Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Remove the spatial tear event
I see a lot of people that think its nothing but annoying, including me
The spatial event tear is profoundly annoying, although rarely dangerous. However, it can pose a serious problem if it's between you and escape, which has happened to me a couple of times. It doesn't doom you to not escape - given that escape pods, disposal pipes, teleportation, and other gameplay mechanics exist - but it makes it a hell of a lot harder, and the fact that it spans the entire Z-Level makes it hard to navigate around.

On a related note, I appreciate that a lot of work has been put in with the Spatial Interdictor to try and combat this event and similar, but I don't think I've ever seen one of those in use once in my entire time playing. If nothing else, I'd like to see an extra interdictor kit lying around in engineering...or, give a kit to another random department, or have one in the QM's office on round-start. Interdictors seem like a really neat piece of equipment, and while they wouldn't deal with a station-spanning tear, they could at least make them suck less by allowing passage through main hallways. But they have to be installed for that to happen, which I see only sparingly (in my experience).

I'd be fine if the tear got the axe.
It's really nice for fishing. Besides that, i feel indifferent about it being gone or not.
(03-02-2023, 08:44 PM)Lord_earthfire Wrote: It's really nice for fishing. Besides that, i feel indifferent about it being gone or not.

And that's if the rancher dashes to the rift in time. I'd feel better about the event if more people could interact with it, or if you could toss people in
I say change it to just be a small tear you can go around easily, but add that creatures could come out of the tear.

What comes out is random.
(03-03-2023, 03:14 AM)Kotlol Wrote: I say change it to just be a small tear you can go around easily, but add that creatures could come out of the tear.

What comes out is random.

variations of questionable quality:
- The tear still goes across the whole map, but one side of the tear gets bees and the other gets wasps. (or other good/bad critters)
- Many small spatial tears that may or may not cause massive inconvenience depending on where they land
- The tear is actually a very wide white hole event
- The tear is actually a very wide black hole event
i wouldnt mind if it did anything besides blocking access. even spawning a few critters
I mean doesn't the event announcement say to avoid any unusual phenomena?  Should probably have some unusual phenomena associated with it.

Maybe entering the spatial tear spits you out on the other side at a random point.  (Which is likely to be space)
(03-04-2023, 04:30 PM)Mouse Wrote: I mean doesn't the event announcement say to avoid any unusual phenomena?  Should probably have some unusual phenomena associated with it.

Maybe entering the spatial tear spits you out on the other side at a random point.  (Which is likely to be space)

Exactly... this is why I say make it smaller like a tear in reality that spawns critters. Unlike a white hole that spits out crap.

And insted of the portal event that spits out antagonistic creatures.

These smaller tears will block off part of a station, but will spawn random critters, be it hostile, docile or critters who's behaviours do not add up.

Eitherway the tear should be more then blocking a huge part of the map. It just needs to be changed. Like going through it is allowed but it might do something.
Or randomly on the wrong side. It needs to do something else then "BLOCKING YOUR PATH HAHA"