Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4 Average
[CLOSED PR] Replaces the baton in the "baton only" weapon vendor with a throwable ...
Thumbs Down 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

[BALANCE] [FEATURE] [GAME OBJECTS] [INPUT WANTED]

About the PR
Replaces the baton in the baton only loadout with a baton that can stun people when thrown (similar to the ntsc's).
Credit to Karma (Keiro) for the sprites.

[Image: 229389222-2ae70993-e33d-42a8-b464-cd855810d3d4.png]

Why's this needed?
People in the discord seemed to think it would be nice if the baton only loadout served some kind of function other than a bad baton refill.

Changelog

Code:
changelog
(u)Wisemonster, Karma (Keiro)
(*)Replaces the baton in the "baton only" loadout in the sec vendor with a baton that can stun people when thrown. (spritework by Karma(Keiro) on the Discord)

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
I'm all for this as the nerd that goes on about wanting a melee sec class all the time. I can see how some would wanna keep it as a NTSC unique thing?
this will be my new HoS loadout pick
The NTSC gets the throwable baton because they know enough sec to be able to tactically be a dumbass and put there baton on risk. Doesn't seem like a good idea to give antags even more batons when the new secoff decides to throw there baton and miss the fourth time in a row. Also takes away from the distinctness of NTSC gear which seems eh
it should come with a gauntlet or glove of some kind that will cause it to return
(04-02-2023, 05:52 PM)Ikea Wrote: Doesn't seem like a good idea to give antags even more batons when the new secoff decides to throw there baton and miss the fourth time in a row.

In general, I don't think new players pick the ""Just a baton" option, and I doubt that would suddenly change if the baton became throwable. Also, I rather have antags get one throwable but otherwise standard baton over something like a shotgun taser plus a baton, which is what they usually get now.
i honestly love this idea and i feel it would be a nice challenge while still feeling rewarding and fun
im all for this loadout change, gives you a ranged option with just a baton without needing riot grenades or aoe flash and its just dumb fun.
For this suggestion... but it needs to be fine tweaked.
For example, throwing the baton causes a discharge that drains A LOT OF THE BATTERY.
Totally against this.

Do not want new sec throwing batons or HoS just getting a better baton or players trying to brag they're "too cool" for ranged loadouts which will happen.

Just a baton is just a baton (and an extra token). Nothing more and nothing less.

Also, throwing is generally
(04-03-2023, 04:56 AM)Cal Wrote: Totally against this.

Do not want new sec throwing batons or HoS just getting a better baton or players trying to brag they're "too cool" for ranged loadouts which will happen.

Just a baton is just a baton (and an extra token). Nothing more and nothing less.

...generally what? Too strong?

I'm all for making the game more fun, but my sneaking suspicion is that this will lead to more non-sec people (and antags) having access to Stun Batons, which isn't exactly ideal.
Incredibly disappointed this PR got closed so quickly (less than 24 hours of PR???) and I think more discussion needs to be had on this, since a lot of the arguments against it seem to contradict each other. New security are never going to pick the "Just a Baton" loadout because they will recognize it is a hardcore class. A few people argue that it will be too strong(??????), despite it being balanced by the fact that if you miss your baton, you look like a doofus, and now you have no more stun weaponry on you, so if anything, the class becomes even more hardcore now due to the style factor of the risk of throwing out your only weapon; considering some people think this goes against the original intent of the loadout, I think this would solidify it as a hardcore loadout, a high risk loadout with very little reward.

also "players trying to brag they're "too cool" for ranged loadouts which will happen." since when was this a major concern of anybody in any balancing context
(04-03-2023, 05:09 AM)RelentlessGarbage Wrote:
(04-03-2023, 04:56 AM)Cal Wrote: Totally against this.

...generally what? Too strong?

I'm all for making the game more fun, but my sneaking suspicion is that this will lead to more non-sec people (and antags) having access to Stun Batons, which isn't exactly ideal.

Oh whoops, was on my phone. Yeah I was gonna say generally faster than having to lead a bullet.
Even if this doesn't go through I would love that baton skins as a medal or something
(04-04-2023, 12:21 AM)NanoDano Wrote: Even if this doesn't go through I would love that baton skins as a medal or something

Indeed, that baton color fills me full of bees  Sleeping bee Sleeping bee Sleeping bee Sleeping bee Sleeping bee