Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1.8 Average
[PR] Mindhack rebalance
Mindhacking ideas while on the subject

Being able to resist out of mindhacks, like you would handcuffs

Like the character is summoning the willpower to resist the thought control

I imagine it like, you can activate it on a cooldown, and when you try it locks up your movement as you will yourself not to follow orders.

Maybe that's all it does, just lock you up for a bit, or maybe it could have a chance of actually breaking the hack.

Different odds and other balances to make the two types appropriate to their cost, some built in mental conditioning from Sec, maybe even have higher or lower resistances against being hacked if you wear a tinfoil hat or are inebriated
...this has potential. Security is often taken so tehy can finish a quick setup and attack, since the officer going missing will get noticed after a bit.

It would make mindhacking sec harder since they'd need to keep themselves near their hackee. maybe make it so you can't resist if you can see your mindhacker?

this would also reduce the(rp primarily) issue of people making people minions then telling them to 'go back to work and act like nothing is happening" which always feels like a let down, since, if done the otherway, it could make it so someone could resist out and cause some drama.

As someone who has several times been mindhacked then be told, basically 'okay you're robust so you be the antag now' I'd like this alot. I mean mindhacking is fine but you gotta learn to fly with your own two feet too sometime and just popping a sec off with an implaner thrusting a gun into their hand and running off is kinda..lower effort then what it COULD be.
I don't like the thought of mindhack resist. People should play like they are obedient to the mindhacker. When you give them an incentive to actively avoid the mindhacker or not do your assigned task and instead try to actively end your mindhack status prematurely, which goes against your status as mindhacker.... it gets confusing and borderline- to downright rulebreaking.

That would be a headache for players and admins alike.
Dumb ideas for mind hacking changes... (Questionable quality):

1: The mind hacker gets a special headset.
Then by wearing it, they can hear whatever the mind hacked hears. (Free spying)

2: The mind hacker gets a VR-Glasses (Deluxe only)
and can take full control of the mind hacked as well when they need to.

3: If the mind hacked utters the words Mind and Hack in anyway in a setence...
The chip blows up their brain, killing them instantly.

4: The mind hack implant can be emagged.
Wich means they will not be mindhacked..
but will get random other settings like:
-Be a bigger clown then the clown (And will force the player to honk sometimes)
-Stay drunk till your liver dies. (You will be in a permanent drunken state, regardless of alcohol level)
-You must smoke... ITS IN YOUR BLOOD! (Permanent addiction that can only be lessend by taking it)
-You must cool off (Heat goes up non the less of whats happening till you catch fire, then it cycles back to normal to hot)
-You must heat up (Same as cool off but now you are freezing till you are cubed)
- You must sleep! (Narcolepsia symptons till you sleep for 10 seconds, then it resets to 1st state to repeat cycle)

And with that... I said enough.
A traitor item made specifically for countering a single thing that security has does feel a bit odd, when most traitor items have a "general" use case.

Doesn't resolve the issue of mindhacking the whole security team but maybe another alternative could be making the mindhack duration reduced for those with security training, which could lessen the impact? Not sure if that would encourage killing sprees for mindhacked security officers more than it does already though.
(03-17-2023, 07:07 PM)FlameArrow57 Wrote: A traitor item made specifically for countering a single thing that security has does feel a bit odd, when most traitor items have a "general" use case.
I agree it's a bit specific (technically does have other uses like ridding yourself of tracking implants, but that's pretty niche), but I think there needs to be some kind of weakness if we want to give security mindhack protection and since mindhacks are only available to traitors/spiefs, it being a traitor item neatly fulfils that.
Some alternative ideas for implant weaknesses:
  • Damage threshold, they stop working below a certain HP. Ikea suggested this, but I think it's a little too arbitrary and would make it very hard to tell if your mindhack will work or not.
  • EMPs disable them for a short time. EMP grenades are an existing traitor item that already mess with security a lot, plus pulse rifles and genetics abilities. Suffers a bit from the above problems with damage thresholds, but arguably less since it's pretty easy to be certain that you've hit a security officer with an EMP.
(03-17-2023, 08:01 PM)LeahTheTech Wrote:
(03-17-2023, 07:07 PM)FlameArrow57 Wrote: A traitor item made specifically for countering a single thing that security has does feel a bit odd, when most traitor items have a "general" use case.
I

but arguably less since it's pretty easy to be certain that you've hit a security officer with an EMP.

I mean, if their unassuming or heavily distracted with other targets, plus about 40% of the player base knows how to swap the mode to EMP. 
and the EMP grenades at this point only get used by spys IF they really have nothing to do.
(03-17-2023, 07:07 PM)FlameArrow57 Wrote: Doesn't resolve the issue of mindhacking the whole security team

Well , if its a hard earned reward, is it really an issue? I think if you manage to ambush multiple sec officers and hack a 5 seconds action bar into them, you kinda earned it. Besides, the implant remover cost 2 tc, reducing the amount of mindhacks you can buy by 1.
(03-17-2023, 11:53 PM)Lord_earthfire Wrote:
(03-17-2023, 07:07 PM)FlameArrow57 Wrote: Doesn't resolve the issue of mindhacking the whole security team

Well , if its a hard earned reward, is it really an issue? I think if you manage to ambush multiple sec officers and hack a 5 seconds action bar into them, you kinda earned it. Besides, the implant remover cost 2 tc, reducing the amount of mindhacks you can buy by 1.

Basicly this... you took planning to do this. This ain't a run and stab. This litterly having to disable a player, remove implant, then put a new one in.

And in that time... the security officer can easily shout through the coms: "I AM BEING MINDHACKED" 
Alerting everyone of the situation!
(03-17-2023, 11:53 PM)Lord_earthfire Wrote:

I was referring to the decreased duration idea