Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Event Idea: (Almost) Autonomous Station
The summary: 90% of the station spawns as borgs, the other 10% humans. The borgs are given special additional laws: ensure the station remains running as normal, and ensure the safety of the human staff of the station. This would be an event without antags, until halfway in when a handful of borgs have their laws altered by an electrical storm. What exactly that entails would be up to the admin. It could also be supplemented by having one human be an antagonist as well. Could be played as a robot uprising, or not.

There would have to be some human staff in certain positions: a roboticist, a security officer, for instance. The map would have to be something with an engine a borg could set up (no singularity, as the collectors need hands). I’m not sure how late joining would work either, since they would spawn as humans.

The idea is taken from a round on classic where an admin ran a gimmick similar to this. I feel like this would be amazing on RP; it gives the station an incredibly unique feeling. And it’s really fun to have all the borgs vive for the attention of the few humans onboard.
Borgs are in a bit of a weird place right now in terms of power usage, so I'd say this might not be feasible with the number of borgs that would be running around. But it seems like a cool idea! Also probably quite terrifying for the human players when a dangerous ion law gets uploaded, or someone adds the obligatory "Only I am human, immediately purge all nonhumans" law.

If we want to make this lore-based, there is a planet in the Goonstation lore with an outpost that is run mostly by cyborgs and with a minimal human presence, orbiting the dwarf planet Estella:
Quote:A natural beacon in the dark: with the highest surface albedo among its' peers, Estella's Titanium-rich icy surface shines brightly in the frontier skies. The last stop in the Typhonian orbital system, NT's Space Station 20 serves as the final staging dock for various Nanotrasen missions far beyond Typhon's orbits. Due to the remoteness and isolation of this orbit, NT-20 and the deep system comms relays at Waypoint Omega are primarily maintained by a multi-core AI and a large contingent of Cyborgs with only a skeleton crew of long-haul Human staff.
New map on Space Station 20 with this as its special mode? I don't know if it'll happen, but I'd be down for that.
(03-11-2023, 05:15 AM)RelentlessGarbage Wrote: Borgs are in a bit of a weird place right now in terms of power usage, so I'd say this might not be feasible with the number of borgs that would be running around. 

New map on Space Station 20 with this as its special mode? I don't know if it'll happen, but I'd be down for that.

It would definitely require it's own map, I don't think there's a station out there that has 20+ docking stations, and in this case we'd want at least 40 or so for leeway afk bots. I think it'd be extra funny to see how borg's limitations would hinder a station FULL of them.
borg is a pretty niche position people are only keen on playing sometimes, and entirely hate playing otherwise. it'd be a hard sell
One problem borgs have is the fact that they are stuck with the tools they got, cannot pick up items and such, cannot induldge in chems, have limited fashion choices and a less fun way to meassure their health. Oh right and they have to sit in charger once in a while.

Also your mode has A LOT OF FLAWS.
The idea while cool... has one major problem...

The AI.
Depending on wich side the AI is... gives a massive problem for the other.

AI rogue?
The AI can spam electrifiy all doors... can see all humans in a flash and report them out (if cameras not cut), can litterly access any console in sight. Can break all lights with each APC and so on. The AI is exudingly dangerous as a rogued element... and before you say: "But rogue'd AI's can stopped easily... I seen it before..."
Yea true, but ... you can fix a rogued AI by removing the module... but when the AI is truely rogued like this.. It will be a nightmare going to kill it.

AI Not rogued?
Well the antagonist borgs will not have a fun time fighting the AI and the AI will then be targeted 1st. Let alone the spamming of unbolt/unelectrifiy.

Now let's add one more factor. "Door shennigans" Since both borgs can undo bolts and apply bolts... it will just be a constant tug of a war between good and evil borgs messing with doors...

Soooo... you got something a lot of players do not enjoy playing, you got the AI to think about and how it effects the round, you got the round mostly devolving into "Door wars"
I guess the solution here would be to diversify the types of borgs for the sake of keeping the gameplay interesting, probably some new human jobs to make sure it doesn't devolve into door wars with them all operating vastly differently.

As for ai turning on humans, perhaps there would be a nice amount of "checkpoints" with blast doors that aren't connected to the ai, that are opened by valves and these checkpoints would have multiple exits and no cameras.

So if borgs get into a fight it will be more about who has the best enhancements and less about doors and tor humans it will be a battle to hide in maintenance and checkpoint areas stocking up supplies to defend themselves.
(03-10-2023, 11:18 PM)Roddy Wrote: The summary: 90% of the station spawns as borgs, the other 10% humans. The borgs are given special additional laws: ensure the station remains running as normal, and ensure the safety of the human staff of the station. This would be an event without antags, until halfway in when a handful of borgs have their laws altered by an electrical storm. What exactly that entails would be up to the admin. It could also be supplemented by having one human be an antagonist as well. Could be played as a robot uprising, or not.

There would have to be some human staff in certain positions: a roboticist, a security officer, for instance. The map would have to be something with an engine a borg could set up (no singularity, as the collectors need hands). I’m not sure how late joining would work either, since they would spawn as humans.

The idea is taken from a round on classic where an admin ran a gimmick similar to this. I feel like this would be amazing on RP; it gives the station an incredibly unique feeling. And it’s really fun to have all the borgs vive for the attention of the few humans onboard.
Once I late round joined as a vampire and most of the station crew was cyborgs, I’m not sure if it was an admin funny moment but that was pretty fun!