Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Give Glowing Slurry mutagenic effects when infused
It's just like the title says: allow for Glowing Slurry, when infused into plant seeds, to have mutagenic effects akin to infusing with Unstable mutagen, albeit with a higher chance to induce a mutation, more drastic stat increases/decreases, and a higher chance of gaining a favorable or unfavorable gene. To balance this, every infusion with Glowing slurry could have a 10% chance to give the "Unstable" gene to a plant.

For context: Glowing slurry is a highly-mutagenic substance that can be extracted from Omega Slurrypods, the only mutation of the hazardous Slurrypod plant. When poured into a plant's tray, it has a high chance of mutating it into a different mutant in that plant lineage, as well as a moderate chance of randomly giving the plant a gene and scrambling its stats, making it excellent if you want to get a certain plant's positive gene in a hurry. It's so powerful that I find it preferable to only pour the slurry into a plant tray once the plant is fully grown, as you can harvest it as soon as it gets whatever gene you were looking for, as waiting for it to fully grow is likely to have it get all of the good and bad mutations the plant can have. I would personally find it to be entirely superior to Unstable Mutagen, which botany has by default, except for the fact that Glowing Slurry has no effect on seeds when they are infused via the PlantMaster Mk. 3. This is unlike Unstable Mutagen, and is also unlike several other esoteric and dangerous chemicals that botany is unlikely to have on hand (like Uranium and Stable mutagen) that do cause mutations upon infusion.

Why change this? The only viable way of mutating seeds with the PlantMaster is with Unstable Mutagen, which is desirable for certain applications and mandatory for obtaining certain splices. However, this is remarkably inefficient, as the chance of getting a mutation from any given infusion is low, and you can blow through all of the starting mutagen just trying to get a mutation. Having a means for botany to generate their own mutagen that enables direct seed mutation and is more likely to induce mutations would alleviate these issues and potentially encourage botanists to try growing Slurryplants. Glowing Slurry's current lack of infusion effects also seems like a potential oversight, given that Glowing Slurry has such powerful in-tray effects on plants.
Huh, i thought this would already be a thing. Turns out it does work in trays, but not in infusions for some reason.
(02-07-2023, 05:24 PM)Lord_earthfire Wrote: Huh, i thought this would already be a thing. Turns out it does work in trays, but not in infusions for some reason.

You figure it's an oversight, then? That's sort of what it feels like to me.
if i'm remembering correctly it has a special, secret use in infusions that would not be helpful if this happened
(02-09-2023, 11:45 AM)TDHooligan Wrote: if i'm remembering correctly it has a special, secret use in infusions that would not be helpful if this happened
While I am cognizant of Goon's desire to have fun secret interactions to learn, I don't think these should exist at the expense of features that make more sense or improve quality of life in some way. Obviously, I don't think the existing secret interaction should go away, but maybe it shouldn't be applied to Glowing Slurry in particular.

My personal take is that it would make more sense for the secret interaction Glowing Slurry currently has be shifted to another chemical that botany is less likely to have on hand and that currently does act as a mutagen while splicing (e.g. Stable Mutagen, Uranium), or another unusual plant extract botany can get that doesn't do anything when spliced right now (e.g. ????, Booster Enzyme, Melonium)*. Glowing slurry looks nigh-identical to mutagenic formula, and its in tray effects reflect it being a mutagen quite strongly - I think giving it mutagenic splicing effects makes more sense than whatever secret use it currently has.

(If anyone in the know would be willing to DM me with information on the secret effect, so that I can better evaluate this situation and the current behavior of Glowing Slurry, I would appreciate it. Obviously, not to share it, just so that I can better understand why things are as they are.)

*Just going to disclaim that I haven't personally tested these chemicals out while splicing - maybe they DO have their own secret effects.