Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Cyborg Mind Transfer on Death
Was talkin with some people on the discord about this idea and had some overall good feedback about it, there is usually a lack of people willing to play cyborg frames, and as such, roboticists will typically end up with a stockpile of latejoin robot frames that nobody uses, lets put some use to those. Cyborgs should have the ability to toggle (in robot commands, will be turned on by default) to choose to have their mind automatically transferred to a latejoin cyborg frame on death. The transfer would be instant on the death of the borg, to prevent them from viewing ghostchat/meta info, etc. The transfer would not occur if the brain is removed via normal roboticist methods, and maybe the signal jammer could stop something like that in a niche case that you don't want a borg witness to get out.

Create a borg army without the need for having an army of people willing to play borg, just an army of borg frames!
I'm down for this, though there's some specifics that get in the way of this being as simple as it sounds.
1. What happens when a borg dies, but robotics doesn't have a spare handy? Would they immediately respawn into the new frame as soon as it's ready, even if the brain is stolen but not destroyed?

2. What happens when borg's can basically have bonus lives? They don't need to worry about cloning mishaps or their brain being destroyed after the unit is damaged enough, they just return immediately. Are they going to value their own lives less? Are humans going to value their lives less since ofc robotics has backups ready?

3. What happens when those latejoin cyborgs are used by latejoiners? Are the cyborgs going to groan now since their backup is now gone without any control over it, are they going to pester robotics for yet more backups even if they're busy? Not to mention, any latejoins could mean drastically increasing the amount of spares.

4. What happens with robotics? Are they just going to become a robot churning simulator as the metallic storm washes over us all? Not all labs are made equal, what happens in stations where there just isn't enough room for backups for the 4 borgs?

5. What happens if someone, trying to prevent these revives, spaces a backup? Will the revive work on suicide, since they're spaced with potentially no way of rescue? Would that count as griefing?
I miss the days when if cloning went belly-up, it was standard practice to shunt all dead people to robotics. You'd get some really hectic robotics rounds where you'd churn out borgs nonstop. Why did folks stop doing that?

I like the idea, it would allow for more station mechanics that are so dangerous that crew ideally don't get near them but send in borgs instead knowing those have backups.
Oppose. Borgs don't really need this buff. It is already quite rare to die as a borg. Usually it happens when you are rogue and then you probably will get reassembled after. Being impossible to be revived after an antag takes your brain is a needed downside.
(04-03-2023, 02:46 AM)valtsu0 Wrote: Oppose. Borgs don't really need this buff. It is already quite rare to die as a borg. Usually it happens when you are rogue and then you probably will get reassembled after. Being impossible to be revived after an antag takes your brain is a needed downside.

Unlike what I think.
This idea ain't the worst idea in the game. I support it since it allows borgs to be what they are suppose to be.
"DISPOSABLE"

Sure Borgs rarely die, but they also avoid BEING killed. But now with death transfer? They can just keep respawning every single time as long as there is a spare body.
Allowing borgs to take unnessarcy risks and making it more fun to play a borg.

Doing a dangerous A-Zone? Bring a borg with you as a meatshield if it goes wrong.
Area with mines? Send in the borg!
(04-03-2023, 03:31 AM)Kotlol Wrote: Unlike what I think.
This idea ain't the worst idea in the game. I support it since it allows borgs to be what they are suppose to be.
"DISPOSABLE"

Personally, i would say borgs need to be more vulnerable to be more disposeable. That's at least how i feel when i think about validhunting borgs as antag or mass rogue borgs as non-antag.
(04-03-2023, 03:38 AM)Lord_earthfire Wrote:
(04-03-2023, 03:31 AM)Kotlol Wrote: Unlike what I think.
"DISPOSABLE"

Personally,  i would say borgs need to be more vulnerable to be more disposeable. That's at least how i feel when i think about validhunting borgs as antag or mass rogue borgs as non-antag.

I'd have no problem with this. It also gives more reasons for cyborgs wanting more sturdy bodies.
Also it would help with a "cyborg station gone" rogue scenerio. Something that won't end in.. stunning a borg and constantly beating them up for 30 seconds.
(04-03-2023, 03:31 AM)Kotlol Wrote: Doing a dangerous A-Zone? Bring a borg with you as a meatshield if it goes wrong.
Area with mines? Send in the borg!

That is already a really good idea. Heavy borgs can take a lot of bullets even without the shield upgrade and if it dies, borgs bodies already fit in backpacks (you will need a box with heads). As long as the borg doesn't walk into lava the brain will survive. The danger is important part of some adzones.

Additionally while this is probably unintentional, borgs can use the teleport upgrade to leave whenever they want

It would take nerfing quite a lot of things about borgs to make this balanced. I think mind transfer is better as it is currently, being something only AIs have.
(04-03-2023, 01:22 AM)BatElite Wrote: I miss the days when if cloning went belly-up, it was standard practice to shunt all dead people to robotics. You'd get some really hectic robotics rounds where you'd churn out borgs nonstop. Why did folks stop doing that?

They didn't, I see it pretty often when there's experienced roboticists.

No to borgs getting a second life like this. Seems way too powerful.
I'd prefer the idea I suggested ages ago about borgs being able to backup their intelligence on a computer that could be loaded into a new body after death.  Borg cloning, essentially.
(04-03-2023, 05:40 AM)Mouse Wrote: I'd prefer the idea I suggested ages ago about borgs being able to backup their intelligence on a computer that could be loaded into a new body after death.  Borg cloning, essentially.

Probably much better. It does mean printing a new cyborg brain takes abit longer.
I think if this were to be added Borg's would need to be nerfed to be less durable. But overall it's a really cool Idea imo, making it seem like there's an army of Borg's without actually having a ton of people play as borgs
(04-04-2023, 12:50 AM)NanoDano Wrote: I think if this were to be added Borg's would need to be nerfed to be less durable. But overall it's a really cool Idea imo, making it seem like there's an army of Borg's without actually having a ton of people play as borgs

Borgs are already comically weak, stuns absolutely own them by approaching them with a flash and pressing the C button on your keyboard can just own them.
(04-04-2023, 05:10 AM)Jakson Wrote:
(04-04-2023, 12:50 AM)NanoDano Wrote: I think if this were to be added Borg's would need to be nerfed to be less durable. But overall it's a really cool Idea imo, making it seem like there's an army of Borg's without actually having a ton of people play as borgs

Borgs are already comically weak, stuns absolutely own them by approaching them with a flash and pressing the C button on your keyboard can just own them.

Yep. But that's the thing... you can stun own em.. and then if you gotta break em it's just long arguish combo of "Stun, beat up , beat up, Stun, beat up, beat up" Repeat till death.

If anything by making them less durable not only will the borg be stunned less and thus unable to do anything and die and respawn faster.
It will also allow them to take more risks.
While Law 2 says preserve thyself. We also know that law gets ignored with back ups... "You are preserved"

Allowing borgs to be slightly more reckless and less durable with a safety net is what I think will make people be more WILLING to play borg.
(04-04-2023, 05:10 AM)Jakson Wrote:

A stunned borg is still one in the way and/or following you later. That 20 seconds you waste beating up the borg that bodyblocks you is enough to get the attention to get you caught. Or in a rogue ai situations enable another borg or ai shell to carry in a can of plasma.

Borgs are not a problem because they are dangerous. But because they don't care for poisons, slowdown and on top of that are stupidly fast and expandable so they just bodyblock you and waste your time.