Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Encourage nuke-op communication on the Caringorn
I assume everyone's experienced or heard of the operatives who rush out a few minutes in at the dismay of their team and arm the nuke. It's no fun when the team antag has people who don't communicate, rush in, and fail once no one agrees on what to do!
In my opinion/experience, the most frequent cause of "flukies" is when none of the operatives discuss the plan effectively, some team members miss out on the details (maybe they're wrestling Oppenheimer in another room for the rocket launcher), and then everything falls into chaos the minute they leave the podbay.

My idea is to make sure that the operatives can communicate with each other on the Caringorn, regardless of where they are. This would be (somewhat) easy to implement, and then operatives could get geared up while discussing their point of entry and such. I do have a couple of ideas on how to do this:
- Allow the commander to lock all the operatives in a room so that they pay attention, or plan and then give some form of briefing after everyone is geared up.
- Lock the ops in for a minute or two roundstart so they have to talk. The commander can remove the lock if everyone is ready, or maybe only the commander can do it. (No auto-unlock may create an issue where the commander is SSD, crashed, doesn't know how, etc..)
- My favorite and simplest idea: Turn on microphones on the operatives, or add intercoms to the Caringorn. 
(Perhaps add floating text over the intercoms so they cannot miss it.)

The three of those ideas revolve around one concept: Making sure that the operatives, for some length of time, are going to communicate with each other to decide their strategy before they carry it out. What do you all think could help operatives communicate best with each other?
An idea I've always had that wouldnt just encourage comms but being good people is a commendation style system, At roundend or something if you were a nukeop you'd be able to show that some nuke ops did lets say a great job and others didnt. If someone is labelled annoying/bad enough the admins can review their behavior as a nukeop and potential antagban them for a time period. Bit nuclear but I like commendation systems in games
One of the biggest problems in my experience is impatient people leaving before anyone else, or more commonly, rushing others and making everyone leave without a real plan in place. Maybe the pods can't make portals before the hangar is opened, and only the commander has access? Infiltrators could still use the teleporter to the listening post or ask the commander to open the door if needed.

Strongly agree with intercoms too, sometimes getting your fellow operatives to actually look at the radio chat is a big hurdle but it would help a lot.
No one wants to be forced to sit through a work meeting.
(03-16-2023, 08:06 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: No one wants to be forced to sit through a work meeting.

Yea, that's probably my least favorite of the ideas, but it's one I heard thrown out there while discussing in spacestation chat so I thought I may throw it into the post and see what people think of it. Still feels like it would work, since yeah nobody has to sit down with their team, some don't want to, but they gotta at least be settled on where to go, so.
If the goal is to increase the cooperation/coordination of the team, then I'm not sure this would have much of an effect other than to frustrate or bore people. Some people might engage in it, but I don't think it would have much effect on players who don't care about the planning much.

I think a better option would be to make the Nukeops chat more visible/isolated from other chat. Maybe it could be like a small maptext chat window at the top right of the screen. Or adding a sort of real-time map to some object that highlights the nuke and the operatives so you can always know where they are/if they are alive.
(03-17-2023, 10:14 AM)kyle2143 Wrote: If the goal is to increase the cooperation/coordination of the team, then I'm not sure this would have much of an effect other than to frustrate or bore people. Some people might engage in it, but I don't think it would have much effect on players who don't care about the planning much.

I think a better option would be to make the Nukeops chat more visible/isolated from other chat. Maybe it could be like a small maptext chat window at the top right of the screen. Or adding a sort of real-time map to some object that highlights the nuke and the operatives so you can always know where they are/if they are alive.

Yes, I would much rather see nuke-ops discussing whenever on the caringorn than locked in a room to 'figure it out'. Part of the intercoms idea is to make nukeops discussion visible in more places. I like the idea of maptext for the ops, but what about something to make op chat easier to read in the chatbox? Radio messages themselves can get hard to read when there are a lot of miscellaneous chat messages that take up much of the chatbox real estate.
(03-17-2023, 10:14 AM)kyle2143 Wrote: If the goal is to increase the cooperation/coordination of the team, then I'm not sure this would have much of an effect other than to frustrate or bore people. Some people might engage in it, but I don't think it would have much effect on players who don't care about the planning much.

Yee. That's something more than Nukeops could benefit from, maybe as a function of PDA's to create those chatbox windows, from either DM's or Group Chats.
I think a easy(?) fix would to have to door out closed off by metal shutters, and the button to open them just simply be next to the commander.

Might be a bit of work (or might not be idk), but maybe the nukie radio/intercom would be clearly highlighted similar to machinetalk. With syndicate colors of course.