Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tanks -- Oxygen -- Oxygen Tanks--- Pocket-- ??? -- No Profit :( ... A horrible title
Right... I just want to talk about the change from 'Emergency' to 'Pocket' O2 tanks.
The below comparison does not hold any scientific or true value, but is mainly done by human notice.

---------- Wicked comparison -------------

Every crewmember spawning with a pocket tank in their o2 box
which is smaller in volume but available for everyone.
   Breathing time = ~5 minutes 

vs.

Roll of dice to spawn with an emergency tank in their o2 box
which is still small and fits in ya pocket but treated as a normal gas tank, filled by 1/12%
   Breathing time = ~5 minutes if not filled. ~20 minutes at max kpa & pure o2

I mean on paper... It sounds fine.
But have you seen goons atmospherics??? -- Yes, me neither.
Point is, one StaffAss breaks a window, the whole room/hallway is doomed within 2,3 seconds.
Now everyone has 5 minutes in their pocket and trips longer are impossible if you don't meta and bring 5 tanks(which others may are looking for).

This just seems like a huge QoL barrier.
Of course, the root issue still persists, but with the 'Emergency' tank you had the option to care less, help more and actually stay in zeroo2 for longer.
Once you found such a tank and had the access to pure O2 that is.

I dunno, long story short: 
Just wanted to ask how or even if the community has any feeling about those bloody O2 tanks.  Boogiebot

(02-04-2023, 08:59 PM)Redbacko Wrote: ---------- Wicked comparison -------------

vs.

which is still small and fits in ya pocket but treated as a normal gas tank, filled by 1/12%

From my experience, a filled O2 tank lasts you a whole shift, if you don't have it active while being in breathable atmosphere. An emergency tank is enough for most repairs or smaller building projects you need it for.

1 full small o2-container is enough to go trench exploring in a minisub. 2 if you really try to play safe.

Refills are all around the station. I think they are in a fine place.
I can see both sides of this. If you spend the money to add extra oxygen to your emergency oxygen bottle that starts in your internals box (via the oxygen vendors), you get a surprising amount of leeway when walking around in a depressurized station. But, on the other hand, if you somehow lose your internals - which has happened to me - you can get utterly screwed over. Trying to scavenge for oxygen on a ship that has been massively depressurized with Antags on the loose is a fricken nightmare.

If the amount of oxygen in those starting oxygen bottles was doubled, but you were far less likely to find a second bottle, I think it would be a fine compromise. You're not meant to be living off internals anyhow, but if push comes to shove that amount of oxygen should allow all of the crew more time to do things in a vacuum, including doing ship repairs to get things back to normal.
(02-05-2023, 02:49 AM)Lord_earthfire Wrote:
(02-04-2023, 08:59 PM)Redbacko Wrote: ---------- Wicked comparison -------------

vs.

From my experience, a filled O2 tank lasts you a whole shift, if you don't have it active while being in breathable atmosphere. An emergency tank is enough for most repairs or smaller building projects you need it for.

1 full small o2-container is enough to go trench exploring in a minisub. 2 if you really try to play safe.

Refills are all around the station. I think they are in a fine place.

Ayee of course a full big tank will carry you for the whole shift.
But this, first of all, requieres a big tank. Backpack or hands slots? say goodbye.

Maybe it's just me or the dumb ass title I put this though.

But this was meant as emergency tank complaints.
Apparently there arent't many thinkings about it, I'm glad.

Still I hate patrolling airless corridors.

Beam us up, Scotty!