Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Gas Mask Debuff Discussion
(03-01-2023, 11:39 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Make all your speech in the mask garbled

This just sounds like powergamers who wear masks will just speak even less which sounds like a bad thing.
Apparently gasmasks straight up make you immune to smoke ? Whats up with that ?
You can be standing naked with only a gasmask in a cloud of skinpen smoke and be completly fine ? Really ?

Maybe thats your nerf here. Make gasmaks have some chemical protection like any other protective clothing instead of magical immunity.

(Unless I complelty missunderstand how its works of course.)
(03-02-2023, 06:21 PM)Decarcassor Wrote: Apparently gasmasks straight up make you immune to smoke ? Whats up with that ?
You can be standing naked with only a gasmask in a cloud of skinpen smoke and be completly fine ? Really ?

Maybe thats your nerf here. Make gasmaks have some chemical protection like any other protective clothing instead of magical immunity.

(Unless I complelty missunderstand how its works of course.)

They make you immune from inhaling smoke, not the touch effects/skinpen. It's still pretty big, expecially paired with face coverage and no downsides.
(03-03-2023, 08:20 AM)colossusqw Wrote: They make you immune from inhaling smoke, not the touch effects/skinpen. It's still pretty big, expecially paired with face coverage and no downsides.

I've seen peoples stand in dense clouds of super hairgrownium with seemingly nothing but a gasmask and plain clothes and not grow moustaches. Maybe there is something off with that or maybe I'm missing something else.
(03-03-2023, 02:26 PM)Decarcassor Wrote:
(03-03-2023, 08:20 AM)colossusqw Wrote: They make you immune from inhaling smoke, not the touch effects/skinpen. It's still pretty big, expecially paired with face coverage and no downsides.

I've seen peoples stand in dense clouds of super hairgrownium with seemingly nothing but a gasmask and plain clothes and not grow moustaches. Maybe there is something off with that or maybe I'm missing something else.

Weird... that probably needs looking into then.. hmm.
Reasonably sure gas masks actually block skinpen smokes other than sarin at the moment, yeah.
I got a few other suggestions for the "nerfing part" and some of these make sense.

1: Limit some vision. So you can't see futher away. Not 3 x 3 but more or less you lose a little vision due to your limited visor.

2: Gas masks use double as much 02 then a breath mask when turned on. As it has more area to fill with 02. (This will also buff the breath mask for O2 use)

3: Decrease the O2 use by 1/4 or less but remove the always filtering system.

These are things I suggest. I think trade offs are nicer to have by now.

Personally? Limited Vision would be nice. And before you go: "What about antags?! THIS NERF'S THEM!"
Well why not make a special antag one that doesn't limit vision? I mean most antags when they gas bomb they are gonna be OBIVIOUS antags. I was thinking the Swat gas masks or maybe a different gas mask.
(03-04-2023, 03:46 PM)Mouse Wrote: Reasonably sure gas masks actually block skinpen smokes other than sarin at the moment, yeah.

Double checked. A gas mask alone doesn't stop the super hairgrownium skinpen. So I assume what I was seeing was some kind of chem prot stacking from unexpected sources ?
(03-04-2023, 10:38 PM)Decarcassor Wrote:
(03-04-2023, 03:46 PM)Mouse Wrote: Reasonably sure gas masks actually block skinpen smokes other than sarin at the moment, yeah.

Double checked. A gas mask alone doesn't stop the super hairgrownium skinpen. So I assume what I was seeing was some kind of chem prot stacking from unexpected sources ?

Iirc super hairgrowium needs a certain treshhold to meet to let you grow beards as well.
I'd like seeing some kind of of RP debuff for gasmasks, or just making them harder to get. On classic a lot of people use them to counter smoke bombs and can be easy to find depending on the map

Doesen't make much sense that someone who wouldn't be dealing with hazards to be wearing an uncomfortable mask all the time, so maybe make them give limited vision like others suggested, I imagine it could be sweaty to wear one for too long so maybe something like making you tired
wouldnt be surprised if the chemprot rework changed this and nobody's picked up til now. i'm unable to play atm but worth getting a definitive answer on if the chemprot change has messed up skinpen or not. use a goddamn reagent scanner or something

a minor stamina regen debuff for wearing a gas mask without active internals seems fine. maybe make voice changers remove this penalty.
I wear gasmasks because they look cool, not everything needs to be perfectly balanced. But if skinpen is broken on gasmasks then that needs to be fixed
(03-05-2023, 05:23 PM)mralexs Wrote: I wear gasmasks because they look cool, not everything needs to be perfectly balanced. But if skinpen is broken on gasmasks then that needs to be fixed

Same. I wear gas masks because the colors fit with my outfit.
Don't really care if anyone thinks I'm power gaming wearing a gas mask all the time because I look fly as fuck.
I honestly think the best option is filters that need to be changed every 20 minutes or so. It both adds a fun layer of realism/RP and doesn't hurt people who wear the masks for the appearance/part of their gimmick/lore.
Maybe we should add facegear that look color-wise more akin to gas masks (especially the swat/nukie one is rad as hell)? That would probably move a good chunk of RP players to switch to them.