Hos App, (Joe Johnson) might as well give it a shot
Usual character name:Joe Johnson  
BYOND username: BonkeyBong
Discord username (if you are on our discord): Not on the discord at the moment.
Recommended by (if applicable): N/A
Goon servers you play: Goonstation 1

Sleeping bee Reason for application:
Gonna be honest I never thought I'd send one of these in. I figured it would take like 5 years for me to be good enough for HoS. Recently though I've found myself asking a lot less questions and giving other people a lot more answers. I figure I could spend another 2 years trying to constantly up my game and memorize every wiki page, or I could go with my gut and trust that I have the experience and the skill to be a good Head of Security. I feel like I've got a good handle on being a security officer and have the hours to back it up. On top of just understanding the server rules and the law of the land on the station, I also feel like I understand the culture of security and the station as a whole (I.E. not all antags need to be spaced and not all crimer need to be brigged).
     As for why I want this job in particular, it gives you a lot more freedom to help the station and make peoples rounds more enjoyable. No more waiting for the captain to open the AI upload so you can check if the clown just told it to murder everyone. You also get much more authority to make sure that not only the crew is safe, but also that antags are getting appropriate and fair punishments and security officers aren't abusing their power. I also tend to play late at night when no HoS's are usually online. This is a big problem when nuke ops blow into the chapel and there isn't enough security to authorize the armory. OR and arcfiend is looting the armory and we can't open it without hacking in or perma authorizing it.
     On top of all that, the role is just cool and looks like a lot of fun. I had a big grin on my face reading all the goofy stuff the HoS has access to on the wiki page. Like a gun that shoots clowns shoes off, or boots that make your steps really loud so antags hear you in maints and tremble in fear, or of course the cool hat and cape. All of this is stuff that (while not very important) have the potential to make rounds way more fun (or terrifying if you're the clown).

a greater domestic space-bee that's gunna cause some trouble Security experience (300 word minimum):
     At this point it feels like half of my rounds are on security (or mining for some reason, the game REALLY likes giving me mining). I keep security officer on priority 24/7 and if it's available for late join, chances are I'm gonna pick it. It's a really fun role for a number of reasons but the main one for me is that it gets you into the RP. Look clocking a traitor with a baton is fun, but not as fun as talking with the bartender over a drink and all of a sudden the chef stings you with neurotoxin and the bartender has to save you while you're unconscious. That kind of interaction is only obtainable with talking, not taser bolts. And this ties into one of the most important parts of being a security officer. Using your words and not your baton. A little RP goes a long way, it not only makes your round more interesting but also the antagonists. A chance for an antag to run for their lives is much cooler then instantly stunning them on sight and having them leave the computer to get a hot pocket while you take 5 minutes to borg them. This is why when I hear a sec offsay "this isn't an RP server" while arresting someone, I puke a little, because they are missing out on what I think is the best part of security.
      Speaking of antagonists that leads me into my second important thing about being an officer. Keep the round flowing.I think Apple mentioned in their app that it's a balance of "order and chaos" and they really hit the nail on the head. If you kill off every antag no one will be left to cause mayhem and then the round becomes boring. Now of course this doesn't mean you let the wizard murder a botanist just to "keep the antags alive" but if you catch a traitor in like 15 minutes, instead of taking their PDA or borging them, mark them as sus and give them their PDA back. Not only does it make their round much better, but also yours. Look, I have seen every antagonist in the book, from normal ones to rare admin ones. (besides macho man space bear one of these days though). But by far the scariest antag of all is boredom and being forced to aimlessly wander the halls looking for literally anything to do. Although this is where the RP thing I mentioned before comes into play.
     One more key part of being security is the ability to read the room and understand the stations culture.While grand theft might be 2:30 seconds in the brig on the wiki, how many people actually follow that rule when all the clown did was steal the hos'sjumpsuit. The most important thing you can learn as a security officer Is that most of the time the fun of the people you're playing with goes above what the wiki says the law should be. Just as important as knowing what is illegal is knowing what isn't, the same way knowing what is harmless fun is as important as knowing what is actual malice. If a staffie is running around with a flamethrower, don't just baton them and take it, while it's technically contraband, people carry those around all the time and confiscating it off of someone would definitely get some people saying "shitsec confirmed" over the radio.
     Of course I'm not perfect, and I often spend way too much time thinking about my interactions with people in game, especially if it was a negative one. But overall I try to keep myself happy and supportive to other players, and live by the code I just laid out.

