Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Make forensic scanners more automatic
I posted this in the SA thread but I'll copy it here so it doesn't get lost:

Quote:
Bloody Pom Wrote:On the subject of security, sec officers and the detective should make use of the forensics system more often, it's incredibly satisfying. In one round as detective I managed to snag a traitor scientist by finding his prints on the barman's riot shotgun. After setting Beepsky on him for unlawful possession of a firearm, the HoP and I managed to corner him in the crew quarters.

The forensics function is interesting, but a goddamn pain to use anything with. The only ways to search are by either clicking randomly in a PDA or using the terrible computer interface. I tried using it once to track down people and it's just too slow for how fast-paced rounds are.

An interesting experiment would be to display matching records with Forensics scans, like
Code:
Found 2 prints:
23580129857012958710958 - Pubbie Jones
98451049806219875155541 - No matches

It'd make there be a useful reason to delete/mangle records in the Security computer! You could even swap the fingerprints of people for devious design, since it'd likely make the system see more use.

And if it ends up being too awful, maybe put a global search into the PDA Security Records program. Paste in DNA or prints and it returns matching results, so you have to take some time to dig out the record but you don't have to go all the way back to a security checkpoint to do it.
It would probably make my little trick where I break into botany storage and steal a pair of black gloves as traitor that much more useful. Seriously it's kind of fun thinking that if a detective ever tries to investigate rogue occurrences they'll have a list of suspects that don't include me. unless the black gloves leave trace fingerprints or something.

Overall I like this idea.
Black gloves, to my knowledge, leave "Black leather", so you can tell it was someone wearing black gloves but not anything about who. (Insulated gloves leave "insulative fibers", etc.)
Should certainly be doable.