Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Railgun drones should drop a Laser Gun when destroyed
Exactly as the title suggests, although given how uncommon railgun drones are, I suppose an explanation is in order:

Railgun Drones are very rare enemies native to the debris field (and, presumably, to some adventure zones), occasionally being spawned on station through admin shenanigans. They are exceptionally tough enemies that attack slowly with a railgun bolt that penetrates walls and deals somewhere between 60-80 BURN damage. Fighting one either amounts to a DPS race that requires that your pod has enough health and armor to facetank the shots from the drone, or a series of hit-and-run attacks. Trying to fight one of these in a civilian pod will get you killed, and trying to fight one outside of your pod will get you killed even faster.

Most drones drop a selection of random junk, including cyborg limbs, electronic parts that are best ignored (you can potentially sell them to the Flock merchant, if you're really desperate for cash), and certain loot specific to each type of drone. For example, cutter drones drop circular saws, ballistic drones drop fake predator revolvers, and hunter-killer drones drop phaser guns. Currently, railgun drones drop a random amount of cryptocurrency, an item with a randomly generated name that is either totally worthless or tied to the in-game stock market in some way. Nobody I've ever asked has known what it's supposed to do, and given that the item's name in the code is "buttcoin," it's more or less a joke item.

Given how difficult these drones are to destroy, how rare they are (only 1 in the debris field, as far as I know), and the presence of useful drops from other more plentiful drone types, I'd propose that the cryptocurrency drop from the railgun drone be replaced by a laser gun. Laser guns can be obtained via much easier and safer methods in the debris field, so this would simply make the gun a nice bonus for killing the drone (or an alternative to getting a laser gun if the others have been looted already). In case cryptocurrency has a real use, anyone that wants it can make more by installing a fancy video card into the law rack - yes, I am being serious.

(Related: the ballistic drones should drop some form of ammunition instead of the fake predator revolver. Yes, it is very funny to get punked the first time you see a revolver get dropped by these drones before realizing that they're fakes, but that leaves no real incentive to fight them. They're reasonably rare and aren't exactly pushovers in combat either. Since the other type-specific rewards from drones are things that can be obtained on-station or in alternative ways, I'd propose having the drones drop 1 mag of .22 pistol ammo, which can be obtained from hacked general manufacturers.)
Before we continune on... Cryptocurrency changes value each random intervals.
One moment it's worth 0.5, another 1.2, another 23.1 and sometimes 50k

The trick of crypto is the fact you cash it into the ATM when it's at 50k+ to get a big boost. Despite being a JOKE ITEM, it can in the rare occassion and you know what you are doing make you a lot of money. But be too slow and it might just be 0.01 of a credit.

There is a reason 90% of my clown plays try to insert the video card into the AI slot to get 6 stacks of crypto since that can be a total of 15k to 500k if done right.
(Also don't stack it XD)

As for this change... I don't think we need more ways for pod fighters to get dangerous weapons. The point of the drones is that YOU DONT WANT TO FIGHT EM!
And if you do.. the rewards are crap!
Thank you for the explanation of the crypto mechanic, I'll have to keep it in mind. Not sure if I love it as a drone reward, though.
(04-22-2023, 05:00 AM)Kotlol Wrote: As for this change... I don't think we need more ways for pod fighters to get dangerous weapons. The point of the drones is that YOU DONT WANT TO FIGHT EM!
And if you do.. the rewards are crap!

Anyone who knows how to hack a safe can get 2 laser guns within 5 minutes by taking a quick trip to an easily-accessible part of the debris field, no drone combat necessary. Additionally, you can accumulate half a dozen phaser guns from the hunter-killer drones in the debris field if you're thorough, not to mention at least a dozen circular saws from the cutter drones. While most of the loot from drones is crap, the cyborg limbs are reasonably useful, and there can be reasons to seek out and destroy drones if you have adequate armor and a weapon.

Railgun drones are so prohibitively difficult to fight that I feel like there's no harm in having them drop a laser gun. It also makes marginally more sense than them dropping cryptocurrency.

Additionally, for RP, this is a moot point, as pods (and thereby the means to obtain this item) are access locked by default, thus limiting access to the Debris Field in general.