Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Make the morgue and Chaplain more useful by changing the bio matter reclaimer.
What if there is no chaplain or just nobody to care ? Piles of corpses and miasma. No thanks. And as always it woud fall over medbay's shoes. So double no.

Having doctors harvest organs by hand, beyond providing some training for surgery, would be extremely annoying on the long run, especially for an understaffed medbay.
Having the reclaimer suck organs and spit husk would just be strictly worse than the current system, with bodies pilling up in medbay or in the crematorium. Or more likely just laying randomly between the two.
Maybe my opinion would be different if stations where build for corpse disposal trough the chapel in mind, but they very much aren't. Medbay and chapel are usualy on complete opposite sides of stations.
It's definitely a good idea to give the chaplain more to do, but another thing to keep in mind is what happens when they're needed for an antag? Ghost or vampire is annihilating people left and right, you need cloning but you also need the threat taken care of. Obviously sec has the tools to take care of things too, but if the chaplain has to choose between a cool wizard beatdown or babying medbay I think I'd prefer not forcing this interaction.

Something the chaplain can do while waiting to see if they're needed, but isn't their main priority if they can't get to it would be perfect.
(03-23-2023, 04:02 PM)Decarcassor Wrote: What if there is no chaplain or just nobody to care ? Piles of corpses and miasma. No thanks. And as always it woud fall over medbay's shoes. So double no.

Having doctors harvest organs by hand, beyond providing some training for surgery, would be extremely annoying on the long run, especially for an understaffed medbay.
Having the reclaimer suck organs and spit husk would just be strictly worse than the current system, with bodies pilling up in medbay or in the crematorium. Or more likely just laying randomly between the two.
Maybe my opinion would be different if stations where build for corpse disposal trough the chapel in mind, but they very much aren't. Medbay and chapel are usualy on complete opposite sides of stations.

I do agree this sentiment more. Do not "Spit out empty bodies" 
Insted add a risk for not doing surgery.. as stated earlier.. if you don't put the organs in 1 by 1 you will take LONGER , GET LESS and "MAY" Jam up the reclaimer.
(03-23-2023, 04:02 PM)Decarcassor Wrote: What if there is no chaplain or just nobody to care ? Piles of corpses and miasma. No thanks. And as always it woud fall over medbay's shoes. So double no.

There's already a disposal chute in the morgue that send corpses directly to the chapel. And you could just store bodies at the morgue permanently if there's no chaplain, I dont think the morgue freezers have a limit on how many bodies you can put in.
cloning cheapens the aspect/need of performing autopsies when you have either:

"oh so and so killed me"

or

"gee i dunno i kinda remember somebody doing something to me but its all really fuzzy"

i would love to see more procedure like this either to give doctors or the detective performing crime scene investigation
As someone who enjoys playing MD as a management role to clean up the Medbay and manage the Morgue, I would really like this implemented, sounds really neat, and frankly I'm open to any kind of nerf to cloning cause I never really liked how easily doctors take it for granted.
even if you made it so the reclaimer only accepts player organs it'd hardly be a nerf since (esoteric mechanic alert) you can just pour blood/synthflesh into the cloning pod to circumvent the reclaimer entirely

no one knows this though because the reclaimer is so good at biomass generation that the mechanic is almost never needed, only in the very specific circumstance of "cloner got bombed but only reclaimer is gone"

reclaimer is too convenient and medbay ought to have a proper operating procedure with regards to corpses to maybe drill corpse cleanup into peoples heads so med can stop being filled with miasma constantly
I will repeat this sentiment.. DO NOT MAKE IT MORE DIFFICULT TO DO CLONING.

Bodies already pile up and doctors are already having trouble doing thier jobs...

I am fine with putting in bodies gives LESS BIOMASS, but for the love of Kot... do not make cloning be a jump through hoops thing.
If doctors cannot be lazy, no one wants to roll it despite it being a CRITICAL JOB to do.

The reason I am fine with Mech Comp and Science being complex is because they can make a station work without them being around...
But Medbay is a CRITICAL department that keeps all other departments flowing.
This is why I have the saying.. every NERF to medbay, is a NERF to all players.
Blood in the vat, gamers. You get more biomatter from one 250u bag than a whole human being.
(03-28-2023, 07:36 AM)DisturbHerb Wrote: Blood in the vat, gamers. You get more biomatter from one 250u bag than a whole human being.

Does changeling blood work? Botanists can already single-handedly supply the reclaimer via synthmeat plants, but if changeling blood acts as an adequate substitute for regular blood, then they'd be able to single-handedly supply the reclaimer via synthmeat plants and blood oranges.
(03-28-2023, 07:36 AM)DisturbHerb Wrote: Blood in the vat, gamers. You get more biomatter from one 250u bag than a whole human being.

That's a cool alternative.
But... we shouldn't try to standardize "alternative methodes" cause that will put pressure on other departments to give that much.
It's how chemistry in science had to deal with making stypic powder every shift.