Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bacteriology as a replacement for pathology
Hey so i talked with some people about pathology. I though the main problem was that it about pathogens. But why only study them just study the harmless stuff. I though of a system for how it could work. Should i even try or is there none who would want to code this.

Don't expect me to very active on this. Or at least expect me to be somewhat inconsistent with my reply's.
It's very dead at the moment as most stations that had pathology have been converted to extended medbays.

Only 1 station remains and that's donut 3.. but that's purposely in ruins.

May it come back? Sure if someone can code and design it without it turning into an epidemic every round.
I did not intend to bring back old pathology. I intended to replace it with a new system. The main thing with this system is that your bacteria cannot infect people in a harmful way unless your an antag. Do you think there is any coder who will ever be willing to even look this suggestion.
you kinda didn't describe any potential features of this proposed replacement system. sort of hard for a coder to gauge their interest in working on it if there's no specifics available
The most important question in this case is what purpose the department serves in the context of the station as a whole. Pathology's only baseline function was to give people diseases (even if they were beneficial ones) and had effectively no other way to interact; contrast this to Robotics, Hydroponics, QM, Mining, et cetera which all have interactions with other departments and multiple ways in which they can affect a round.
So im currently writing a word file which will hopefully explained hoe it works well. But over all the point of this is that it can be used for a lot of different thing. Similar to how genetics is cool but has no specific use its just find cool genes and give them to people. Bacteriology can be used to grow walls, have chems be produced inside of people, clean the floors automatically. Its kinda like with botany it can do a lot of weird things but takes a lot of setup. Plus if the admins ever want to add back diseases proper this kind of department will be needed. 

To give a basic idea on how it works you go out and collect bacteria samples. Each one has genes which do lots of things. Do some splicing and some editing and you might get a useful bacteria. So say you get the gene for hemovore which means it eats blood and the gene for exovivo survival which means it can grow outside of the body. You have a bacteria that will grow on the floor and eat up all the blood.

Edit

Im trying not to go into too much depth about the mechanics of the system because im still working on it. Plus i was worried that everyone was so done with pathology that none would want to code it.
(04-07-2023, 11:25 AM)Dr simramor Wrote: To give a basic idea on how it works you go out and collect bacteria samples. Each one has genes which do lots of things. Do some splicing and some editing and you might get a useful bacteria. So say you get the gene for hemovore which means it eats blood and the gene for exovivo survival which means it can grow outside of the body. You have a bacteria that will grow on the floor and eat up all the blood.

Honestly, I'm kinda down for giving Genetics this bacteriology stuff as long as it remains gene related. Give them more ways to interact with others and with the round beyond "Hey everyone I got the cool stuff" and having nothing else interesting to do. Something to dabble in while researching human genes too.
(04-07-2023, 02:12 PM)Dhaidburt Wrote:
(04-07-2023, 11:25 AM)Dr simramor Wrote: To give a basic idea on how it works you go out and collect bacteria samples. Each one has genes which do lots of things. Do some splicing and some editing and you might get a useful bacteria. So say you get the gene for hemovore which means it eats blood and the gene for exovivo survival which means it can grow outside of the body. You have a bacteria that will grow on the floor and eat up all the blood.

Honestly, I'm kinda down for giving Genetics this bacteriology stuff as long as it remains gene related. Give them more ways to interact with others and with the round beyond "Hey everyone I got the cool stuff" and having nothing else interesting to do. Something to dabble in while researching human genes too.

This was supposed to be a different department. For one its a different system because bacteria genes do not function like people genes. Second both take time to get going so you can't be doing both at the same time. Sure they both handle genes but in very different ways and can do different tings.
Ironically... I posted the genetics taking "Microbiology" department into them. So the job isn't just: "Sit behind console all day"

Anyhow.. this suggestion is too vague at the moment. Wait till you are done and post a new topic or update this one.
(04-08-2023, 09:38 AM)Kotlol Wrote: Ironically... I posted the genetics taking "Microbiology" department into them. So the job isn't just: "Sit behind console all day"

Anyhow.. this suggestion is too vague at the moment. Wait till you are done and post a new topic or update this one.

Im still working on it but i want your opinion on collection. As its very important to the system as whole.  You collect bacteria from different sources. From blood or vomit or urine and things like that. You can also get weird alien bacteria from asteroids.
Since i got banned im have mostly lost my motivation to continue working on this. It does not matter as its unlikely a developer would bother to use this idea now. So here this is what i got take it. I can sill answer questions if anyone still cares. 

One of the big problems with pathology is the pathogens. That means all your working with are dangerous or at least capable of causing problems. But what if we just study the other serval million species of microbes that are harmless to humans. So I suggest we make bacteriology where you study bacteria but not the dangerous ones. Unless you make them dangerous on purpose.

Your Lab.

Currently only bacteriologist, The medical director, security and the heads have access to this area. Your lab is isolated and has one door leading in. To enter and exist there is a decontamination checkpoint you have to walk past. This acts like a med scanner except it bombardes you with Uv light to kill any bacteria on you. This will not kill bacteria in containers.

1. So your lab has a sample fridge which will keep your samples hopefully safe.

2. A test chamber with a vend-o-chimp in it. So, you can test your hopefully harmless bacteria on the very much not harmless monkeys. If this causes problems it might be necessary to make it where only you, HoS, and the captain can access this chamber. Hopefully this will not need to be done.

3.  The main device you will be using is called the MSA which stands for Microbe Sample Analyzer. This lets you analyze and modify your bacteria genomes. This will be talked about more later.

Stage 1 collection.
To do work you need samples which are just samples of bacteria. In your lab there will be several starting samples in a fridge. But you will need more over time. So, each sample has a set of traits in it, some active some dormant. They can even have harmful ones, but they will either be dormant or the bacteria will not be infectious to humans or monkeys. To collect a sample you need to find things like blood, vomit, urine, or just scrap the inside of a toilet. You can even find weird alien bacteria by scraping the dust of asteroids. Just click on it with a petri dish and you got a sample.

Stage 2 analysis.
So you put your sample into your MSA and you get to see everything about it. So, bacteria have traits. First you have viable hosts. Which can be humans, monkeys, or whatever. They can either be Non valid which means they can’t get infected. They can be Asymptomatic carriers which means they will get infected but suffer no symptoms and can give it to other hosts. Then you valid hosts which will experience symptoms.

Then you have the bacteria’s genes. These are what the thing can do or how it works. These can be things like it being resistant to rads or causing brain damage in hosts.

Feel free to still post here.
Seems good though coders will be crying on the inside trying to make it work
They made tela science. Need i say more.
(05-01-2023, 01:15 PM)Dr simramor Wrote: They made tela science. Need i say more.

Fair