Franz Kraber - HoS Application
Quote: "Governments may think and say as they like, but force cannot be eliminated, and it is the only real and unanswerable power.” - Adrian Carton de Wiart

Usual character name: Franz Kraber, L.I.F.E. for silicons
BYOND username: Shoo0
Discord username (if you are on our discord): Shoo#1995
Recommended by (if applicable): N/A
Goon servers you play: Heisenbee

Reason for application: 
Whenever I see a HoS I know that the round is going to be more fun or interesting than it would otherwise be. Whether it be more interactions between crew and sec, the fact that antagonists will likely be guaranteed to have a chance to take actions, or the fact that a HoS is attempting to coordinate sec, having a HoS always makes rounds more enjoyable for me at least. So, why do I want to be a HoS? Well, I want to improve security and help sec officers or sec assistants learn, I want to interact with the crew more often, and I want to make the round more enjoyable for everyone. 

Security experience (300 word minimum):
Security was my last department that I played mainly because I didn’t feel ready for it. I played a bit of sec assistant and then one round I saw there was one sec officer and late-joined as a sec officer in order to try and help out. After that I felt confident enough to continue playing sec officer but had some sec assistant rounds mixed in. Sometimes problems occurred whether they be other sec officers, random people, or antagonists but as I learned to deal with them I started enjoying sec more, it went from something that I did because I felt it would be good to learn sec to something I truly enjoyed. Whenever a HoS was around it was only more enjoyable. Crew interacted more, normal people didn’t seem to cause as many problems, and antagonists took more action. As I played sec more and more I’ve found that sec sometimes needs to be more forceful. Someone breaking into armory shouldn’t be allowed to walk away unhindered and people causing problems sometimes need to be arrested for a short while to learn their lesson. I personally enjoy staying in sec and going out to rescue people more than going out and patrolling because I know that sec officers have a habit of going out alone and ending up dead whether it be due to lack of communication or because a singular sec officer isn’t the most threatening thing to antagonists. The feeling of working together as a team is fun for me and I want to try and have more sec teams work together rather than everyone going alone because I know and have experienced how rounds go when a sec team doesn’t communicate or don’t respond to alerts or death notifications. I put off writing this application because I wanted more experience but I think I have enough to confidently say I can be a HoS.

Answer two or more of the following:

What advice would you give to other sec players?
Communicate, leave your disk and labeled pinpointer on the table, but also be reasonable, someone who is going on a successful rampage needs to be fought and killed but the person with a chameleon projector or a c-saber that isn’t doing any harm doesn’t need to be spaced as soon as you arrest them if you arrest them at all.

What was one of your favorite security moments? (Either playing as a sec officer or interacting with one)
My favorite moment of interacting with security was when I had acquired a “Cyalume Saber” card from one of the card decks and challenged the HoS to a duel. The HoS managed to acquire a c-saber and our duel began and instantly ended after we hit each other once due to me dying instantly. The HoS believed I had an actual c-saber and any sec officer could’ve arrested me to take away my card but they didn’t, allowing for my “amazing” duel with the HoS.

My most memorable round as sec was one of my first rounds of sec assistant. A sec officer had the backwards speech mutation so I took the job of translating for them. This was fun even if it was simple and I got to see a bit of how sec worked until there were reports of zombies. Me, another sec officer, and the sec officer I was following went back to sec and almost all of the rest of sec was already there. We started barricading sec and even got rid of one zombie but then the server crashed. It was a fun round not only because of the zombies but also because I got to have a mostly unimportant job that I enjoyed and learn while completing my job.

Describe any differences in your playstyle when part of a full security team and when being the only security officer.
A full security team means I’m willing to go on patrol and look around rather than staying in sec more because I know that if I call for help on the radio someone will likely come. If I’m alone then I’ll try and ask the AI for help and try to help people who call things out rather than walking around waiting for things to happen.

Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):

Write a poem to convey your thoughts on security/NanoTrasen/space/bees/anything related to SS13.
The head of shoes
Is coming for you
When you are found
Your shoes will be
On the ground

What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run?
I’ve thought about holding a sports competition between sec and antags instead of the usual hunt down an antag and arrest them. A coach can be the referee and games like baseball, board games, basketball, and maybe even football if there’s traitors that want to cooperate.

Another gimmick I’ve thought of is holding a true wave defense round in security. Revs is close but usually results in hunting down one headrev, nukies, blobs, and flock are the opposite as sec has to attack rather than defend, zombies is very close but usually doesn’t go well and is extremely rare, and disaster rounds are also very close but are also extremely rare. Defending against waves of either crew or antagonists is very appealing for me but doesn’t really happen much.

My third and final gimmick idea is to have sec steal the hats and/or shoes of criminals. While a criminal might continue their behavior after a short brig time, the humiliation of losing their shoes will definitely discourage them from trying to attempt crime once more. Along with the fact that people generally hate being brigged while a more creative punishment makes them more likely to not be as angry with sec afterwards.

Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will):
None because I read the rules.
As I very rarely play Classic, I can't provide any insight on your activities ingame, however based on the merits of your application alone you appear to have a good grasp of what is important to be able to lead the Security department and wear the coveted beret.

While it might not happen this time around due to a lack of feedback, I'd encourage you to try again. Sometimes all it takes is having good, memorable moments with the crew in order to have some folks toss their hat in to support your application.

Would love to hear some of what folks say about how you conduct yourself during rounds, but wishing you luck now/in the future!

P.S. - I like the gimmicks!
I've played a couple rounds now as head of Security and been able to observe Franz as sec. They do a good job, open to gimmicks, and know how to play security without being too meta. For sure good enough for the role.
franz has been a good secoff all around and is fair and square to antags, he also leaves players do their gimmicks and is nice and polite to them so overall i think franz has the potential to be a hos +1
+1 good sec officer, communicative, and knowledgeable about the game. will be a good addition to the team!!
After review of community feedback and internal deliberation, we have accepted your application to become a HoS. Congrats! Please familiarize yourself with our HoS Guidelines and reach out anytime if you have any concerns or questions.