Dr. Acula Answer two or more of the following:
  • What advice would you give to other sec players?
    A lot of this question I just answered in my sec experience part, but generally the most important thing you gotta remember is to prioritize fun over winning. And this goes for being an antag or staff assistant too, not just a security officer. When you're playing a round try to loosen up a little. Don't yell at people to piss off when they enter sec illegally, keeping your demeanor friendly is a good way to not only be remembered fondly but also ensure they won't throw a TTV at you while you're at the bar. Course I'm human too and I've gotten upset at people for validhunting me before. But generally interactions like those are the ones I look back at and frown because it was a missed opportunity to have a fond memory of that round. Although those scenario's do offer important lessons for later rounds on how to get better and become cooler to be next to. There's a lesson to be learned in every interaction. Try to use failures as a way to learn what's right and you'll have a much better experience overall even if you got killed doing it. One extra tip, if you are arresting someone try to get them through as fast as you can, once you have their illegal stuff start the timer. Most of the time if an antag gets caught they just want to serve their time and leave. Don't make them wait 2 minutes while you explain why they are in jail or talk with another officer.
  • What was one of your favorite security moments? (Either playing as a sec officer or interacting with one)
    I was a security officer not too long ago in a lings round. Despite it lasting a good while and us searching the station top to bottom, we never caught a single one. But to be honest, that round was infinitely more fun than numerous other rounds I've had where the lings get caught in 2 seconds (again tying back into letting the antags do their thing). The reason it was so fun was because we were all talking over the radio with each other about possible ling activity and shouting out who we knew was bad. We also searched around in space to try and find anything that told us who the lings were (all we found were drained corpses on the walls which was pretty spooky). We were also leading with words and not taser shots. When we caught a ling grinding corpses we told it to come with us willingly to medbay to be tested, which gave it an opportunity to slip away. Although we didn't catch it I had way more fun than if we had just batoned it on sight. Again, lead with your words and not your bullets. We even had a moment where one of the guys we had been after all round ran past me and the other security members, and we all stopped talking and awkwardly stared at them for a bit like a cartoon before running after them.
  • What game improvements or changes do you think would benefit security players?
    Not to repeat what others have said too much but the wanted system for the sec huds could really use a rework. I've seen people suggest having people's status change when they go through security chutes which would be really useful since literally no one uses them. While the change to the UI for the record tracker was nice, what I really think the wanted system needs is a change to what you can set people to in order to reflect current server culture. Most of the time if we want to keep an eye on someone we just set them to parole or released and it can be confusing who is actually a criminal and who is just a guy who got out of jail or is set to arrest for no reason. I think a better system would be to have levels of wanted, so 1 would be minor crimes or just got released, nothing major, 2 would be what you set antags and criminals to so you know to keep an eye on them, and 3 would function similar to arrest. This way there would be no confusion around the signs and who is actually bad as opposed to who is just a guy who got released. Of course this is just me spitballing ideas and it's up to the guys who actually do the coding to decide.
  • Describe any differences in your playstyle when part of a full security team and when being the only security officer.
    Having the manpower is great because it means you get to focus on stuff other then the antagonists sometimes. When I'm playing a full squad I like to try and interact with the other crew members more since we have the manpower to have some people off patrolling for antags while others do the smaller stuff like farting on the clown. When I'm alone, I usually have to ignore petty stuff to actually catch the bad guys which sucks, but I always try to talk over the radio much more with the few people with me. When all you have is the captain, one sec off, and the detective, communication matters even more than usual. You never want to leave one of your guys hanging and always want to respond to their needs and calls as best as you can.[[/b]

space bear Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):
  • Write a poem to convey your thoughts on security/NanoTrasen/space/bees/anything related to SS13.
Chasing clown in east maintenance.

I slip on puddle and lose baton.

Thrown out of airlock going 90.

-I think that's how haiku's work

• What's a security gimmick that you've ran or wanted to run?
    Change the entire security department's color to something else. Why stop at just wearing green? go to cargo and get a floor designer to make the entire department green. Imagine people's shock when they are arrested by a sec off looking like a leprechaun only to enter sec and find every inch of red has been replaced with green. Bonus points if you explain nothing to the crew and insist it's always been that way.
  • Draw a picture!
Not sure if this works
no clue how to paste an image so you get an imgur link.
  • Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will):
    Never been banned.

Ok the top half is in black for some reason so just highlight it with your curser I guess

yeah this was formatted weird in the post I guess I should have previewed it first, all the words are there tho and that's all that really matters
The black is hard to read... but who hasn't made that mistake before. Good security officer and as stated in their application they understand the culture. Solid Hos material + 1
If someone has the ability to change the text color I would really appreciate it since no one wants to read black text on a black background and that was a mistake on my part

(03-08-2023, 08:25 PM)Judobum Wrote: The black is hard to read... but who hasn't made that mistake before. Good security officer and as stated in their application they understand the culture. Solid Hos material + 1

thanks a lot smile and yeah I messed that text thing up first time posting on this forum
We appreciate the time and effort you put into this application, but have decided to deny it due to a lack of community response. You're welcome to reapply in 60 days, which would be 2023-07-04. In the meantime, I'd encourage you to keep sec officering!