Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
ANOTHER Artifact Thread? (>")>
Surgery Arts
  •  Let surgery arts draw from the same pool as that one faustian contract that randomizes your limbs occasionally. There's a MASSIVE amount of limbs you can get from it that you pretty much never see, it would fit perfectly with surgery arts!
  • While we're here, what about alternative organs that aren't synth or cyber, stuff like plasma lungs? I'm sure there's other organs I haven't seen before, what if the list included those?

Implanters
  • Radiation bursts
  • Random chemical production (similar to the very rare mutation)
  • Radio channel(s)

Wishgranters
  •  As a nod to Adventure Time, the ability to waste your wish by asking for sandwiches (delicious or poisonous sandwiches spawn) 
  • Wishing for more wishes (a random and extremely painful death every single time)
  • Asking for eternal life will turn you into a hostile zombie mob (player loses control) or..... (I need help thinking of a positive wish)

Please gimme some suggestions in the comments and thanks for reading!

EDIT 1: Just had an idea for a wish to be irresistible that either turns you into a controllable figurine/cat or a cluwne. Both attract attention for very different reasons: everyone showers cute things with praise and attention and people hunt down cluwnes because they're valid. I'm not saying it's right, but you are pretty much guaranteed to be hunted down as a cluwne.

EDIT 2: Was discussing with Noot the ability to wrench down gas emitters to air hookups. If we had emitters that gave oxygen and a comfortable temperature level like heaters did, it would be quite lovely. That or infinite n2o flooding medbay, thats cool too.
I like the idea of irresistable failure causing you to get chem factory: bubsium. That way you're literally irresistible!

Also related to arts, to make them more traitor-friendly I think it'd be good to have some kind of traitor item that can instantly identify artefacts - what kind they are and how to activate them. At the moment, you generally have to activate them in artsci which means everyone knows where to go when a bomb is activated. It'd be a fun thing if traitors knew that they'd stumbled upon a big bomb, and could set it up somewhere to activate out of the ordinary.
(03-31-2023, 08:30 AM)Kamikaze Mongoose Wrote: Surgery Arts
  •  Let surgery arts draw from the same pool as that one faustian contract that randomizes your limbs occasionally. There's a MASSIVE amount of limbs you can get from it that you pretty much never see, it would fit perfectly with surgery arts!

I really prefer limb replacement over organ replacement, since synth or cyber organs can already be produced on the station and having funky limbs is immediately apparent.

Haven't seen the contract limbs tbh, but if they're what they sound like (useless limbs) then why not? Have the more useful limbs be even more of a treat and oddity to see, and laugh at the man with arms for legs. This artifact could certainly use some potential downsides.

(03-31-2023, 08:30 AM)Kamikaze Mongoose Wrote: Implanters
  • Radiation bursts
  • Random chemical production (similar to the very rare mutation)
  • Radio channel(s)

This needs more direction, since implanters are based on a specific type of artifact and this doesn't fit the remaining two types, martian or precursor. They also aren't dramatic enough, like changing your species or instagibbing you, though that can be easily changed. Heres an idea based on radiation but also needs more direction to martain or precursor as well:
  • Positive: After being irradiated enough, gain a specific positive gene and severely reduce the radiation levels in the user. Most common being radiation resist, can be enhanced or stablized.
  • Gimmick: Randomly glow green and start fooling nearby equipment that you're impossibly irradiated (geiger counters go NUTS, medical readings show radiation into the hundreds, maybe gene analyzers even show random mutations that aren't there)
  • Negative: Upon receiving a certain level of radiation, you're rapidly flooded with a random chemical until you reach the chemical cap and are gibbed, spraying the room in said chemical.

(03-31-2023, 08:30 AM)Kamikaze Mongoose Wrote: Wishgranters
  •  As a nod to Adventure Time, the ability to waste your wish by asking for sandwiches (delicious or poisonous sandwiches spawn) 
  • Wishing for more wishes (a random and extremely painful death every single time)
  • Asking for eternal life will turn you into a hostile zombie mob (player loses control) or..... (I need help thinking of a positive wish)

I feel like wishgranters are in a pretty good spot right now, giving endless wealth or superpowers at the risk of perma-death (if puritan) is simple and easy to understand. 

