Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
[CLOSED PR] New Command Traitor Item: AI Proto-Teleman module
Thumbs Down 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

[GAME OBJECTS] [FEATURE] [INPUT WANTED]

About the PR
Adds a new item for traitorous captains and RDs, the prototype teleporter module. This module let's AIs send things to and from the science teleporter, with some restrictions on delivery locations.

Why's this needed?
See #10922

Changelog

Code:
changelog
(u)Wisemonster
(*)Adds a new command traitor item: A prototype teleporter module that costs 6 tc. Available for the captain and research director.

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
Hm. What are the restrictions, exactly?
Dislike giving this to captain, imo captain shouldnt have job gear unless it like really really fits them (and is ideally on the more memey side) as they have the advantage of being able to easily get every department shit. Personally in the long run I wouldnt be against giving this to base AI with some sort of tech tree system (its honestly not the strongest thing in the world), but for now this works
Omg, Thats actually scary that this got suggested. I was literally thinking yesterday about this being a thing. Sad it got closed so fast. My honest reaction when the idea only gets 5 hours of community observation before it gets shut down before anyone besides a select few get to see. Thats the way the cookie crumbles I guess. "isnt in our image of the games Future" I guess.
Kinda relieved it's closed.

The thing is, i love teleporter nerdery. But teleport usage can be extremly deadly and the only thing holding it's use back is all the setup needed to turn it into effective kill weaponry and the need to pinpoint coordinates on the fly. The skill ceiling is massive.

Now, this both removes the preparation time (because you can just slap it in the AI) and the skill involved in calculating coords on the fly (because it's a targeted ability). Now on top of it, it is essentially global range due to being an AI.

I think that would need to be moreheavily restricted to be not disastrously broken.
(04-19-2023, 10:23 PM)Lord_earthfire Wrote: Kinda relieved it's closed.

The thing is, i love teleporter nerdery. But teleport usage can be extremly deadly and the only thing holding it's use back is all the setup needed to turn it into effective kill weaponry and the need to pinpoint coordinates on the fly. The skill ceiling is massive.

Now, this both removes the preparation time (because you can just slap it in the AI) and the skill involved in calculating coords on the fly (because it's a targeted ability). Now on top of it, it is essentially global range due to being an AI.

I think that would need to be moreheavily restricted to be not disastrously broken.

The thing is. It sucks. The module sucks. because it requires you to practically stand still to work. Since it teleports you to the teleporter first to then be teleported to location you need to put them on. This will practically never happen as even if you manage to get them the chances you get to the area you need to put them before they walk off the teleport pad is insane. I used it once and It was hard enough to use it for good. let alone using it for bad. My main issue is just how little community involvement they take before they close something.
You just need a single teleport. Turning the teleport pad with a bit of mechcomp (or like, teleporting mobs in via invalid coords) into a deathtrap or buildin a new one in a killbox is laughable easy.

Have you ever see a telegun-rampage? Now imagine this with infinite range.
(04-19-2023, 10:44 PM)Lord_earthfire Wrote: You just need a single teleport. Turning the teleport pad with a bit of mechcomp (or like, teleporting mobs in via invalid coords) into a deathtrap or buildin a new one in a killbox is laughable easy.

Have you ever see a telegun-rampage? Now imagine this with infinite range.

Well, its not how it works. It doesnt use tracking beacons like a telegun. It uses pure Telescience. The AI with this module (assuming its the one thats already in the game) gets two Abilities with this Module. The ability to teleport someone to the telescience pad. and the ability if someone stands on the telescience pad to TP them anywhere. GIven the AI could just wall it off. But as most things It can be easily fixed. not to mention but There is talk of it having restricted areas which (Obviously I dont know of exactly) but are likely to be space and near crushers.

Therefore I would suggest this to be a incredibly weak weapon for the AI considering all the variables it needs to work. Unlike Telegun getting hold of hostile mobs as well would be horrible to pull off.
(04-19-2023, 11:19 PM)Frolicsome Flufficorn Wrote: Well, its not how it works. It doesnt use tracking beacons like a telegun. It uses pure Telescience. The AI with this module (assuming its the one thats already in the game) gets two Abilities with this Module. The ability to teleport someone to the telescience pad. and the ability if someone stands on the telescience pad to TP them anywhere. GIven the AI could just wall it off. But as most things It can be easily fixed. not to mention but There is talk of it having restricted areas which (Obviously I dont know of exactly) but are likely to be space and near crushers.

There is not that much more setup between setting up a new telescience pad and a commend teleporter with tracking beacon.

Nothing stopping you from turning a telescience pad into a deathtrap. It's actually easier once you set it up due to on-demand critters. That's what i am saying.

You just need the first ability to send someone on the pad. After the first teleport they are very unlikely to survive.

Question would be if the PR accounts for different telepads. Athough with how easy borgs can fortify spaces, you could just turn the teleport room in science to a deathtrap.