Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.8 Average
[MERGED PR] Health implants no longer send the coords of the implantee.
Thumbs Up 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

[BALANCE] [STATION SYSTEMS] [INPUT WANTED]

About the PR
Changes the health implants to no longer send the cords of the implantee. This applies to the normal and security ones.

Why's this needed?
Sec currently has a lot of things that let them know when an officer is in trouble, including announcing over coms, a button that sends an alert, and 2 alerts from their health implants (1 when they are in crit, another when they die.) This aims to give antags that ambush a sec off some more breathing room before sec finds them.

Changelog

Code:
changelog
(u)Wisemonster
(*)The health implants no longer send the coordinates of the implantee on an alert. The area is still sent.

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
The purpposed change just makes it so now the AI has to copy paste a message and be even more involved with security.

I would support it not alerting medbay.

Strongly opposed as is.
Between health implants, alert buttons, our easy and instant radio plus AI presence security has way, way too much monitoring on them right now making it a struggle for antags to engage when security is busy.
busy as in "well staffed", right?

I'd say it's a welcome change but the info is only relevant for 2 (or maybe 3) out of 5 heads, so it's kind of a messy change IMO. Agreeing with Katzen's assessment of sec though

I have to say as an AI I just filter out all the PDA alerts, so at one player's not gonna funnel alerts through to sec. :P
Honestly id rather just see health alerts changed to only go to medbay and only when security die, they already have on-demand alerts so I think this would be fine.
(02-16-2023, 03:53 PM)BatElite Wrote: I'd say it's a welcome change but the info is only relevant for 2 (or maybe 3) out of 5 heads, so it's kind of a messy change IMO. Agreeing with Katzen's assessment of sec though
I could make it so there's a new mail group for the cap, HoS/Ntsc, and maybe HoP, although the issue with this is that most of the time there isn't a HoS/Ntsc on duty, so if the captain is traitor, the only one who will receive the alerts will be med/chaplain (assuming this mail group isn't also given to the HoP.
I personally think removing the medical alerts completely, and further, removing the specific area they perished, would work best. that way sec would know people went down but it'd be on them to find out how or where, not just instantly know the second it happens and rush in there enmasse to catch the fleeing baddie supported by doctors and command and borgs and who knows what.
Not sure how I feel about this one, on one hand it seems like a solid idea that will give antags a chance to catch officers off guard without having the entire team after them, but making it easier to kill a secoff and get their gear without repercussions doesnt seem great. Not only that, but a lot of the time AI's arent very proactive over comms and when doing things, treating AI more as observer with extra steps. I can see this working in RP, but in classic where everyone does their own thing a lot of the time, nah.
I really do not think nerfing sec because they are being competent is the way to go here. This has been brought up before and I am still strongly against this. We should be encouraging sec to cooperate, not punish them for working as a team. The last time this was brought up the PR was closed, and I really don't think much has changed since then.

And I know I am not the only one who shares this opinion. These are some things said last time someone made a PR about security health alerts. https://forum.ss13.co/showthread.php?tid...alth+alert

"balancing the game around security being competent is a bad idea given its probably not too long before the competence fades once more" -Leeanei

"Having some form of counterplay to allow for gameplay depth could be interesting (method to squelch the crit alert) but as others have mentioned taking away a key part of team dynamics seems a little extreme." -Azrun

"Too many antagonists complaining about getting got by competent security lately so we're hurting the new ones" - Cal

The system as it stands promotes teamwork and helps new sec players to learn that expectation. I think the solution lies outside of punishing/nerfing teamwork.
Just make Security unable to send a message while stunned (Also unable to use Signalix Sci app while stunned, no popping off a TTV while batoned down). Then make the Signal Jammer stop the Security Alert from being sent out as well.

Last, maybe remove the UI element for the Security Alert program and put it in as an actual clumbersome app on the PDA like Port a Brig and such, and give Security back its flashlight (listen a lot of us like to wear non-helmets, also HoS has a beret with no light, give back PDA flashlight.)
(02-16-2023, 10:33 PM)ImJustAStrangeMan Wrote: I really do not think nerfing sec because they are being competent is the way to go here.

Every department receives nerfs because they get too good at using the tools at their disposal, sec isn't really an exception here.

Having that said, i think this change won't really stop security deathballing, because, like said by others, the messages would just be relayed from command to security.

And the emergency button is a far more severe in this regard.

Lastly, i am not sure we need a nerf in this direction. It should be extremely risky to attack security. So i think the health implant is fine as it is.
i wouldn't mind if an emergency callout instead happened a few seconds after death. gives traitors a little time to strip some gear off a solo officer (discourage solo suicide runs) but not enough to just drag em all the way to disposals.
I like the idea of adding a small delay to it, but one thing I'd rather see is the removal of the location of the officer and the crit message. Just a death alert with the officer's name, and no location, would be good. "AI track Dingus McSecoff!" which is responded to with "They're not on cameras" is spooky. One by one death messages to instill terror and all that. It would also promote cutting cameras if you're doing crimes in busier places.
(02-17-2023, 12:27 AM)RGBDeadSilent Wrote: Then make the Signal Jammer stop the Security Alert from being sent out as well.

already a thing

also huge no on putting pressure on command and AI to relay this. thjey will get SO MUCH SHIT for not doing it.
(02-17-2023, 07:15 AM)Cal Wrote:
(02-17-2023, 12:27 AM)RGBDeadSilent Wrote: Then make the Signal Jammer stop the Security Alert from being sent out as well.

already a thing

also huge no on putting pressure on command and AI to relay this. thjey will get SO MUCH SHIT for not doing it.

I agree with this.
Even I get annoyed when I die as security and everyone ignores the alert and never mentions it.
Don't put that pressure on Command and the AI... the AI gets thousands of alerts and requests per shift.