Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
robotics docks power issue
the main problem is that a ton of power usage and shit was edited without considering the consequences of this upon game balance

i've talked a bit about it in admin discussion and on-station

a huge pr went out that redid a lot of power usage across the board; one of the things it did was turn cyborg charging into a one-to-one APC-power-to-borg-cell-power

now keep in mind that borg cells default to 15000 and the apc defaults to 2500. now consider that, as above, apc recharge rates are pretty heavily capped. you can probably figure out the probelm

the first attempt at fixing this added a magic bullshit power modifier, so that for every 1 unit of apc power, the borg got 3 units of power instead. this "solved" it in that borgs took less time to charge, but a full-charge borg would still drain the apc twice over

a second attempt at fixing it moved the multiplier so that it drained 1/3 and charged 1x, which still has the same problem (since, again, 15000 / 3 = 5000, double the default APC cell)

the power system is busted as fuck regardless for a whole host of reasons -- borgs are free infinite power (use the cell charger to recharge an apc, then recharge, repeat as needed), cell rechargers are free infinite power (always drain 50w regardless of what they're doing), etc

the potential ideal solution would probably require several different changes; i am not saying these are easily doable, just "what we would probably need"

- apcs should no longer rely solely on their own cell for power options
- if the external power is good and sufficient to power all use, the cell should not be used at all, and it the apc should remain auto-on even if the cell is low
- if something is drawing excessive power, it should be pulled from the grid first, and fall back to the apc if that doesn't work

that would give something of a buffer for APCs and a reason to dump excessive power into the grid; you'll still drain robotics or tool storage if the station power isn't sufficient but if there's enough power it shouldn't matter

i don't know how feasible this is because tbqh the entire powernet setup to me is confusing and incomprehensible

Messages In This Thread
robotics docks power issue - by Retrino - 02-25-2023, 06:59 PM
RE: robotics docks power issue - by Waffleloffle - 02-25-2023, 07:27 PM
RE: robotics docks power issue - by Decarcassor - 02-26-2023, 01:34 AM
RE: robotics docks power issue - by Kotlol - 02-26-2023, 12:41 PM
RE: robotics docks power issue - by Zamujasa - 02-26-2023, 02:14 PM
RE: robotics docks power issue - by BatElite - 02-27-2023, 08:57 AM
RE: robotics docks power issue - by Kotlol - 02-27-2023, 09:28 AM
RE: robotics docks power issue - by Kotlol - 02-27-2023, 01:00 PM
RE: robotics docks power issue - by Zamujasa - 02-27-2023, 02:08 PM
RE: robotics docks power issue - by TDHooligan - 02-27-2023, 06:52 PM