Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Job has the hardest difficulty?
A weird topic to start, but I always see some jobs being harder then others.
Some have more complex mechanics.
Others you have to be more robust.
Some involve more waiting and timing.
And some... are that one flavor of the day job that litterly does nothing but open doors.

Now I am not here to say what I think is the hardest but what people think is the difficulty for each job.
And i know if you roll something like a scientist... you got like 5 different departments to work on....

So additional rules....
If a job has multiplue sub departments... we will go with that sub-department.

And to help start this long line of discussion.. let's put up what I think are "The easiest job" and "The hardest job" (i know I said not to discuss whats the hardest, but this is more like how I rate it.)

Job: Janitor.
Overall Difficulty: 1/5
Complexity: 1/5
Inventory management: 4/5
Mechanics: 1/5
Explaintiion: Janitors are to me an easy job as they only have to clean rooms and most of the time.. they got amazing tools to make it easier and easier. Heck if you don't want to move just use the buff-o-matic to clean up any gunk. Mops are a godsent in flooded stations as their fibers are made of "black-holium"
However when it comes to clean every stain, dirt, garbage pick up, moving bodies and replacing lightbulbs... your inventory will always be lacking.
And how many times will someone push away your mop bucket on accident is just infuriating... this is pretty much your biggest difficulty as the job. But atleast you get to see the station!

Job: Scientist-Telesci.
Overall Difficutly: 5/5
Complexity: 3/5
Inventory Management: 3/5
Mechanics: 5/5
Explainition: Ah yes good ole telesci. Defintally a hard job due to how it works. Calibrating and learning alone takes time and A LOT OF POWER! So if engineering didn't waste time on the engine.. you might find yourself unable to continune.
So why is this one so hard? Adventure packs my friend. Your tools are limited and going to something like the lava moon could mean death if you even take one misstep. And we aren't talking "Deaths" where you leave a body.. that is.. if someone picks up your body... some deaths remove your body completely. So even if you have a record... you pretty lost all your tools... it is a BRUTAL JOB! And every shift you gotta recalibrate the teleporter.
Now imagine having to use it to get security in a certain location where the antagonists hide...without the antags noticing it... stress is high and so much can go wrong.
Like putting in the wrong coordinate and unleashing hell upon your station...
It would be useful to include Responsibility. Nobody is going to complain if you take your time as a botanist, same cannot be said for AI or security

I'll add it to the previous ones
Job: Janitor
Responsibility: 2/5
Explanation: If you don't do your job medbay is going to replace you with robots, thats about it.

Job: Scientist-Telesci
Responsibility: 1/5
Explanation: Telesci is generally quite isolated and no one else relies on it

And a few what i think

Job: Roboticist
Overall Difficutly: 4/5
Inventory Management: 3/5
Mechanics: 4/5
Responsibility: 4/5
Explanation: Borgs rely on you for upgrading them, changing modules and repairing lost limbs, AI might ask for borg shells and the occational staff assistant asking for all cyber organs and chainsaw hands. Servicing borgs and the AI is quite simple, but you do have to know quite a lot of surgery. Unless you are very experienced will require having the wiki open at all times.

Job: Cyborg-med
Overall Difficutly: 3/5
Inventory Management: 2/5
Mechanics: 2/5
Responsibility: 3/5
Explanation: Pretty much just an easier medical doctor but like with all silicon you do have to understand how laws interact. If you don't get how some law works you can always ask the other silicon. The needed medical knowledge is just what your 5 chems do, but you can get pretty far by just injecting them randomly. You can do most surgeries but it is generally not expected of you. You do occasionally have to juggle 5 tools (cyber hypospray, brute/burn mender, health analyzer, defib) but having 3 hand slots makes it manageable.

Job: AI
Overall Difficutly: 5/5
Complexity: 4/5
Inventory Management: N/A
Mechanics: 3/5
Responsibility: 5/5
Explanation: Depends a lot on the round. Some rounds you only have to open a few doors and tell a staff assistant that law 2 does not mean that you have to do everything they say while on some rev and nukie rounds you will have to let humans into places, be careful to only shock, retract and lethal non-humans, broadcast head(rev) locations while changing your alliment every 3 minutes. Add the optional telesniping to that. The difficulty mostly comes from paying attentions to many things at once.
i am going to ignore most of the thread to say that imo ai is the single hardest job, for a handful of reasons

1. you can hear every radio channel, which can often be overwhelming
2. people refer to you as "ai", which is both extremely common in words and nigh-impossible to chat-highlight effectively*
3. your laws can be changed rapidly, arbitrarily, and confusingly
4. you have to juggle multiple bodies; not only the eyebot shells but also whatever shells get made
5. unlike other people that have a "travel time" to incidents, your ai eye moves instantly, so you do not have any free moments to think while you move between departments
6. when you inevitably get murdered the response is just going to be "oh the ai must be busy/gone" while your core is a smoking crater

there are hard jobs, but none are quite as hard.

(* \bai\b)
(03-17-2023, 01:21 PM)Zamujasa Wrote: i am going to ignore most of the thread to say that imo ai is the single hardest job, for a handful of reasons

1. you can hear every radio channel, which can often be overwhelming
2. people refer to you as "ai", which is both extremely common in words and nigh-impossible to chat-highlight effectively*
3. your laws can be changed rapidly, arbitrarily, and confusingly
4. you have to juggle multiple bodies; not only the eyebot shells but also whatever shells get made
5. unlike other people that have a "travel time" to incidents, your ai eye moves instantly, so you do not have any free moments to think while you move between departments
6. when you inevitably get murdered the response is just going to be "oh the ai must be busy/gone" while your core is a smoking crater

there are hard jobs, but none are quite as hard.

(* \bai\b)

Take it for a Dev to tell us the hardest thing in the game :P To be fair this does help...