Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Better emergency generator?
The experimental local generator is pretty horrible as-is, it burns most of a plasma tank to just partly charge a power cell and all it does is charge cells. I suggest that it be replaced with one that can burn things like a furnace and powers the local APC. Also keep the ability to run off a plasma tank intact if you happen to have some around, and give it a power cell charging slot. Basically make it a hybrid of how it is now and a furnace that magically powers APCs. It is balanced by its high cost and the fact that none exist on the station at start, to my knowledge.
Just make it better in everyway. No one ever buys it and when they do it's just to see what the heck it is and does and then it just gets ignored. Might as well make it into something someone would buy to actually use.
I have bought the thing twice. Once to use to charge a few power cells in the Mars base, and once to see if it is scannable (surprisingly it is). As-is, it is worse in every way than carrying around a pocket full of smaller, more-power dense, and more common power cells themselves.
Why not add the fuel tanks from flamethrowers as another fuel source.

You could make chemicals mixtures in chemistry to power chemistry.

How does this work?
SCIENCE???
^That and it should give power based on the plasma mix. It should also make arcs when it generates too much power.
Making the portable generator a science experiment sounds like a much better idea than just leaving it as is.

As dudes get smarter at making engine mixtures, making smaller scale plasma fuel mixtures shouldn't really be problem. Especially if they want to power areas like chemistry or genetics. In fact perhaps it could be possible to fully power more than one cell with the right composition.

I don't know much about chemistry but it sounds like sugar could be used as a potential fuel source, or crewmen could make some kind of rocket fuel mixtures and use that. The thing I don't really understand much of is the mechanics of that though but it could be neat if people were doing stuff with ethanol (botany plants?) or sugar.
atomic1fire Wrote:Making the portable generator a science experiment sounds like a much better idea than just leaving it as is.

As dudes get smarter at making engine mixtures, making smaller scale plasma fuel mixtures shouldn't really be problem. Especially if they want to power areas like chemistry or genetics. In fact perhaps it could be possible to fully power more than one cell with the right composition.

I don't know much about chemistry but it sounds like sugar could be used as a potential fuel source, or crewmen could make some kind of rocket fuel mixtures and use that. The thing I don't really understand much of is the mechanics of that though but it could be neat if people were doing stuff with ethanol (botany plants?) or sugar.

this would be awesome for telescience expeditions. hot wire it to the power grid of where ever you are, start exploring without having to jam open doors.
the intended use was for charging cells during power outages, since you can't charge them in that situation any other way. i was gonna add more to it hence the RPM stuff but then i didn't because i'm a lazy asshole with no style!!!! but maybe i'll make it cooler/make an entirely new generator Soon™®§♥
oh yeah and the one that exists in game now is the second revision i did, the first of which did power the nearest APC.

Q: why was that changed
A: w-well you see,