Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 4.43 Average
[CLOSED PR] Accessory slot.
Thumbs Down 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

[CLOTHING][UI][EXPERIMENTAL][FEATURE][QOL][INPUT WANTED]

About the PR
This PR adds barebones support for the accessory slot, a new clothing slot that behaves similarly to the belt. The accessory slot is tied to the "Toggle Inventory" option, so it will hide and become invisible with the other worn clothing options. Accessories can be any `/obj/item` with `c_flag = ONACCESORY` as defined in `defines/clothing.dm`.

[Image: 232267871-1ae623c7-84bc-4584-be9d-0e20b6d30c1e.png]

The icon for the accessory slot itself is supported by all the HUD styles, after I bodged together a set of codersprites that take one of @WALPVRGIS' scarves, sorry!

[Image: 232272216-93d336a3-dbb4-47ff-853d-9a54d18440e5.png]

Mob examine text for when the target mob is wearing an accessory can be varied by where the accessory is worn, which can be set with a `/obj/item` variable, `accessory_location`. The values are determined in `defines/clothing.dm`.

[Image: 232272084-2de12580-9491-4f7f-aa5f-1d0dda84e684.png]

~~Currently, the clothing layer that accessories show up on is defined in `layer.dm` as `MOB_OVERLAY_BASE - 9` after bumping `MOB_ARMOR_LAYER` to `MOB_OVERLAY_BASE - 9.1`. I'm not entirely sure if it should stay that way, maybe we don't want accessories showing up above armour, but I'll put off that decision for later. At some point, it could be worthwhile adding two different layers for accessories that appear above or below armour (so that, say, security badges would show up above an armour vest but a tie would not).~~

So far, there aren't actually any items that are part of this PR that can be worn in the slot. Below is an example of it working with the stethoscope; sprites courtesy of @avimour.

[Image: 232271983-9eff40d5-fb14-418c-a0ce-66e8f3e83eeb.png]
[Image: 232272017-2a228f8b-ff0f-41b0-b6ae-da726649cdcf.png]
[Image: 232272022-5605facf-bea2-429f-b6d8-a49a4406748a.png]

Why's this needed?
I'unno, really, I just wanted to wear my stethoscope around my neck. Maybe there's a use for it, somewhere.

Changelog

Code:
changelog
(u)DisturbHerb
(*)Added the accessory clothing slot to human mobs.

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
I (personally) don't like the idea of a cosmetic-only slot very much, if it's meant to be solely for aesthetic purposes I think it takes up valuable UI and HUD real estate for not a lot of gain. There's lots of cosmetic items that go in other slots, but there's also lots of useful stuff, and thus seeing someone wear a cosmetic item still relays the info to you; if you see someone wearing a jacket you know they don't have armor on for instance. The mob sprites give you a *lot* of info and I think adding more noise to them without any real implications mechanically isn't good.

With stats/useful stuff to wear in the slot I'd like it *more*, though I'm not really sure the PR is meant to be like that. I think it would be kinda a bummer if stuff like scarves (the best use-case for this slot probably) didn't give a bit of cold res, it's a cute attention to detail thing that I like in this sorta game. Bear in mind of course that I'm just Me and only speaking to my own opinions (and not any other admin's thoughts) of course. I do think the HUD element itself fits in quite well with the others and are placed in good spots.
As an avid scarf wearer, i would love this.

I think this PR is meant as a groundwork and once implemented, peopke surely will begin to move functionality into it. Adding functional items from the get-go would probably contribute to scope-creep to it.
(04-15-2023, 11:09 PM)Flaborized Wrote: I (personally) don't like the idea of a cosmetic-only slot very much, if it's meant to be solely for aesthetic purposes I think it takes up valuable UI and HUD real estate for not a lot of gain. There's lots of cosmetic items that go in other slots, but there's also lots of useful stuff, and thus seeing someone wear a cosmetic item still relays the info to you; if you see someone wearing a jacket you know they don't have armor on for instance. The mob sprites give you a *lot* of info and I think adding more noise to them without any real implications mechanically isn't good.

Given that this PR currently only adds the slot itself - and nothing that actually fits into it - it's something worth working on. The first use-case that I thought of, of course, was to have a storage space for my stethoscope that wasn't just my pocket or backpack. Maybe "accessory" isn't the best name to give it, but it is supposed to be a place for worn items that don't (in my opinion) fit anywhere else. Scarves really shouldn't take up the entire suit slot.

(04-15-2023, 11:09 PM)Flaborized Wrote: With stats/useful stuff to wear in the slot I'd like it *more*, though I'm not really sure the PR is meant to be like that. I think it would be kinda a bummer if stuff like scarves (the best use-case for this slot probably) didn't give a bit of cold res, it's a cute attention to detail thing that I like in this sorta game. Bear in mind of course that I'm just Me and only speaking to my own opinions (and not any other admin's thoughts) of course. I do think the HUD element itself fits in quite well with the others and are placed in good spots.