Though side idea, what if you could just say these specific wishes out loud, like have secret wishes? You already say your wish out loud, just try stuff out and see what works! Maybe get the artifact angry if you keep saying bad wishes.

(03-31-2023, 08:30 AM)Kamikaze Mongoose Wrote: EDIT 2: Was discussing with Noot the ability to wrench down gas emitters to air hookups. If we had emitters that gave oxygen and a comfortable temperature level like heaters did, it would be quite lovely. That or infinite n2o flooding medbay, thats cool too.

That sounds fantastic, but I'm torn on this. On the one hand, endless oxygen or other gasses that engineers can fool around with in the engine! I don't need to toss an artifact into space right away! On the other hand, medbay is now burning hot from gasses nobody can see and people keep running in and nearly burning to death.

That stuff's hard enough to handle in the artlab, what happens when it floods an area as large as medbay without an engineer on point? There's no limit on the gas either so who knows what could happen if nobody catches on in time (other than a shuttle call ofc)
(03-31-2023, 08:30 AM)Kamikaze Mongoose Wrote: EDIT 2: Was discussing with Noot the ability to wrench down gas emitters to air hookups. If we had emitters that gave oxygen and a comfortable temperature level like heaters did, it would be quite lovely. That or infinite n2o flooding medbay, thats cool too.

You can already wrench scrubbers or air pumps onto air hookups. So that is already, just slightly more dangerous.
gas venting artifacts give you a better idea of what temperature gas is being out put now and it can be near or at room temperature (just not too common); you definitely can use an o2 one to re-pressurize rooms but it's risky because you have to make sure the gas isn't outright poison first and then assess the temperature. currently they also only output to a certain pressure level before stopping, iirc, so being able to wrench them down directly to a port might make that not work

(comedy option for later: gas radiators should list their gas output temperature as the artifact temp on the heater.)

"bombs can only be activated in artlab": not really, you can activate pretty much anything outside of artlab, it's just much easier to do it inside since you also get the tools and ejectors

if you're extremely knowledgable with artlab, like some dumb nerd with a spreadsheet that i know of, the only real worry is accidentallya activating one with the xray machine before you know exactly what type of bomb it is

artlab is just the culprit for art bombs because 95 times out of 100 artifacts come out of artlab.
My problem with some of the artifacts is they go off INSTANTLY.
Especially heat surges... no warning.. the moment you activate em.. they got boom and make a mess of the lab.
Same as gas ones, but atleast that one can be counteracted and won't do permanent damage and some scientists can work through it.

But heathaze basicly is not "if" it happens... but WHEN IT HAPPENS.
Especially hilarious when a COLD is the activation.
(04-02-2023, 02:12 PM)Kotlol Wrote: My problem with some of the artifacts is they go off INSTANTLY.
Especially heat surges... no warning.. the moment you activate em.. they got boom and make a mess of the lab.
Same as gas ones, but atleast that one can be counteracted and won't do permanent damage and some scientists can work through it.

But heathaze basicly is not "if" it happens... but WHEN IT HAPPENS.
Especially hilarious when a COLD is the activation.

Thats the great part about heatsurge, to be honest. Kinda wish we had more artifacts like that. It makes it chaotic and exciting. Besides, if you try to identify "conspicuous marking" artifacts, you are asking for it (i love to do it, though).

Besides, you can mostly identify them, if you really want to.
Oooh I suddenly thought of Hellraiser. Imagine if there was a traitor item that could take on the form of something valuable or just a little box and depending on how you arranged the puzzle different things happen, from violent gibbing to summoning a demon or hostile mob of some sort. There could be chances for good things like obviously super powers or money too. Like a traitor artifact the Chaplain uses or has a guide book that has randomly mix and matched solutions for the box.