Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Cutting ID Wire Should Electrocute
Cutting the ID wire on a door is a lot more harmful and difficult to repair when compared to an unpowered+crowbar'd door. However most players are incentivized to the former because it does not electrocute you, and hence you do not need to get insulated gloves. However an unfortunate side effect is that a lot of non-antags will very often hack department doors and cut the ID wire, whether it be security, botany, chemistry, or frankly any door standing in their path, and I wouldn't have a problem with this if they fixed the door, but most of them remain broken. This get's particularly annoying for security departments. It also doesn't make sense that cutting the ID wire on a door would not electrocute you, it should have the same treatment as any other kind of hacking would give you.
It's a screwdriver, a wirecutter and 3 clicks to fix it...

To be honest, with how important stealthy breaking and entering for antags is, this is a bad idea.
I mean Duke isn't suggesting removing what the ID wire does just making it harder on those without insuls. I mean it makes sense to a large degree. So this Idea has my backing, Insuls for the win smile
it's small, but the fact that doors with the id wire cut don't open when you bump into them adds so much annoyance. i would support this change if only because i'm tired of everyone just cutting the id wire and waltzing in and then leaving it for other people to deal with. hacking into pretty much anywhere is incredibly easy right now, i don't think it would be that bad to introduce a bit more risk.

from a game mechanics standpoint, doesn't pulsing the test light wire and crowbarring the door seem like the option that should be *easier*, considering it makes a huge racket? the risk should be that you're drawing attention to yourself, cutting the wire should be the stealthier option that requires more preparation.

edit: oops apparently i was just completely wrong about how it works right now
The ID wire doesn't need to carry power to the door, so it's probably a 5V low current type deal.

The ID wire is, as far as I know, the intended no-insul way to break in through a door. Requiring insuls for any hacking at all isn't going to do the game any good.
It's also a good least-invasive method to enable access to a department in case of an emergency. Thevother would be depowering, opening and then waiting for power to bolt the door or deconstructing it.
My favorite way of hacking into places is signaling with the multitool to turn off the safety. Crowbar in and move on.

The reason I don't cut wires is the risk of getting shocked where as the multitool can accidentally electrify the door.

IN MY OPINION, if you are cutting wires without INSULS you are just asking to be SHOCKED. If you don't wanna do with insuls...use the mulitool to signal it open.
(04-06-2023, 12:00 AM)Doop Wrote: it's small, but the fact that doors with the id wire cut don't open when you bump into them adds so much annoyance.

Actually it does. They changed it like a month or so ago that it does auto open when you bump into it.