Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Replace pathology with...
A Nanomachine lab. Pathology has been gone F O R E V E R and it has not been given a successor, so I propose that nanomachines (not the turning-into-borg kind) can be synthesized for a variety of HELPFUL effects that don't transfer from person to person. Effects could range from minor healing when injured, to being able to reattach/detach your own limbs, to hardening your fresh arm stub so that it can be used as a blade. The process to making them could go like this: several different shapes of one nanomachine (square, circle, cross, etc) are in the nano-lab. They can be fused together and then put in a charger, which you can change the amount of voltage as well as time to charge. Depending on all of this you could get a useless piece of metal or something that will help someone. Once you have the nanomachine piece with the desired effect you put it in the mass production machine and it multiplies that and loads it into a syringe. You then inject yourself/someone else/heisenbee and BOOM WAM NANOMACHINE MAN.

The point of this is to get something in pathology's place that isn't shit, won't ruin rounds with lethal and annoying rng viruses, but help benefit people in a minor way while providing some fun experimentation. It seems like a thing for both medbay and RnD but it's similar to pathology and that's empty, so that's where I'd stick it.

Complimentary video

yes it sounds like diseases/genetics but it's not I swear
While I do support the idea of augmentations and nanobots, the new pathology system will cover most of this when it is implemented. Maybe we could combine this and the new system? Use pathology to find the positive traits of a virus and, use nanomachines as a safe but expressive way to give the crew certain traits?
I kinda like the idea, with some caveats.

Nanomachine implants are subject to not being EMP proof. A smart traitor will figure that if the station's first response is to give everybody robot superpowers, EMP gernades are now incredibly useful as a way to make nerds mad.

Tasers/electric shock also futz with nanobots because they are not electricity proof, effects can range from turning the little things off, to making them go unexpectedly haywire. Metal blades arm man has now become metal statue man. Guy who can make fireballs for elaborate cigerette smoking demonstrations has now become incredibly on fire. Electric shock man has now exploded because ark flash I guess. Basically tasers should have a risk of being much much more deadly for someone powered by tiny robots.
Yes.

Inject yourself and a partner with connected nanomachines. Now you can talk on a secure channel, and see through each others eyes.

Inject yourself and your weapon with connected nanomachines. Now you have an ID locked gun. ID tagged soldiers carry ID tagged weapons, use ID tagged gear.

Give other people your ID locked guns and link your nanomachines to eachother. Now you can SHOOT THE GUNS THEY'RE HOLDING.

[Image: K2nrMsa.gif]