Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Command Pod Hanger
Hey look, two topics in one day by the same person! Anyway, I think that the command pod hanger (The little room above the bridge) should be accessible by the captain, and not just the HoS. I don't quite understand why it's an HoS only room in the first place, because all that is in there is a command pod, even though there are two of the much better industrial pods in a hanger that can be accessed by anyone, not just miners. If it is restricted to the HoS because of the laser cannons in there, just move those to the armory with the other pair, and make people use the taser cannons.
The second I posted that, I just had an even better idea: A security pod hanger. It would replace the command hanger entirely, and it would be a larger hanger with two or three security pods, all equipped with taser cannons, and maybe even some sort of tow rope that security could use to drag pods they've disabled back to the hanger and impound them. This would allow security to do something about artillery pod rampages, other then to just buy a fuck load of laser guns and shoot the thing one hundred times. The security pods would have to be painted some kind of light red color, and there would also be a few light red security spacesuits along with them. Maybe even put some sirens on the pods.
Hey look, another post from the guy that has nothing better to do. Someone might just want to rename this topic page to "Dumb crap McDogles thought of during his off time", because i'm going a tad far away from the original topic here.
Anyway, another suggestion of mine is that we should add the recipe for silicate to the chemistry wiki page, so that people might actually make the damn stuff and help the station. For those of you who don't know what silicate is (Probably because no one ever makes it), it strengthens windows when it is applied to them. It is best used with smoke powder to get more then one damn window at once. Silicate can be applied to windows four times, making the window stronger each time, to the point where a non-reinforced window that has had silicate applied to it four times is almost as strong as a crystal window. Also, silicated windows look fairly cool.
Another thing is that I think that a few key areas on the station should start with silicated windows, such as the brig, so that I don't have to keep taking away prisoner's shoes every time they try to break through the glass with them.
McDogles Wrote:Hey look, another post from the guy that has nothing better to do. Someone might just want to rename this topic page to "Dumb crap McDogles thought of during his off time", because i'm going a tad far away from the original topic here.
Anyway, another suggestion of mine is that we should add the recipe for silicate to the chemistry wiki page, so that people might actually make the damn stuff and help the station.
OK.
Quote:Another thing is that I think that a few key areas on the station should start with silicated windows, such as the brig, so that I don't have to keep taking away prisoner's shoes every time they try to break through the glass with them.
I personally love the drama of someone breaking out with their shoes.

Captains once had access to the command pod, but it was removed. I don't know the exact reason, but it was probably too common for the captain to fuck off into space and/or ruin nuke rounds.
Conor12 Wrote:Captains once had access to the command pod, but it was removed. I don't know the exact reason, but it was probably too common for the captain to fuck off into space and/or ruin nuke rounds.
Yeah, ignore my first post about the captain getting access to the command hanger, as I think that that place should just be removed all together and replaced with the security hanger I rambled about in my second post.
On the subject of breaking out of places, it needs to be possible to very, very slowly deconstruct a wall by hitting it with a spoon.
Dabir Wrote:On the subject of breaking out of places, it needs to be possible to very, very slowly deconstruct a wall by hitting it with a spoon.
+1 to that idea. I can just imagine beating at the wall whenever no one is looking, and quickly stuffing the spoon under a bed sheet when the HoS walks by, looking at you suspiciously.
Dabir Wrote:On the subject of breaking out of places, it needs to be possible to very, very slowly deconstruct a wall by hitting it with a spoon.
heh, I kinda like that. make it like welding a wall, so they need to have a wrench/crowbar to get through the girder. and have it be very obvious too. "Pubbie James takes out a small chunk of the wall with the spoon!" and have the wall slowly crumble away with every hit. I like it. (yes I know this is off topic, sorry)
Lavastage Wrote:(yes I know this is off topic, sorry)
Like I said before, the title of this topic should really be changed to "random shit McDogles thought of", so nothing here is really off topic. Also instead of having to use a crowbar or wrench, i think it should just make a small hole in the wall that you can crawl (Or should I say slide) through. I think other servers have a sprite for normal and reinforced walls that have been drilled that we can steal. If this does get added however, you should only be able to do drill through the wall with the spoon if you are wearing the prisoner's jumpsuit, so that people don't just forgo using tools all together and just use spoons to break into the bridge.
Conor12 Wrote:Captains once had access to the command pod, but it was removed. I don't know the exact reason, but it was probably too common for the captain to fuck off into space and/or ruin nuke rounds.
To be honest, when I'm the Captain on a nuke round, one of the first things I sometimes do is grab the RCD and get in to get the command pod anyway. Not often, because it usually backfires spectacularly, but it's not really a big barrier, just a nuisance.

