Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4.83 Average
Sleeper-agent Deaddrops
Lightbulb 
Been airing this idea out for a bit, and it seems there is a tad of interest, so here goes:

Ive been thinking about giving sleepers a bit more jazz. A random single low cost (around 1-6TC) syndicate item, anything from a mini-bible to a small gun. Stashed somewhere to find on the station as a dead-drop. Perhaps in a locker, cabinet or table drawer, or the toilet. With the item (or package) perhaps being invisible to others until the sleeper picks it up. (to prevent certain folk from searching everywhere once a sleeper event happens) And the item of course only spawned once a sleeper comes along.
The sleeper would of course get a location, and perhaps even a GPS to it.

An alternative could be to have them not have a package hidden, but instead have them say a provided code word in a specific random area. Wich would draw a lot of suspicion of course. (unless it might be a common word. so you might be able to hide it?)

The randomness of the item should still give the sleeper a lot more of the "make it up as you go" feel it has, but still give them a bit more to play with, and potentially give them new ideas or gimmicks. And of course make it feel a bit more like a undercover agent and less of "surprise you are a antag now goodluck"
It would also tie into actual sleeper agents, whom dead-drops are a common association.

It could also be a good excuse to put less... usual weapons or items into the playring. As the syndicate is more strained to keep things "secret", and might fx. send out old surplus weaponry instead. a greater domestic space-bee that's gunna cause some trouble

Do come with feedback! or edits to the existing idea!
Yeh
I'd say this is not a bad idea. Maybe have a stealth storage appear on the map and the notes will reveal the actual location?
a stealth storage! Much better than making something actually invisible. Allthough the sleeper does get a extra stealth storage from this. Using notes was the intent for the first idea of how to implement the deaddrop
Seems like an interesting idea, I'd be for it. I'd say the stealth storage idea is pretty good - the stealth storage itself is quite useful, but it isn't immediately weaponizable, can be used for gimmicks, and in terms of item cost it is pretty low. If the total amount of TC each sleeper agent "gets" (in terms of what they can get from the dead-drop) is around 3 TC, that would allow for either two 1 TC items or one 2 TC item to be stashed away in the storage. If you pulled from job-specific and general syndicate items, that could give the sleeper agents some cool gimmick items that they wouldn't normally use.

We might also want to opt to do some wackier things in terms of how these items show up. Maybe they spawn mid-round underneath a specific floor tile, and by following a set of instructions you'd have to find and rip up the tile to get the disguised stealth storage. Or maybe they spawn somewhere in space on the station's Z-level, and you need to use a space GPS to find it. This could go in a lot of cool directions.
I cant agree with this Idea more. Althought I can foresee the argument against this being it encourages people to be intuitive with what they have It has many down sides of effectively just giving someone antag status out of nowhere. My main issue with Sleeper agent as it is now is that despite its ability to be good is that its just boring. Theres no fun gimmick too it. Its kinda boring when your only options are Plasma fire, Rogue (difficultly depending on job) and the most common one by far being Bombings. The addition of this idea would provide some actual joy to someone rolling sleeper as it gives them a objective that they might actually want to go for. As mentioned before it also adds some extra fun by making the item random and low TC count as to make it extra interesting.
In conclusion, Excellent idea. I personally cant see why it wouldn't be a good idea. As a extra benefit maybe it will reduce some level of antag fishing since right now its far more beneficial for people to suicide to attempt to get the Far superior and far more engaging Midroll antagonist rather than sleeper. Adding this might actually make being sleeper be a desirable Antagonist to get.
Sorry that this is going on but Its just that my main issue with sleeper is that its just boring and that Most sleeper feel like they cant do anything unless for some reason they had gamered some Powerful item before becoming sleeper (such as Azone loot or just chance antag/sec loot). But my main point being is that it just makes being a sleeper seem more interesting if not adding them a ability to crime better.
(02-07-2023, 01:07 PM)RelentlessGarbage Wrote: If the total amount of TC each sleeper agent "gets" (in terms of what they can get from the dead-drop) is around 3 TC, that would allow for either two 1 TC items or one 2 TC item to be stashed away in the storage.

I'm down for this, doubly so if you end up in a department that's fit to bursting with others (ex a botany department that feels more like a sardine can) you can still do traitor things without having to rely on theft. It also still encourages you to use the tools of your trade to cover up any weaknesses your random assortment can get you.
this would be something fun to have on rp as you're definitely more constrained in what you can do as a sleeper agent
As an aside to this idea. It would be fun if upon recieving your first dead drop, you recieve an additional antag objective, from the standard pool (Assassinate X person, steal X item, have X objects on you) and upon completion of this objective, you recieve the location of another dead drop. This turns sleepers into a spy-lite style objective hunter if the person who rolls it wants to play it that way, or they do not feel their initial dead drop had the gear they wanted.