Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Character option to toggle getting guide items on round start
Here's a really simple idea. For every character you make, add an option that toggles whether or not the character will receive an informational guide on their person when they spawn into a job that starts with a guide. If toggled to yes (which is what it will be by default) the character will spawn with the job-specific guide as usual, and if toggled to no they will not spawn with the guide item. Not all departments come with these guides, but examples I can point to include the Rancher, Botany, and Cargo Pocket guides, which will spawn in your jumpsuit pockets on round start, and which very often end up being thrown on the floor or the garbage soon after you spawn to make way for other stuff.

Why is this needed? It's not, really. But given how many discarded books and pamphlets I see lying on the floor 10 minutes into the round, I think it's safe to say that most people would prefer to opt-out of getting these items. For experienced players, it's just another bit of inventory management that need not be there. Making the option default to "yes" means that new players will probably still receive these guides when they first join in, such that they can still serve their purpose of helping newbies.
"But we have the wiki..."

Yea but it feels like better game design to have in game guides for everything.

As for the opting out. That makes sense too. If you don't need guides and tutorials... turn em off. All these books and pamphlets do is get in the way of your inventory.
As someone who takes Pawn Star on all my characters since I don't want the extra baggage, I'm 100% down for this. Either as a toggle, or as another trait like "Guider to Garbage" or "Photographic Memory"