Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should there be a third goonstation server?
It seems like the other servers get more traffic than they can handle, also the large amount of players prevents people from getting the jobs they want. Maybe the solution is in a third server?

If you're interested, post here.
I third server did exist for European players but now it's dead like everything else fun.
RIP Gibbed #5
Nah. The setup we have now is pretty good. Both severs usuassly don't get enough traffic to warrent a third one.
Who's gonna pay for that exactly
I can provide a free server if you're somehow interested in running g5 again. And I mean a real server in a serious IT club, not some bullshitty machine running in my backyard.
Traffic on 1 is quite high, whilst traffic on 2 is normally give or take.
Why not make 2 a european ip? It's win win
Splatpope Wrote:I can provide a free server if you're somehow interested in running g5 again. And I mean a real server in a serious IT club, not some bullshitty machine running in my backyard.

While that's sweet and all, I don't think admins would be comfortable with letting some dude with a free server have access to everything.
Klayboxx Wrote:While that's sweet and all, I don't think admins would be comfortable with letting some dude with a free server have access to everything.

Don't compiled DNB files allow you to host without actually having the source code?
epicdwarf Wrote:Nah. The setup we have now is pretty good. Both severs usuassly don't get enough traffic to warrent a third one.

Back in the old days, id say this is a good idea. However, recently traffic hasn't been high enough to warrant a third server.
I'd personally be more interested in one of a servers actually shutting down over the quietest hours of the night (The only times I can really play due to time zones ect.)

It can be annoying to see both server hovering around 14 players when they could be just having one decent game.

I'm not saying small games don't have their charms by the way but in generally some roles are pretty damn boring with no one around to interact with. Also when there are only ~15 people on board and the round is Nuke it can seem like half the crew is in red space suits.
Pararoid Wrote:I'd personally be more interested in one of a servers actually shutting down over the quietest hours of the night (The only times I can really play due to time zones ect.)

It can be annoying to see both server hovering around 14 players when they could be just having one decent game.

I'm not saying small games don't have their charms by the way but in generally some roles are pretty damn boring with no one around to interact with. Also when there are only ~15 people on board and the round is Nuke it can seem like half the crew is in red space suits.

Some of the most fun I've had has been in small games. Lots of cool stuff happens. People stick together more and stealth for antags changes because people are more suspicious of random dudes they haven't seen. In short please do not close a server at night because many people actually like it.

Also doesn't there have to be 20 people for Nuke to even come up?
I think in theory you're right and they can be really fun but the reality is the vast majority of these games have no Sec officers at all and Antags just stalk from department to department knocking off the single occupants in each while the others try to barricade themselves in or just bugger off into space.

I can see that charm of these games to some degree but when it's the only way you ever really get to play it gets a bit tiresome; it honestly feels like a single player game since you literally can't find anyone and when you do they are instantly extremely suspicious as to why you'd want to interact with them.
Are we talking times like 11-1am PST or more like 4-6AM? Also I hardly see 1 sec officer in games with 25-30 people, I think that's more of a sec attitude than a time thing.
Just to be a bit clearer, at around 5-6am server time there is often around 7-8 on one server and 10 or so on the other. If there were only one server for those rounds between say ~4am and ~8am they would still be small games, but they would at least be playable for people who don't want to do genetics research or go on a space mission, which is in general all that seems to get done on those rounds.
That makes more sense. I thought you meant the whole night. Might be a good idea but I can't say.