Yeah, that is something that'd be great to have. It's just that I personally feel that some of the cosmetic items that currently go in the suit slot shouldn't take up the whole thing, such as the scarves we already have. If we moved all our scarves over to the accessory slot and gave them cold resistance, that'd be great.

Another silly idea I had was to turn security badges into accessories and then give a vanishingly low chance for it to catch a single kinetic bullet (which would then destroy the badge or render it unable to catch any more) without it dealing damage.
While it starts as a "Fashion slot"

I can see a lot of use of having a "Neck slot/chest slot" for certain gear and items.
So not a chest pocket, but something especially ment to be wore on the chest and neck area.

While the only thing that comes to mind right now is a "Neck brace"
When tweaked by traitors it becomes a "bomb neckbrace" where you can do some "Saw shit"

Otherwise having more options is always better in my eyes.
I think I want this, provided that scarves etc provide relatively minor bonuses. Ties etc. would be rad.

The main thing to watch out for would be if there're any significant breakpoints hit, or significant armor bonuses (AKA. hitting 100% cold res without a spacesuit)

The second thing to watch out for is how several items that should be accessories currently provide 'penalty stats' because they lock you out of wearing other things.

For example, the HoS' medal provides 2 melee armor, presumably because you can't wear armor while you have it equipped. It doesn't make a lot of sense to have this in accessory slot though.
The implementation I'd like to see is for this slot to be added, and then a large refactor of existing clothing that fits better in it to happen. Like TDHooligan said, a lot of things have wacky stats that need tuning and there's obvious balancing concerns.

Once that is done however, the potential for this slot skyrockets. Flowers can be put here to put them on your chest. Put your ID in it for it to serve as a name badge. Security badges, scarves, neckties, bowties, necklaces, amulets, shoulder pads, chokers, one of those uncomfortable airport sleeping pillows. There's so much that could be done.

The biggest complaint is of course visual clutter. We've already got quite a lot going on with some clothing, so this would definitely make it worse. Personally I think this is something that can be worked around with extremely minimal sprites. You can always examine someone to see whats up. So I'm tentatively in favor of this, but it's a project alright.
If this taking up UI space is an issue you could add a feature to toggle it for those who don't want to use it. I personally think this is a great addition.
At the very least, the entire clothing section can be hidden with the press of a button.
There is SO much potential for a neck slot. The clown having a bow tie/flower that squirts water in your face. Bow ties, regular ties, cravats, scarves, victorian style ruffles, stethoscopes (as mentioned), badges, the PDA, a poppy or various other flowers, a cross on a necklace for a chaplain (in case of emergency), a plastic snake draped over the shoulders, literal mentor/admin mice, a false parrot to sit on a shoulder, an aussie hat which sits on your back hanging around your neck by a string, an access pass for visitors/tourists/diplomats.

There's probably quite a few things that go on the face slot which could be adapted to go in the neck slot instead (or even be able to fit on both). Monkey translator comes to mind, although probably for balance reasons that won't happen. There could be alternative sprites for certain kinds of face mask, so you could have an oxygen or gas mask dangling around the neck as a sort of standby, when you don't want to obscure your face.

The UI impact I feel isn't really that big in my opinion. The one square's position as proposed by the PR fits quite snugly with the other slots, in both inventory views and I think some people might not even notice the difference.

The in world visual impact, yes there might be some clutter visually, but that comes down to the individual items' sprites themselves and not the slot. There isn't much space to work with, I agree, but it's not an insurmountable task.

Overall, I think the change will be a lot of work, and may possibly require a clothing component rework or some similar large scale refactor to make it work well (although I don't think so, and certainly hope not), but very much worth it.
i'd like this if only to be able to wear a security badge without sacrificing the armor slot
I'd like it for cosmetics only, things like security badges (so they have a reason to be worn that isn't just flexing) or small cosmetic clothing items like bandanas. Nothing that goes in this slot should (imo) have protection values. That way you don't have "meta" picks to stack your cold/heat res even higher, otherwise that's all the slot would be used for on classic.
i love this idea a lot and i feel is something that would give a lot more options to clothing fashion and is subtle enough to work just fine imo
(04-17-2023, 09:53 AM)Sord213 Wrote: I'd like it for cosmetics only, things like security badges (so they have a reason to be worn that isn't just flexing) or small cosmetic clothing items like bandanas. Nothing that goes in this slot should (imo) have protection values. That way you don't have "meta" picks to stack your cold/heat res even higher, otherwise that's all the slot would be used for on classic.

If we were to actively debuff our existing winter clothing items and then offset that debuff with scarves, would that be a little more palatable?
Could probably just have this as a neck slot, and change the "ID slot" as a kind of chest pocket slot.