Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Add a way to be saved from the portapuke
Goon's design philosophy has moved away from this sort of instant guaranteed kill with borgers and the crusher so I don't feel like it still has a purpose here.
The Port-A-Puke's main draw is that people can be quickly stuffed into it, similar to the clown car. You can technically survive being put in, since in my experience you get a ejected when you're in deep crit, but given the amount of chaos going on you probably won't.

Giving the port-a-puke some way for bystanders to eject people, a la the clown car, might spur others into action, since I think the concern for many is "if I try to fight the person with a port-a-puke, I'll just end up in there myself and take a guaranteed L," and knowing that you can be let out might reduce the hesitation associated with fighting someone using one.
(03-21-2023, 03:29 AM)Mouse Wrote: Goon's design philosophy has moved away from this sort of instant guaranteed kill with borgers and the crusher so I don't feel like it still has a purpose here.

That applies to non-traitor gear, mostly. Traitor gear is very much capable of unpreventable death sentence (port-a-puke, poison bottles, maneater, red chainsaw, trash compactor, syndicate cargo teleporter, syndicate hotdog cart, conversation chamber). Other antags got this as well (changeling whole gameplay loop, archfiends heartstopping ability).

And all of these have counterplay when having multiple people nearby. Solo you are most likely dead and it's intended to be like that.

The counterplay is simple: split up the trator from the port-a-puke. Dragging stuff is extremly vulnerable to getting broken. Besides, magboots exist.
I agree with Lord_earthfire here.
The Port-A-Puke can be split from the traitor.

There is a whole debate on traitors being underpowered when confronting sec and stun meta's.
So basicly the port-a-puke is a good item as it disables 1 person and spits em out in crit and another person has to be on standby to save them.
(03-21-2023, 04:34 AM)Lord_earthfire Wrote: That applies to non-traitor gear, mostly. Traitor gear is very much capable of unpreventable death sentence (port-a-puke, poison bottles, maneater, red chainsaw, trash compactor, syndicate cargo teleporter, syndicate hotdog cart, conversation chamber). 

except you're wrong for all of those in bold, they are very preventable/interruptible, and i think you're missing the point Mouse was making.

I agree with the idea though - the three I that aren't bold are still super quick, and excessively so if you just stun baton the victims.

They're also unwrenchable if i recall, so they're pretty easy to steal. I'm not sure if they're in use enough to justify a nerf, but perhaps a short window of opportunity to interrupt those just batoning and throwing people into compactors is sane (if not already implemented).

As for the port-a-puke itself, I think ejecting people in less-crit but still crit would be better rather than impacting its' ease of use. It's designed to make a horrible mess so having to hide it is a bit counterintuitive.
I think it hardly matters if the guaranteed kill on stunned targets requires 3-4 seconds (like with a red chainsaw or a kuru pill) or, an agressive grab (like with the port-a-puke), the 1.5 second drag click on the compactor or 1-2 seconds with a BP-pipebomb.

Especially with stun batons, since they stun in the area of 5+ seconds and can be significantly prolonged by multiple applications.

Of course with the other items, they can be interrupted by other people. But the porta and the carts are rampage-tier tc-cost items that are very weak on their own. So i would rather look on what enables them.
you should be able to rescue someone from it
by putting someone else in in their place
You can stick an infinite number of people in the portapuke now.