Then there was the one time a security guard in a Strelka heard that the Captain had the command pod so he tried to chase me down, blow me up and kill me because, in his words, "you broke into that room" :downs:
One light red security pod with two light red spacesuits with tasers and the tow rope sounds pretty neat.
I'm pretty certain each wall has a damage level that is effected by bombs, just make items on the station damage walls a super tiny amount, so tiny that most crewmen won't even bother trying to take down a reinforced wall with a pair of clown shoes.

Also I'm not really bothered by the command hanger either way.

Maybe giving captain access would be a good idea, but I don't really care either way.
For the command pod hangar, remove the crate of laser attachments, there's already 2 I think in the armory.
Add instead a security locked crate containing the following:
1 Red paint: To paint the any pod red to make it look security-esque, using very typical security reasoning: "This pod is red, therefore it is the law"
1 Command pod armor: Just an 1 extra set, if the hos wants to throw this to the captain/other officer to attach to a pod manifold
1 laser Miniputt attachment: This requires a small bit of coding. Allows miniputts to fire a single lasers when attached

As far as the brig goes, there's not much reasoning to fortify the windows and/or allow prisoners to break out with spoons because:
A) The brig is meant to be broken out of, why would they use a spoon or anything else for that matter to wittle down a wall when there's a perfectly good window to smash.
B) Fortifying the window would discourage the above behavior, but it's rather shit tbh.
C) The only reason where walls would need to be wittled down would be in the solitary, but even then that's redundant because any officer that would leave you in that long is an asshole.

There's ways to break out of solitary without the walls being wittled down, if you have a oxygen, go to the window to the left, spacewalk for 2 tiles and you're on the solars, where you go from there is up to you.
There needs to be a dynamic in the genpop that doesn't require fortification, nor does it mean that the minute someone is brigged they immediately start hitting the window. A fun balance.

Why not add a tripwire on all the windows in genpop? It sends a security distress via pda (which already exists in code btw) if you walk on the tile where the grill is. Change the red tv in the brig to a full TV that has access to all the cameras.
Now there's a dynamic. You gotta smash the window on the far side without stepping on the tripwire, and you can use the TV to observe if there's any officers nearby before you make a run for it. It complicates things for the prisoner, but to me sounds so much more fun that than what's there.
I like sundances ideas.

It's already more convenient to do a tiny amount of prep work and break a hole into the bathroom or turn it into a reinforced false wall.

Turning it into a false wall has the advantage that security won't figure it out until it's too late.

If you plan on being arrested, or breaking someone out, turning the bathroom wall into a reinforced false wall is both kinda smart, and funny.

You could probably even smuggle funny things into brig, like zip guns or a flamethrower. Break the windows to trigger the tripwire alarms, then take security by surprise. Or just sell drugs in brig without telling security how you got in. Do some kinda dumb things like buy a few monkey/bee crates and then release them in brig. Act like you have no idea why genpop was turned into a zoo.

Now that I think about it, there are a lot of funny creative things you could do with genpop if you try hard enough not to get caught by security. Or have someone distracting the detective.

Also do pods have a siren? I think a pod with flashing lights and red paint would be funny.

You could have one guy man the speaker while the other drives.

PULL OVER, YOU ARE BEING ARRESTED FOR FARTING ON ME.
I would just like to add that hanging command pods onto hangers is a great idea and I fully support it.