable.

There is a reason their construction kit is just "CARDBOARD" so you can break it down easily.

So for @Flufficorn.
Humans have to gather tools, gather items, and do the thing and even get access to the right areas. It takes a lot of steps.
A ghostdrone can go through any door and use their tools mostly freely.
A rogue ghostdrone cannot be bolted in either since they pass through doors so not even AI's can stop em or a security officer hunting it down.
And if you take it down.. it will be back within a minute, resuming it's problems.

This is the reason they got nerfed, this is the reason why cal is worried about the pipes.
As cal said in the AA thread you can just ahelp ghostdrones that are abusing their power plus they die in like 2 hits if they are really being a problem
@kotlo so pretty much, The solution is to not implement something because it has the potential to grief? My point was that cals solution to the issue was to not have it yet in the past preaching about how "if something becomes a issue just Ahelp it". Its not even like them having pipe access is unreasonable, the whole job of a ghost drone is the fix the station. So why limit them to not being able to pipes? it doesnt make sense using previous logic for us to stop them having this ability just because of its potential to be grief rather than its far more likely use of being used to fix broken pipes etc.
(04-23-2023, 11:16 AM)Frolicsome Flufficorn Wrote: @kotlo so pretty much, The solution is to not implement something because it has the potential to grief? My point was that cals solution to the issue was to not have it yet in the past preaching about how "if something becomes a issue just Ahelp it". Its not even like them having pipe access is unreasonable, the whole job of a ghost drone is the fix the station. So why limit them to not being able to pipes? it doesnt make sense using previous logic for us to stop them having this ability just because of its potential to be grief rather than its far more likely use of being used to fix broken pipes etc.

Ghostdrones ORIGINALLY had a full on RCD not their cardboard version. Then classic grievers came and well despite admins being Ahelp called a lot.
It became so WIDE SPREAD of a problem that admins had to be on 24/7 to log in and bop one cause grievers gotta grief.

Ahelping doesn't remove the ROOT CAUSE of the problem, it's just a way of dealing with it and if no admin is on... gets to ruin as much rounds as they like till an admin bops em.

This is why the ghostdrone was nerfed, cause admins are volunteers who are trusted to bop bad people, but in the end... they have lives too.
Rather then having more admins to keep the ghostdrones the same.. the staff decided to nerf and change the tool so ghostdrone grieving would be at best "Annoying" yet still useful enough to help players.

There have been much changes in the years of functionality and tools wich made the game slightly less "fun" for certain jobs/people but some were made cause every round devolved into: "This guy is causing a muck with "Well known tool" again..."

Most well known cases:
- RP Shuttles cannot be hotboxed/gas/flooded/etc.
- Ghostdrone RCD changed to cardboard builder.
- Pathology removed.
- Portasci remote program unable to be shared.

And thats that.
(04-23-2023, 12:00 PM)Kotlol Wrote:
(04-23-2023, 11:16 AM)Frolicsome Flufficorn Wrote: @kotlo so pretty much, The solution is to not implement something because it has the potential to grief? My point was that cals solution to the issue was to not have it yet in the past preaching about how "if something becomes a issue just Ahelp it". Its not even like them having pipe access is unreasonable, the whole job of a ghost drone is the fix the station. So why limit them to not being able to pipes? it doesnt make sense using previous logic for us to stop them having this ability just because of its potential to be grief rather than its far more likely use of being used to fix broken pipes etc.

There have been much changes in the years of functionality and tools which made the game slightly less "fun" for certain jobs/people but some were made cause every round devolved into: "This guy is causing a muck with "Well known tool" again..."

Most well known cases:
- RP Shuttles cannot be hotboxed/gas/flooded/etc.
- Ghostdrone RCD changed to cardboard builder.
- Pathology removed.
- Portasci remote program unable to be shared.

It takes a long time to change and mess with pipelines, so if you did see a ghostdrone redirecting things into the singulo/crusher etc you would have more than enough time to hit it twice and kill it.
The only way I see ghostdrones causing issues with this system is if they deliberately sabotage the existing disposals system (say, morgue chute or mail chute) and have it do something it's not supposed to. This is directly in conflict with their laws, and would have to be dealt with via ahelp. Similarly, ghostdrones can sabotage electrical systems right now, having access to nigh-unlimited wire, wirecutters, and a multitool; they could conceivably hotwire the engine or cut power to a department if they were feeling spiteful. Again, these actions are directly in conflict with their laws, and despite ghostdrones having all the tools they need to do it, I have yet to see electrical sabotage like this happen.

I understand the concern for grief, but I seriously think it's a non-issue in this case. The inability for ghostdrones to activate flusher systems means that it'd be hard to make a "trap" for other players that's entirely custom-built, and any fatalities from sabotaged flushing systems would come from a player decision to use a flusher. If it does become a problem, then we can revoke pipe dispenser access for ghostdrones.

Also, ghostdrones can be killswitched like any other silicon construct, and ghostdrone bans exist for troublemakers. A "rogue ghostdrone" can be snapped out of existence by the crew and prevented from ever returning from the role.
(04-23-2023, 10:45 AM)Frolicsome Flufficorn Wrote: Humans already cause enough headaches, lets remove their ability to do anything (they might use it to grief even tho they arent a antagonist)

what an odd response.
i think letting them dispense pipes but not use the auto-place/auto-remove functionality would be in good balance
It is extremely easy to accidentally mess up the pipes i am unsure its wise for them to have.them
I am also aware pipes can lag or glitch out. I forgot to add this... but that's probably a biger reason NOT TO DO THIS!
(04-24-2023, 12:54 PM)Kotlol Wrote: I am also aware pipes can lag or glitch out. I forgot to add this... but that's probably a bigger reason NOT TO DO THIS!

what type of glitches do you mean? I thought most of those got sorted out when they were last changed.