Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mining Pickaxe Rework
Design doc: https://hackmd.io/@ASO4nZ-8S9eoQdhojH1tYg/HJ1Hk2yz2

The entire idea can be boiled down to the Summary in the Design Doc. The new pickaxe will be mostly just a frame, where you can swap mining heads by just using 3 units of the materials themselves, the mining power would be calculated based on the hardness and density of the current material in the pickaxe head. Maybe make a new framework on pickaxe modifications, and maybe extend the rework to other tools.

In my idea, I just want to make the pickaxe head modification more obvious for new players, to incentivate them modifying their pickaxes to be better at hitting rocks, and make MatSci pickaxes more easy to craft for more experienced miners, and maybe scale the damage with the mining power of the pickaxe (because I've played too much DRG recently to not make miners more robust.)

If any experienced or newbie miner wants to give their opinions about this, it will be much appreciated. I'll code the idea up and make a few sprites if people think this would be a good addition.
The addition of a third way to get better tools is not what I'd call making it easier on new players, unless you plan on completely replacing the current MatSci mining tool building, in which case I'm listening.

Ignoring that, simply using material bars to swap out a head is definitely much easier, but if you end up extending it to hammers or drills it might be a little weird? Though personally I'd much prefer just slapping a drill with 5 bars to change the head versus anything related to the Nano-Fabricator.

The biggest issue with incentivizing players to upgrade their tool is that most people just stop at Bohrum and there's essentially very little reason to do anything else. (If they decide to go the MatSci route at all, which is uncommon) I'd want to see more reasons to actually modify a mining tool beyond hardness and density, but that's obviously easier said than done.
(04-16-2023, 09:38 AM)Soleil Wrote: The addition of a third way to get better tools is not what I'd call making it easier on new players, unless you plan on completely replacing the current MatSci mining tool building, in which case I'm listening.

Ignoring that, simply using material bars to swap out a head is definitely much easier, but if you end up extending it to hammers or drills it might be a little weird? Though personally I'd much prefer just slapping a drill with 5 bars to change the head versus anything related to the Nano-Fabricator.

The biggest issue with incentivizing players to upgrade their tool is that most people just stop at Bohrum and there's essentially very little reason to do anything else. (If they decide to go the MatSci route at all, which is uncommon) I'd want to see more reasons to actually modify a mining tool beyond hardness and density, but that's obviously easier said than done.

I'd say that the problem about incentivizing players to upgrade their tools beyond Bohrum is MatSci itself, where you can't really make alloys that are harder and more dense than Bohrum. The only rewarding option would be to use better materials, that are harder and/or denser than Bohrum, but that's a lot of work for something that will be better than bohrum by a very small fraction. It's a whole another can of beans that I will not dare to open.

And yeah, I plan on replacing the Mining Nano-Fab with the new pick.
Yeah that's fair, MatSci just be like that. If you're replacing the Nano-Fab I'd like to see this feature extended to hammers and drills as well, but that's another matter. Still, some additional material functionality could tempt people to upgrade differently. For example, telecrystal alloyed metal that makes the ore teleport straight to the rockbox? 👀
I feel like that could go under the "pickaxe modifications" thing I mentioned, where you can just slap some special upgrades on the pickaxe and it will behave differently. Still, that's some interesting ideas. I feel like I'll enjoy experimenting with it when I get around coding it.
I liked these changes until you said you plan on replacing the mining nano-fab entirely with just the custom picks. I don't think mining needs a nerf that severe.

Also scaling damage with tool strength is a bad idea. Miners really don't need another way to make weapons. They already have spears, bows, power hammers, and easy access to erebite, which can all be very powerful in the right hands.
(04-16-2023, 02:37 PM)FireKestrel Wrote: I liked these changes until you said you plan on replacing the mining nano-fab entirely with just the custom picks. I don't think mining needs a nerf that severe.

Also scaling damage with tool strength is a bad idea. Miners really don't need another way to make weapons. They already have spears, bows, power hammers, and easy access to erebite, which can all be very powerful in the right hands.

Yeah, in the design docs I mentioned how making new picks having a scalling damage would require some balancing around the other mining tools (power hammers are pretty broken imho, so my first target would be that.) Spears, yeah, the balancing factor about spears are how those don't fit belts, and making the pick as strong as it would completely destroy that balancing factor. Bows? Haven't seen a powerful miner attack including those. And erebite, yeah, you're right. It'd require to balance a lot of Mining to actually be able to make theses picks do some decent damage against humans, based on it's mining power.

And yeah, I'd remove the nano-fab IF there was a way to make all of those items it has in this new style I mentioned. For now, it will be in the "maybe I'll do it one day" list.
Tbh, power hammers are kinda fine due to their power consumption (maybe some less damage when unpowered). I think custom melee weaponry should orient themselves around these and spears.

Having that said, i would not like the nano fab to be replaced. I would go the complete opposite way and move many parts of mining into the nano fab instead the normal fabricator. But that comes from how i would tackle a mining rework and thus personal preference.

Fabricators are just faulty when it comes to matsci. If theybwould fet a new UI i thing we could get rid of the mining fab